PDA

View Full Version : truckee 3/17 pic/report

fishwish
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2sbn4ld.jpg
great day on the catch and release section of the truckee. *Fished from 11 till 2. *Caught 3 browns, one bow. *Fished near 2nd boca bridge. *All fish came from same deep slot, 3 on the way down one on the way back upstream. *Rainbow was the nicest fish :D, hefty and beautifully pink. This brown is the fourth and probably smallest of the day. *I was struggling with the catch, photo and release thing :-/- I need more practice or I'd rather just enjoy the fish. *Water is still clear, actually perfect- a little hazy. *And I think the fish are relatively naive right now after their brief winter reprieve. All caught on a homemade jig bugger kinda thing. *Gonna have to call it the jigger bug ;).

Athlete24
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
What's the size of that brown? If that is the smallest that had to be a pretty good day. Nice report and make sure you keep the pictures coming, it adds so much to see the fish.[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Captain Compassion
03-17-2008, 06:33 PM
great day on the catch and release section of the truckee.*

Beautiful. You done good rookie. ;)

CC

troutfan
03-17-2008, 06:48 PM
great day on the catch and release section of the truckee.*

Beautiful. You done good rookie. ;)

CC

You may be a rookie on the Sniffer but it's obvious you're no rookie on the water. Thanks for sharing! 8-)

fishwish
03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
thanks sniffers for the confidence boost.

I forgot to mention the otter. On the opposite bank, a weasel looking critter was dippin and swimmin around. Must have been an otter. Surely winter is over.

SlamminAmador
03-17-2008, 10:43 PM

I forgot to mention the otter. *On the opposite bank, a weasel looking critter was dippin and swimmin around. *Must have been an otter. *Surely winter is over.

Its amazing you caught any fish with those varmits swimming in the water, they usually scare everything away..gorgeous brown there fishwish good job...Marty

MattMan
03-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Nice job, Fishwish. That's a pretty brown you got there. Thanks for the report and photo! ;)

red_perception
03-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the boards! Sounds like a Great day to me Brother ;) Congrats on some quality fishing. Good luck, Eric :)

GOLDENTROUT
03-18-2008, 06:27 AM

I forgot to mention the otter. *On the opposite bank, a weasel looking critter was dippin and swimmin around. *Must have been an otter. *Surely winter is over.
They are mink's. The Truckee river is full of them! Good job, with the fish keep it up ;)
Tight lines GT.

drstressor
03-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Yep. Minks, not otters.

BTW, how deep and how fast were you trolling? ;) ;D

fishwish
03-18-2008, 09:04 AM
yah, a mink makes more sense. would make a nice chestnut brown hat.

drstressor, I was flingin it across and up and reeling real slow and twitching every second or two. fish seemed to hit on the swing.

BTW, that was my best day on the truckee. started fishin it last summer.

drstressor
03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I was flingin it across and up and reeling real slow and twitching every second or two. fish seemed to hit on the swing.

I was just kidding. You aren't supposed to give out info on catching browns. ;)

Maybe you should meet Mr. Ed. ;D

fishwish
03-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Mr. Ed mentioned something about dry posts. Those aren't as good though. And I sure have enjoyed the juicy articles by the Weez.
seems like I'm the only spin caster on the whole river anyway ;D

billfisher
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
fishwish - It sounds like you are really on to something with the marabou jigs for the deep Truckee holes. You are basically fishing with a weighted bugger and drifting down deep which should be just the ticket at this time of year. It looks like you are having a great time. Keep it up.

isdaann
03-18-2008, 11:24 AM
are the streams open ?

SurfRider8
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Not a bad day on the Truckee, Nice... What does your homemade jiggerbuggy look like?

Does anyone know how many minks in a coat?

billfisher
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
isdaann - The streams and rivers are not open in many of the districts located in California, but the Truckee spends a good part of its life in Nevada, and has a winter catch and release with barbless, artificials only section in California from November 16th through the Friday before the last Saturday in April.

mrsockeye
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't know what you all are talking about, there aren't any fish on the Truckee. That little crick ain't got nothing but little dinks in it. ;)

billfisher
03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Mr. Sockeye - I guess you are right. On my screen the brown trout in the picture only measures about 3.5 inches. Hardly worth the bother ;)

The_Big_Sinus
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
It sounds like you are really on to something with the marabou jigs

One of my very favorite stream lures... So-o-o-o-o seductive...