PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 3/22

LJ
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Finally, i will get a chance to go fishing. Tommorrow at D.V we are leaving at 6:00 will be there by7:30 and should be on the water by 8:00

thumbuster
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
LJ, Hope you have a great time. I was there today... caught a few average size trout toplining F5 rapalas at about 2.3 MPH The bite was a little slow today, I fished from 8:00 till about 12:00 without a bite. All my fish were caught about a two hour span. Don't give up to soon
There were alot of boats today so it was hard to troll right where I wanted to. Most of the boaters were pretty well behaved . You just have to maneuver your way thru the traffic.

Good Luck, Gary

MarlinMaster
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Was there today. I'll be there tomorrow.

It was fair. We ended up with 6 in the boat with the biggest at 1.5#.

Nothing remarkable. Lots of people.

Call on 69.

ryanerb
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Lots of people? On a friday? Must be a bunch of retired lucky people. I've worked for 21 days straight, I dream of getting out on the lake, let alone on a Friday. I'm supposed to work this weekend too, but I think I begged to get Easter off, so at least I got a day.

Hmm... slow action... wonder if its the warmer water, full moon? I know i mentioned that before, perhaps this isn't the case, but they might go hand in hand.

Kevman
03-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm really excited to get out there tomorrow, the portable fish finder showed up today so I won't be AS blind as usual. Takin' the pops out for a spin, so it's really a double win- I'm fishing and I get a chance to hang out with the old man.

If we can put some fish in the boat that will be even better ;D

I'll probably have my green fleece on and my black beanie and we'll (most likely) be in a 16' rental boat. Wave or holler Fish Sniffer so I can laugh and explain it to my dad 8-)

Troutoholic
03-21-2008, 10:57 PM
ill be on the shore around eight, look for the ugly pink and blue beach umbrella's :-[ 8-)-TK

johnbfishin
03-22-2008, 03:56 AM
*There were alot of boats today so it was hard to troll right where I wanted to. Most of the boaters were pretty well behaved . You just have to maneuver your way thru the traffic.

Better get used to it folks. With the price of gas and the closing of the Salmon season DV will be busy this spring. 8-)

LJ
03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Made it out today, I met woody at the end of the day by the launch ramp, apparently I fished the wrong end of the lake :-/
We put the boat in the water around 8 O clock or so, and immediatly started trolling towards the dam ,we had a jointed Rapala on one rod , an Apex on another ,and the other 2 rods had U.L. spinners with crawlers on them., it took awhile to get to the dam, and we picked up one little one on a U.L spinner about 3/4 of the way there. once we got to the dam we headed down the rock wall and immediatly caught a 5Lb. on the other U.L spinner. We trolled for awhile with nothing. I tried on some Rapala minnows, some excel lures, , then I put on a U.L Power spin with some sherbet Power bait on it, and wham we catch our third fish in about 5 minutes, so I put a second Power Spin on and next pass we catch a monster,12.5 pounds. So then I put them all around and on our next pass we get a take down, but loose the fish. By this time we have to pick up and head home. Finished the day with only 4 fish, but a five and 12.5 pounder were a nice day.

ryanerb
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow, does sound like a great day LJ... Trollin w/ powerbait... nice trick.

LJ
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, does sound like a great day LJ... Trollin w/ powerbait... nice trick.

Those lures are designed to troll Power bait. The real secret is keeping the power bait from coming off the springs.. Also something I didn't mention, that all the fish we caught today were at either 15 or 20' deep O.T.W. We didn't get any action on our top stuff today

ryanerb
03-22-2008, 06:28 PM
dumb question, OTW? means on the weight? meaning on the downrigger? ahhh man, thats a bummer, but good to know. i was going to rent a boat tomorrow, but if i wont get anything toplining, and without a downrigger, might not be worth it.

bowmasta
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice report LJ, lets see a pic of that monster 8-)

LJ
03-22-2008, 06:36 PM
dumb question, OTW? means on the weight? meaning on the downrigger? *ahhh man, thats a bummer, but good to know. *i was going to rent a boat tomorrow, but if i wont get anything toplining, and without a downrigger, might not be worth it.

OTW means on the downrigger wire. I am not saying that you won't catch fish on top, Woody said they hammered them at the other end of the lake ,opposite the dam, I am not sure if he was topling or not, hopefully he will post. If you go to the dam, I wouldn't topline I didn't see very many nets today out there , and there were quite a few boats, almost all of which were on the top as far as I could tell.
But definantly go there tommorrow if you had planned on it. I went because I read all the post how guys were hammering them this week, now that I go back and reread those post they say that they were on the other end of lake. My goof. :'( :'(

LJ
03-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice report LJ, lets see a pic of that monster *8-)

I am supposed to be getting one e-mailed to me.

ryanerb
03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Alright, the south end it is!

duckhuntwater-guy
03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
LJ,

I would say anytime you catch a 12.5lbs trout you are having a good day. ;D

DHWG

Kevman
03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
LJ,

I would say anytime you catch a 12.5lbs trout you are having a good day. ;D

DHWG

SERIOUSLY!

Hell, that would make my year!

tragedyspring
03-22-2008, 09:42 PM
You guys dont fish Del Valle that often do you? Right now the smaller fish are more abundant, but usually 5 lb is AVERAGE for this lake. Ive caught a 9.14 lb and a 10.1 lb trout there in the past few months. I lost track of how many fish over five pounds. Because of this I had to buy a bigger net and a scale. I lost a fish bigger than the two I actually got into the net. He was too long and had to be at leat 12-14 lbs. It was the first time I almost cried over a fish. ;D ;D ;D but really its like this >:( :'( >:( :-[

LJ
03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Here is the pic. if I can gert it to post My buddy took it in his kitchen before filleting it.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2489/0322081923rp5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fishmaster
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Right place, Right time, Right lure, Right on!! congrats, that's a toad.

ryanerb
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, that is a monster! Powerspin it is! Haha, was it toplined or OTW?

LJ
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Wow, that is a monster! *Powerspin it is! *Haha, was it toplined or OTW?

It was 20' OTW.

Woody
03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
LJ nice meeting you at the dock on saturday. I was wondering if you were going to post a picture of that slab. I had a hard time getting fish to stick on Saturday must of had 30 take downs but only two of them stuck. I changed all the hooks out on the lures I've been using with new Owner hooks so I should be good to go. later this week. There was a lot of boat traffic in the south end with people just joy riding around.

See you on the water
Woody