PDA

View Full Version : Big Sur

rhettp
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I am going camping at the Big Sur River this weekend. Does anyone have any info on trout fishing in th area? I will have 5 kids with me and we are hoping to catch some fish.

dano
03-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Better get the regs and look close at your area. In the Ventata Wilderness it's open 4th sat in may thru Oct 31. Closed all year in Pfeiffer big sur stats park.
Still a great area to camp though.

Jigster
03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
rhettp,

We're going camping at Pheiffer Big Sur in June and was thinking of going for stripers or surf perch at the beach. It'll be nice to find some trout near by.

J

Sin_Coast
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Check www.dfg.ca.gov before trying to fish any of those small coastal watersheds, unless you want to get busted for poaching.

Bad timing for rhettp because the BS River is open to steelhead fishing during the winter, but closes tomorrow I believe. And trout season (on the upper portion of the river) doesn't open for another couple months. There is decent fishing for small native trout if you can access the upper portion. Either wlk up the river from Pfeiffer BS State Park to The Gorge and swim across to access the legal section...or take a 5 mile (10 miles RT) hike along the Pine Ridge Trail (I think thats the right one) to reach legal water.
It is all C+R w/barbless hooks etc. Absolutely beautiful area though.

And unfortunately, the best local beach there Andrew Molera State Park is now a State Marine Reserve (part of the Pt Sur SMR) as of Sept 21, 2007. So no fishing allowed ever again.
But you can drive further south to Pfeiffer Beach State Park and fish there. No stripers but plenty of perch and rockfish, cabezon, lingcod, etc if you're willing to try.

Good luck,
PK