PDA

View Full Version : Baum 3/8 TR

Fish_Bully
03-09-2008, 06:20 PM
A late change of plans found me back up at north. I fished Baum for a mixed bag of bows and browns. I am an annual visitor of this lake and what I have noticed this year is the ratio of bows to browns. Historically I catch about 3 bows to 2 browns, but this year it has been 4-5 browns to just 1 bow. Perhaps because I have been plying the slower current rather than the faster water channels. But still, I have always fished the slower currents and never have I encountered the brown action that is so prevalent this year.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/BROS.jpg

The browns will stack up on the shoulders of the water channels. Not moving in schools at all. They simply sit stacked up, facing up stream in the slower water channel. The rainbows I have caught have all been in either the faster water or in the backup created from the quicker currents. This observation is also trumped by the crusing bruisers. It seems the lunkers have a mind of their own and I'll be darned if I can figure that out.

The rainbow found itself wrapped in bacon and grilled slowly:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/YEA.jpg

The browns found theirselves deep fired with hushpuppies:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/PAkers/FRY.jpg

Tight lines,

Flip

B-RAN
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
nice job those fish look tasty :P ;D

Captain Compassion
03-09-2008, 06:41 PM
A late change of plans found me back up at north. I fished Baum for a mixed bag of bows and browns.

That was real neat. Beautiful trout. I can smell the bow, bacon and the wood coals and the Browns look just right. It don't get much better then this. Thank you very much. This will help get me out of my funk.

CC

steveo79
03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Nice browns Flip! Sure beats Crappie fishing at Melones, huh? ;)

MattMan
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Now that's a great report with some great pics!. You even made me hungry. :D As the Captian already said, "I can smell the bow, bacon and the wood coals and the Browns look just right. It don't get much better then this. " I couldn't agree more. I thought I was camping for a second or two. *;D

troutfan
03-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Those are some very nice Browns. I've been meaning to head up to Baum one of these days soon. Were you flyfishing or spinfishing and what were you using! Great report, thanks for sharing.

Fish_Bully
03-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone! It was one of those spur of the moment trips.

Troutfan - I was tossing spoons. A gold/orange Ford Spoon was the hot lure. I also landed a couple on a T101 Thomas Buoyant.

Flip

troutfan
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone! It was one of those spur of the moment trips.

Troutfan - I was tossing spoons. A gold/orange Ford Spoon was the hot lure. I also landed a couple on a T101 Thomas Buoyant.

Flip
The trips that you highly anticipate seem to rarely live up to their billing. Some of my most memorable trips have been spur of the moment. Thanks for the great report and the info. 8-)

mrsockeye
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Great report and pics, how is the snow conditon around the lake?

Fish_Bully
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
No snow Mr. Sockeye. You will pass a fair amount of snow getting there but the roads are currently clear. Black ice in a few areas at night and early mornings, especially in the shaded raodway.

Flip

BreakofDawn
03-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Nice work Fish Bully! Those are some beautiful fish. They smell really good too ;D

Berryessa Kid
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Nice report Flip. Thanks for the good info and the tasty looking pictures. Thats real interesting about the brown numbers? beautiful place to fish! Lets eat [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=chowtime.gif]

fish_4_alivin
03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I fished up there in early Feb and had the same results. I usually only catch rainbows with a brown sprinkled in for fun. But this year I caught mostly browns and only a couple rainbows! The size this year was also a little on the low side. I usually always catch a fish in the 7-10 lb class. But not this year. Oh well there is always next year!

Patos
03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I talked to a buddy out of Cottonwood who spanked the Browns at Baum *last week.Difted Crawlers. ;) By the way, sweet fish!