PDA

View Full Version : Skunked on the Truckee

mrsockeye
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Today I fished my home river, the Truckee. I got off work at 3:00 and was on the water by 3:30. I fished around Mayberry. I don't fish there much because it gets hammered, but at this time of year, I figured that the pressure was minimal. I drifted meal worms and nigth crawlers on size 10 hooks, with 3 or 4 BB split shots, just ticking bottom from time to time, for ZERO. I didn't get a bite from a single trout, and especially not from that elusive whitefish I'm looking for. The next trip will probably be "downtown", I feel more confident there. I figured I'd report this "Ho Hum" day, because skunking is an important part of fishing. I think they thought about biting though. 8-)

Mr_Ed
03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
That area all the way down to mayberry bridge is "dead" this time of year. 90% planters due to poor water ,holes and structure.

This is always the hardest time to catch fish with the low clear water and the cold water temps !! They see you and they are not hungry... :'(

will send a PM.

cjskier
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Today was quite a bit colder then the past few days as well. Could have an effect on the fishing.

mrsockeye
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree that section of the river isn't one of the best. *Since I'm primarily looking for a "whitey," and I've cuaght a bazillion trout, I figured it was time to think outside the box and try something different. *Kind of *that saying "The last place you look is where you find it." *Plus, I read a Dave Rice article last year and he said he caught a bunch of "whities" in there.

Mr_Ed
03-06-2008, 07:11 AM
You might want to look up that news paper artical again and see what the date was !

I am betting August ?

This time of year, Dave is at Tahoe looking for a "Big Mac"....... ;D ;D

red_perception
03-06-2008, 07:38 AM
I also fished the Truckee yesterday between 11-1. I was down by Spice island dr. Flys, rapalas, salmon eggs,spinners, nothing seemed to work. Beautiful day on the water. I saw one decent size fish chasing something just under the surface, causing a wake and two Mallards to bail quite quickly. Next time ;) Good luck, Eric :)

FishinRaiders
03-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Did you guys drop a temp gauge into the River?

That water is cold this time of the year..gives the fish lockjaw

drstressor
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Try the lower river down past Lockwood early next week after it warms up a bit.

Don't fish the riffles for whitefish. Target the long slow runs.

Mr_Ed
03-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Great idea Doc....................

The water discharge from the sewer plant, just upstream, should be
pretty clean this time of year. ::) ::) :o

Or did you get wind of a F&G planting date? :D

They should be planting the river soon............

drstressor
03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
They use a cage of trout to test the sewage plant outflow. It's a good tertiary treatment facility. The water quality is better than Lahontan or Rye Patch. ;)

Mr_Ed
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
PS 2/15/08 Sparks Marina 3,398 rainbows.

billfisher
03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I think they thought about biting though. 8-)

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] I think they probably did too, but then they thought better of it. ;D That's fishing!

mrsockeye
03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Right now is big brown time on the lower, and I don't mean the sewer plant variety. I know I can catch some nice fish down there right now, and up until the big spring thaw. I just figured more "whities" were in the upper river. The biggest, deepest holes, I know of are down there. Maybe next Wednesday I'll try around Lockwood.

mrsockeye
03-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Another important fact. The lower Truckee has a lot more color to it than the middle section right now. That should make the fish less spooky, and make them hit without scrutinizing your lure for to long. The lowest section of river was pretty off colored on Sunday.