PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 777 --- 3-23-08

ryanerb
03-23-2008, 06:41 PM
So I told the boss, sorry, it's Easter, I can't work. Went to 7am Church service, then headed up to Del Valle. Was on the water at 930, in 1 of 7 rental boats left. Compared to the stories Saturday, I couldn't believe there were 7 boats still left. So I just had to start trollin near the dam, cause everyone seems to want to fish there. Trolled all the way from the marina, into Swallow, through the Narrows, around Heron with a 3/8 Gold Kastmaster and F5 Fire Tiger toplined. Nothing. Finally around 1130 I land a fish in Heron. A dink, maybe 12". I troll around a little bit more, I think I got a hit in the narrows, but didn't get on it fast enough. Finally gave it up, and said I'm going to the south end. Started trollin, fooled around in the river entrance a little. Then trolled around a little more, finally I found em'. Ended up hitting 6 trout in the next two hours from 2:30 till 4:30 in the south end. Fairly small, 12-16". I was waiting for their mama to bite so I could get a 10lb trout. I switched to double F5's. Seemed to do the trick. I was pretty disappointed in how the fish fought. Some felt like they swam right to my boat. Only 1 or 2 fish made some mini runs. I guess I need the 5lb+ to get a fight. I'm pretty sure I saw fishmaster down there around 230 and then he left. I tell you what, trollin 2 rods in a rental boat w/ no rod holders and one guy is a mess waiting to happen. I didn't know how to hold onto the rods and motor, so I strapped one to my backpack and one to my fishing bag for fear that the 10lb'er would come and yank my rod into the lake. Everytime I had a fish, it was a fiasco to unstrap the rod, and worry about it tangling w/ my other line. It was pretty funny though, one time I even fell backwards haha. Had to have been a nice entertainment show for everyone watchin haha. It was a beautiful day out there as stated in the other reports. I couldn't believe the amount of people in the picnic area. I gotta say perhaps 70/day for a boat was kina a bummer but it was well worth it cause I was dying to get out there. Thanks to everyone on the board for the tips, Woody, fishmaster, etc. Maybe I didn't catch 17 like fishmaster, but 7 will do :)
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/ryanerb/trout.jpg

fshrmn
03-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Good job Ryan.. Looks like you had a good time. Glad you got to take the day off and enjoy yourself and thanks for the report.... That 10lber is waiting for you on ur next trip.

Troutoholic
03-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Hell yeah Ryan , glad you finnaly found em.... keep up the work and you'l find mama ;D

kokedealer
03-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Big ups man, thatís way better than everyone we saw out yesterday. Two of us trolled for 5 hours, mostly near the dam, the edge of heron and the edge of swallow, tried everything I knew to, from faster with plugs, all the way down to way slow with crawlers behind sidekicks, and power mice for one bite and no fish.

That finalized my weekend skunk.

I got owned.

BTW, we were in the 12í crestliner duck jon with the merc. Say whatís up if ya see my out there.

Once again, nice job!

ryanerb
03-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Big ups man, thatís way better than everyone we saw out yesterday. Two of us trolled for 5 hours, mostly near the dam, the edge of heron and the edge of swallow, tried everything I knew to, from faster with plugs, all the way down to way slow with crawlers behind sidekicks, and power mice for one bite and no fish.

That finalized my weekend skunk.

I got owned.

BTW, we were in the 12í crestliner duck jon with the merc. Say whatís up if ya see my out there.

Once again, nice job!

You know what, I think I saw you around 1-2pm trolling back near swallow. I was in a rental swerving around in a bright white hat, single guy, 4 rods stickin up. Ya, south end was key. I wasted my time in the north end. Maybe if i had down riggers, I could have done better. For toplining, the south end seems to be better, because there is less water for the fish to fill, so toplining will reach them. 100 ft of water near the dam, the fish may not be in the top 10ft.

Ryan

kokedealer
03-24-2008, 10:15 AM
hehehe, we got our swerve on too ;)

thanks for the added info

see ya next time maybe

HeyNiceFish
03-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Lots of fish were hanging out between the Dam and Heron Bay on the fishfinder. Topped line F5 Firetiger did the trick. Didn't try the south end of the lake, maybe next time when i go back out there.

ryanerb
03-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Lots of fish were hanging out between the Dam and Heron Bay on the fishfinder. Topped line F5 Firetiger did the trick. Didn't try the south end of the lake, maybe next time when i go back out there.

Pretty sure I saw you out there. Did you see me hook up around 11am right in front of your trolling path? I had the bright white hat on in a rental boat? I saw an arima out in that area a lot. How many did you guys end up with? Weird, I just wasn't gettin the fish in that area.

HeyNiceFish
03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think i saw you out there. Maybe i did. Saw a group of people in a rental boat hook up where we were. We got 4 trout and 1 striper. Few hit and missed.