PDA

View Full Version : Wigglefins

Joe_Local_Guy
03-10-2008, 06:37 PM
I hope I'm not the one to let the cat out of the bag, but here goes. I went out with a friend and he introduced this product to me last fall on a northern Ca lake with flies or worm and we did real well. Haven't been out since.
What's the scoop?
http://www.wigglefin.com/

drstressor
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Sometimes they work very well. 8-)

FishGone
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I use the clear ones occasionally. They give great action on light weight baits

stonesfan
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Steveo79 and I have experimented with the Wiggle Fin at Pardee with

some degree of success. Normally we would use them with a Grub,

but as stated, you could also use Flies and or worms................

Anyone using them exclusively, please post with your results........

Thanks

The Steveo79 and Stonesfan Show

steveo79
03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Stonesfan caught Hammers with his setup, I have yet to catch any with them. Now that I actually have some, that may change. I think the key for him was that horrible, tattered old 3" grub he was using . I think he called it the "gfishes special".

stonesfan
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Now SteveO, don't go giving away all of our secrets..................

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

SuperDave
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I've fished them quite a bit without success so I gotta believe they are just a confidence thing. If you really believe in them they will probably work for you.

Berryessa Kid
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Sometimes when the Koke bite slows or gets finicky I'll put one on to antagonize them. Try blue.
They don't seem to make or break my fishing trips.
That being said, a couple of years back i remember a week to two week period that if you wern't runing them you wern't getting as many hookups. I guess they are a good thing to have in the box.

Slim
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I fished them hard at Melones for NADA this year... But that's the way it has been at Melones for everyone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Misc%20pics/Skunked.jpg

But it proved itself at Beardsley this Saturday....... I had a second rod out without wigglefins. The one with them saw action 10 to one.

Slim

gfishes
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I never leave home without them.......

raymac
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I have set of all sizes (small and large) and colors in my boat.
Orange wiggle fin, orange bead, orange seps 2" grub has been good for me.

Jwood
03-11-2008, 05:47 AM
I used them in Pyramid pulling a fly and picked up a few so not sure at this point how well they may work. Will try it again next week so may have more to report.

Koke_101
03-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Work well on browns in Melones when fished in tandem with a 4" Kokanee fly made by Glitterbug and John Darroch, Arnold, Ca.
Koke 101

billfisher
03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I use the small size action discs a lot with "wiggle tail" trolling flies for trout. These are flies (sometimes with a jointed body) that have a long (about two inch) marabou tail. Without an action disc you need to impart movement to these flies with your rod tip, but with the disc the fly has a very pronounced S shaped pattern going through the water. This has worked very well for me at a lot of places on trout (rainbows, brookies, and ELT) and on fresh water salmon species when they are feeding near the top in the spring. I can see that this would also impart a lot of wiggle to a crawler, but I don't have much experience with trying this method. I know some people also use action discs with grubs, but I cant speak to that. Grubs do have some built in action from the design of their tails, so I don't know how much an action disc adds to their effectiveness.

Flycanoe
03-11-2008, 09:34 AM
But it proved itself at Beardsley this Saturday....... I had a second rod out without wigglefins. The one with them saw action 10 to one.

Awesome. Glad they worked for you. *8-)

CHICKFISHING58
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I used to use them on shore they worked great ;)

OTDRSMN
03-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I've used wiggle fins for many years and have had a lot of success using them. *When I don't want to use a dodger then I use a wiggle fin. *I normally use the clear ones. Anything that does not impart action on its own such as a fly, threaded worm, grub, etc. the wigglefin or action disc works great. * The website shows how much difference it provides in action on a fly without a wiggle fin and one with one. *Big difference.

One trick I learned to use is to put the wiggle fin on your line first and then use a bobber stop (pre-tied thread) on your line about an inch above your hook. *This helps the wiggle fin move more freely and it provides much more action to your presentation. *Got that trick from Tim Noxon a.ka. FishTraveler Guide Service at Eagle Lake. *

If you push the wiggle fin out further the action is more of a sweeping motion back and forth, which works too! *Move the bobber stop up or down on your line to see how your presentation looks in the water at the speed you're trolling. *When the wiggle fin looks like it's giving the right action to your presentation then see how the fish like the action. *You can always try different actions (close to the hook or out an 1" to 3") to see if the fish are liking something fast and flashy or slow and easy.

Also if you do check out the Wigglefin website they have a great animated knot section to show you how to easily tie difficult knots. *I know it helped me on some knots I was having trouble with!

If you haven't tried them put some in your tackle box and the next time you're not getting any bites trolling give them a try. *They're inexpensive and one piece of gear that I don't go fishing without.

metalmouth
03-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Great post OTDRSMN! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks for the info on the bobber stop.

MM

maui_mark
03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I've used them with flies, grubs, and worms for the past year, off and on, with mixed results. Sometimes they are out fishing identically presented lures/setups 5 to 1. Sometimes they get shunned. The same thing seems to happen without them at times. I've had identically rigged rods, fished at the same depth and one sometimes is just "hot' and gets all the hits. Even if you move to the other side of the boat.
They are just another tool in the arsenal to catch fish. I especially like to use them off the downrigger. You can add action to a toplined fly or lure or whatever, or one on leadcore line, but not so much "on the wire"... sometimes that action is the difference between a good day of "catching" or just another mediocre day of fishing ( not that any day spent persuing this sport should in any way be construed to be "mediocre"!!).
There will come a day when I'll have to make a choice about adding more tackle onboard, or leaving the fishing buddy home, or sinking. Thankfully that day hasn't come yet. Buy 'em [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Use 'em. Good luck to you. Mark

maui_mark
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
"I used to use them on shore they worked great "
Okay Chick, dare I ask??? Mark

camotracker
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
i used them at amador and folsom. work really well for me.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

stonesfan
03-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Whenever Trolling, I always have one Rod equipped with a Wiggle Fin

and a 2 or 3 inch Pumpkinseed Power Grub first thing in the morning

toplining. Nothing more exciting than having a 5 1/2 foot ultralite go

off 100 feet back, and have a Rainbow come out of the water...........

Man, I can almost see it now, flat calm water, rod tip bent, and a

big splash somewhere behind the boat.................

Steveo, Steveo, quick get the net...................

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

jrj
03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
I have had success with them, especially with a Jay Fair Fly attached.