PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Del Valle Trout

Kevman
03-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey guys, first post here, avid trout fisherman. I'm looking to get out to Lake Del Valle here sometime soon- my pop found this forum and I've been taking a look at it almost every day for roughly a month or so. Lots of good info (the bleeding thread was really cool and informative) and I love hearing good reports (like the recent Almanor one, one of my all time fave. lakes.) I've just got a question about Del Valle trout I've seen- they all seem to have disfigured or scarred tails. What's up with this? Any help or answers are appreciated.

ryanerb
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
It's cause they are stocked fish I believe. When they farm raise them, they get beat up in all the tanks, etc swimming around with each other. After awhile they might regrow more natural, but you always know a planter by its tail.

johnbfishin
03-08-2008, 12:25 AM
The big ones you are seeing are brood stock being planted. The stunted tails are indicative of a stocked fish but that's not always the case, some do have full tails and fins and then thay are called a holdover. Sometimes a fish with full tails and fins is called a native but that is very rare, they are at best wild. Most fish we catch in CA. were stocked at one point....that makes them wild....not native. 8-)

Or planters.

Kevman
03-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Gotcha, thanks guys. I think I'm gonna venture out there and rent a boat Sunday morning with a buddy of mine!

dilbeck
03-08-2008, 07:21 AM
I've just got a question about Del Valle trout I've seen- *they all seem to have disfigured or scarred tails. *What's up with this? *Any help or answers are appreciated.

This should answer your question:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1200287519

Pretty good discussion they had going on back in January.

Michael

CountryBoy
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Just to let you know its not just del valle, its mainly all bay area lakes...
CB

LJ
03-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey*I've just got a question about Del Valle trout I've seen- *they all seem to have disfigured or scarred tails. *What's up with this? *Any help or answers are appreciated.

What really happens is that when I fish there and I catch all these really big Rainbows ,then *I notch their tails so they can't swim as fast and then I release *them so the little kids can catch them. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ken_fishnfool
03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
LJ you are a PRINCE among men...and from this 40 something year old little kid, I thank you for leaving some of those slugs for me to play with! ;D :o

All I know is, pen raised or not, full tails or not, they are a BLAST on an ultralight rig, and are mighty tastey too! ;) ::)

fishmaster
03-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Tail or no tail you tangle with a 10lb+ trout, Its a fight!! Some of my best fights in that lake have been trout with a stub for a tail. I dont know where they get there power from, but it's there.

Dustriver
03-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Some of the fish are also disfigured by birds too.

stonesfan
03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
LJ, if you continue to notch the tails on those Big Fish, conventional

wisdom would dictate trolling slower, so those Big Fish will have a

chance to catch up to the lure............ [smiley=swimmingfish.gif].

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]