PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid, out of the boat!  What a difference!

mrsockeye
03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
All I have to say is "Ha Ha!" It was about time to have a good day out on the water. I got my boat out for the first time this season, and everything went perfectly. No problems after a long winter. :) :) :) It was a little windy this morning. We trolled from Pelican towards Spider Point. We didn't get anything till Windless Bay, then it was RED HOT. We picked up 8 fish in about 20 minutes. As soon as I'd get the downriggers down, FISH ON! We were getting them 20 ft down. I had myself and 2 other guys, 3 rods total, 2 downriggers and a stacker clip. One time I put out my bottom rod down 7ft., then as I'm letting out the top rod for the stacker clip... SLAMM!!! Fish knocked it hard. EXCITING :D We continued to troll, and I may made a mistake not to troll right back through that area. The fishing slowed, and an hour later when we came back through...nothing. I picked up 1 more fish and we went across the lake to Freemont's Island. We trolled the East Side of the Lake for a couple more hours. We got about one an hour for the rest of the day. They went deeper, we got all of them over there between 25 and 36 ft. The lures for the day were Needlefish, Kwikfish, Apex, jig behind a dodger, and J-Plugs. We caught fish on everything, Kwikfish were best. Sorry, no pictures, the camera had a dead battery. :'( Biggest 5 fish were all 22.5" cookie cutters, all on the east side of the lake. I think I saw ChicFishing ( Blue Ford Explorer and a Gray HarberCraft with Merc outboards?) on our way out. We were parked by the Sani-Huts adorned with FishSniffer stars.

GOLDENTROUT
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Good job. That wind was cold out there today, not bad just cold! The fishing is getting better!

mrsockeye
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
You must have left before it got nice out. It was perfect this afternoon. The fishing was better this morning though. We didn't get any on the Frog Flatfish, but Frog Needlefish spanked um.

Captain Compassion
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
All I have to say is "Ha Ha!" *It was about time to have a good day out on the water.

Great day Mr. S. Hope Pyramid is getting better. Going to hit it in August.

CC

Berryessa Kid
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow Sockeye great report :o It sounds like you had a lot of fun!
No flat tires, forgotten plugs, out of gas stories etc. Great trip 8-)

drstressor
03-22-2008, 08:02 PM
We continued to troll, and I may made a mistake not to troll right back through that area. The fishing slowed, and an hour later when we came back through...nothing.

Aah, the joys of fishing for spawners at Pyramid. :P

They are all grouped up by now and it's feast or famine. They move between a couple of feet of water out to about 35 ft in the bays and over deeper water off the points. At least they still hit readily if you find them this time of year. By mid April, they get really weird. I often fish the East side in April just to find some non-spawning fish that act normal.

mrsockeye
03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh the part I forgot to add. The best part was I took out a buddy from work. He has lived in Reno his whole life and never fished Pyramid. He caught not only his first fish from Pyramid, but he also got about 5 more. I don't think he has ever fished off a boat with downriggers and a fish finder... I think it blew his mind. [smiley=mind-blowing.gif] :o