PDA

View Full Version : Useful Beardsley information

twoelk48
03-12-2008, 05:04 AM
;) I camped up at Lake Beardsly last week with Larry Harms during which time the high day temp was in the mid 60s and the lows were in teh mid 30s according to the stats from the power plant operator. The lake was over 200 feet from being full and the baot ramps were more than 100 feet from being usable so launching is being done off the shore and small light weight boats and trailers at this time are reccomended plus 4 wheel drive for the extra safety factor. Again according to the stats provided by the power plant operator water temp coming into the lake was 39 degrees. I caught most of my fish using brass half fast trolling blades and a Uncles Larry Glow Two Hot Tiger spinner that I replaced the hooks with Owner's #2 straight shank worm holder hooks and threaded half a night crawler on too. Most of the fish I caught were at 100 feet behind the boat and all but 1 were rainbows and the majority of thtem were loaded with cocopods. These parasites do not effect how well the fish eat thank goodness. Several of the male rainbow were colored up for spawning and full of sperm while the eggs in the females were underdeveloped. The lake came up about 2 feet during our stay and as you face the dam at the right cornor of it and about 20 feet out is the intake for the power house that was above the water when we first started fishing but as I drove out Sat morning was jsut beginng to go under the surface that could be a real obstical for boaters and downriggers. To bad there is not a ball on one of the front cornors marking this as a afety hazard. To get to Beardsly you head up
to the town of Sonora and up Highway 108 past Strawberry then turn to the right off 108 and drop down into the lake about 7 miles down the road. There is a web site for Tridam project .com who is the power operators of the lake with useful information and also the ph number at Beardsly Powerhouse is (209) 9653214 and by calling that number you can learn if the gate is open or clsoed. Currently it is open but should we get another snow it could be closed so it is a good idea to call before making the long journey up there. Thanks for the invite Larry Sheba and I had a great time, Kent this report was late due to putor problems and me off on another fishing trip at Don Pedro.

dano
03-12-2008, 05:16 AM
twoelk,
good info on beardsley. I really like going down there. Never had the Phone # either. I wouldn't turn right off 108 tho unless I was coming down the pass from Kennedy Medows. If you're going up 108 from Sonora you turn left. Its marked on the road but easy enough to pass right by. Also quite a drive down and a good drop in altitude.
dano

twoelk48
03-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Thanks for correcting me your right about turning left off 108, Kent

HBFishin
03-12-2008, 06:05 PM
How was the camping? Is there much/ any snow in the campground?

steveo79
03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
For now, there isn't snow down at the lake, that may change in the next 48 hours. there is talk of snow down to 3500 ft. but we will see. You know how weather forecasters are...

twoelk48
03-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Campites had no snow when we were there but there was snow very near by. I suspect it should be white tonight and this weekend thats why I gave out the ph number so you can check, Kent

dano
03-13-2008, 04:32 AM
My only concern with camping down there, is getting caught there if it snowed overnight. This time of year is very un-predictable. Hard to stay away from there though. It's just too great of a place.
dano

Valley_Fly_Man
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Is the gate open to the afterbay? Anyone catching anything on flies in the main lake?

steveo79
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Is the gate open to the afterbay?

There is a web site for Tridam project .com who is the power operators of the lake with useful information and also the ph number at Beardsly Powerhouse is (209) 9653214 and by calling that number you can learn if the gate is open or closed.

sigh.... ;)