PDA

View Full Version : Hellyer LAke surprize

justme
03-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Stopped by this little lake on the way home from work last night just to get some fresh air and relax maybe take a nap. The lake is called hellyer lake really small in south San Jose. When I got there I saw some people fishing but did not think much of it. I parked sat back and watched. Within 5 minutes I saw 4 fish caught. I only live 5 minutes away so I went home grabbed my stuff changed cloths and headed back. I tied on a silve cast master and on the second cast caught a nice 12 incher. Then nothing for about 15 minutes. There was a lady fishing near me aans she was killing them on this little orange jig. She gave me one because I did not have any and on the second cast I had another fish then nothing. I tried that for abot 30 more minutes for nothing then I lost the jig to a snag. I tied the silver cast master back on and on the next 3 casts I had 3 more fish. All about 12 inches except one about 14 inches. All of these planters had nice full tails. I know they are planters because this lake does not have holdovers. Too smal and gets to hot during the summer and all the locals fish the heck out of it. Oh well the skunk is off finally for the year. ;D

lunchbox5150
03-12-2008, 08:21 AM
If its the same lake i'm thinking off it's called cottonwood lake that is right off of hellyer? and you are right i go there and kill everytime i normaly net my limit in about an hour i never threw a kastmaster out but i will have to try. i get them with bubblegum power eggs like it's going out of style.

the other really good thing is thay stock that lake with about 500-750lb and about 6 or 7 lunkers just about everyother week.

that is where i'm going to be going on sat so if anyone stop's by i'll be there by the little bridge come over and say hi

CountryBoy
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
If its the same lake i'm thinking off it's called cottonwood lake that is right off of hellyer? and you are right i go there and kill everytime i normaly net my limit in about an hour i never threw a kastmaster out but i will have to try. i get them with bubblegum power eggs like it's going out of style.

the other really good thing is thay stock that lake with about 500-750lb and about 6 or 7 lunkers just about everyother week.

that is where i'm going to be going on sat so if anyone stop's by i'll be there by the little bridge come over and say hi

How exactly do you get there? I live in hayward. Thanks
CountryBoy

mark33
03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
101 south. Take the Helyer Ave. Exit, and you'll see Cottonwood lake on the left hand side. I use to live minutes from this lake as well, and fished it as a kid. Good to hear that they still sock it, and with 6-7 lunkers? Sounds like that could be fun. The lake also has catfish, carp, and Sacramento Pike. I think there are also LM Bass as well.

Anyway, good luck to all that fish this lake.

lunchbox5150
03-12-2008, 09:20 AM
another good thing is that it's only 6 bucks to park that is it. you dont have to buy and extra fishing permit like you do at any eastbay regional park

ducman
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Stopped by after work today and tried the usual Powerbait green, chartruese, white and yellow, got the spinners out, tried multiple panthers and kastmasters, finally caught one 12" on yellow and red dot panther martin with scent, it already looks fished out, no one else was catching got there 4:30 and left at 6:30
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/ducman998/Hellyer/100_0942.jpg

justme2
03-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I was there again today too and only caught 2. hat a difference a day makes. Ended uo at stevens creek and caught my limit in 30 Minutes on the damn.

B-RAN
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
nice job reminds me of my local lake ;D we always go there and slay the heck out of them and use the same stuff you were using :)

bob80
03-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Where is steven's creek?