PDA

View Full Version : Don Pedro 3/11/08

twoelk48
03-12-2008, 05:33 AM
One word best describes today's fishing experience at Don Pedro :-/ DISASTRODUS ;D. I went with Gerald Schoonhaven in his boat and with Joe Clements and we launched from the Moccisan Boat ramp. I had reliable reports of fishing on the surface rolling shad for some nice rainbows and king salmon so we thought we would give it a try. As we made our way toward Woods Creek we saw numerous fish busting the surface. Now some of these were Bass but therer were a few big trout seen and out the shad went. Without any takers I decided to go on the wire :-? not a real good decesion for Woods Creek is known to feast on downrigger weights and sure enough before I know it Im hung up on a tree 30 feet down :-/. The next thing I know the 5 foot metal boom looks like a bow at full draw :-/ not a pretty picture and then it snaps :'( I wind up making another donation to the Wood creek fish gods ;D. Lesson learned do not and I repeat do not tie your down rigger weights even if you use one of those rubber snubbers that are as thick as my baby finger directly to your down rigger cable. There needs to be a breakway device that you tie your weight to the cable so you don't tear equipment up but just loose your weights. I know an individual who didn't do this and sunk a commercial fishing boat when he hung up a 20 lb ball on an reef at Monterey.
Next disaster was trying to free my line off the tree, :o did any one here a crack like from a 22 rifle? That was my pole breaking :'( grrr. So after regrouping and getting things back in working order we try rolling shad on the surface and at 30 to 50 feet for nada. We then head down to the flume area and powerline but more disaster is on the boat with us. Joe's stomach is giving him fits so we make 3 trips to the floating restrooms, thank god we have those available. Still nada and we try
a bit around Six Bit for nada although I do see some good looking bait balls here and there.
Now for the kill ::) we are going along and the kicker motor comes off the bracket and is suspended 6 feet under the water hanging in 200 plus feet of water :o. We managed to get two ropes on it and bring it back on board deciding perhaps we werren't meant to fish and call it a day :-/.
Oh did I mention on the way home we are planning Thursdays fishing adventure ;D? Kent

sloteke234
03-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Thats too bad about you rigger. I hung up a couple times at Melones last weekend but was fortunate enough to get it loose without any harm. You sure wouldn't think you would be hooking up trees in 120' of water with only 30' of cable out. Been planning a trip to Pedro but now might wait to get a report that the wicked witch has flown the coop.

steveo79
03-12-2008, 05:59 AM
All I can say to that is, WOW! Hopefull you can now go through the rest of '08 problem free, as you seem to have used up all of your years worth of bad luck, in one trip.

Oxbow
03-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Better luck next time Twoelk, a real bummer.

It is very important, especially on a small boat to set the clutch on your downrigger so that it just keeps the weight from free falling. That way line will play out if the weight hangs up and give you some time to consider if you want to cut the cable. Keep a cable cutting device handy and don't all go to the same side of the boat at the same time on a small boat.

Slapabow
03-12-2008, 06:52 AM
How do you comment about that trip :-/
At least you are able to fish again another day.
I made some weights out of 1 3/8" stainless
solid round bar about 18" long, have not
hung yet.Perfect for shallow rigging.Too much
swing back for the deep stuff though.
You got a read on mc clure yet?
Kevin.

clamkin
03-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Kent, sorry to hear about the rough day on the water. Fortunately you have a sense of humor as evidenced by the planning for the next trip.

Now I'll stop complaining about the slow bite and the tackle eating trees we ran into there on Sunday. :-/

fishguts
03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Oh did I mention on the way home we are planning Thursdays fishing adventure ;D? Kent

Thats the way, don't let a little glitch stop ya, rally back and show'em whose the boss.

twoelk48
03-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Looking back on yesterdays fiasco maybe someone can help. When fishing out of my boat I check things like the drag on my Cannon downriggers incase I get hung up and know where my cutters are for worst case scenario. How do you adjust the drag on Scotties? thanks Kent