PDA

View Full Version : Trout lakes near Hwy 80 in foothills?

Gromulin
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm looking for bank fishing lakes reasonably close to the I-80 corridor. I'm getting my 6 y/o started this year, and Folsom is just lousy and ugly on the Granite bay side, and soon all the lice will be infesting the water.

I'd like to try out one new spot each weekend (weather permitting) with him, and I'd like to keep the drive to an hour or less from Roseville.

Oh, and just a tip for going fishing with a 6 y/o that I learned on Saturday...add a roll of toilet paper to your tackle-box. It may come in VERY handy.

Thanks!

The Reel Deal
03-04-2008, 07:08 AM
There is Rollins Lake. I camped there a while back but did not fish it.

From another site:
"Rollins Lake is located approximately 50 miles east of Sacramento in the majestic Western Sierra's. Rollins has a surface area of 825 acres with 26 miles of oak and pine covered shoreline. There are several camping facilities located near the lake suitable for tents, RV's, or group camping as well as boat-in camp sites only accessible by boat, here is a map of the Peninsula Campground. All boating is permitted as well as water-skiing and jet-skis with a full service marina with rentals and supplies. Rollins has four improved launch facilities making it more convenient and less crowded. Rollins holds a large population of trout and a wide variety of species, including, rainbow, brown, cutthroat, and Eagle Lake along with sunfish, bass, catfish, and kokanee salmon. For more information contact. Rollins Lake Resort (530) 346-2837. Greenhorn Campground (530) 6100. Orchard Springs Campground (530) 346-2212."

Denny1969
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I just learned of this place recently. It is called Halsey Forebay. It is a small impoundment fed by the Bear River Canal. Fish and Game stocks it regularly. It is in Auburn.

To get there, take I80 east from Sacramento. Exit on Dry Creek Road. Drive over the freeway. Make a right turn on Christian Valley Road. Follow it to Halsey. From the looks on my map, it's probably no more than 5 minutes off the freeway.

Denny

MGS
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Halsey is only a few min. from I80. The best spot is right next to the spillway into the lake. Take the right hand turn just as you see the dam. This will take you to a parking lot with tables and restroom. Usual stuff like salmon eggs, PB, and worms with a sliding sinker. Perfect place for a kid. I spent many hours there when I was young. My Grandma had a house within walking distance which was convenient when noone was around to drive me to a lake. If you go to Rollins, Freeloaders cove a good spot to bank it. As you take the entrance to Long Ravine CG , go straight on dirt road at sharp bend to the left right before the kiosk. The area near the ramp right off Rollins Lake rd, or by the dam if you want to walk a half mile. Good Luck--Matty

MGS
03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Oh Yah, Halsey is actually a left on Dry Creek rd[after going over freeway] then first right on Christian Valley rd.. About 1.5 miles. Can take right on Bancroft rd to parking area. Matty

Gromulin
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the tips. I remember camping up by Bowman lake a few years back, but we did'nt actually go to Bowman, we went past it to a campground at the top of a hill. How far off 80 is Bowman?

Denny1969
03-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the tips. I remember camping up by Bowman lake a few years back, but we did'nt actually go to Bowman, we went past it to a campground at the top of a hill. How far off 80 is Bowman?

I haven't been to Bowman for a few years, I would estimate 30 to 45 minutes off the freeway. If you are making a day trip, fish Fuller Lake. It's the first lake that you see off of Bowman Lake Road. It's about 10 minutes of I80, and it has 2 picnic areas with pit toilets. I prefer the second area that has the boat ramp. The fishing is better there.

Denny

cjskier
03-05-2008, 10:02 AM

I haven't been to Bowman for a few years, I would estimate 30 to 45 minutes off the freeway. If you are making a day trip, fish Fuller Lake. It's the first lake that you see off of Bowman Lake Road. It's about 10 minutes of I80, and it has 2 picnic areas with pit toilets. I prefer the second area that has the boat ramp. The fishing is better there.

Denny

Keep in mind you have about 2 months untill you can get to fuller and 3 months until bowman, SO MUCH SNOW!

Denny1969
03-05-2008, 10:29 AM

I haven't been to Bowman for a few years, I would estimate 30 to 45 minutes off the freeway. *If you are making a day trip, fish Fuller Lake. *It's the first lake that you see off of Bowman Lake Road. *It's about 10 minutes of I80, and it has 2 picnic areas with pit toilets. *I prefer the second area that has the boat ramp. *The fishing is better there.

Denny

Keep in mind you have about 2 months untill you can get to fuller and 3 months until bowman, SO MUCH SNOW!

Thanks CJ,
I thought I mentioned something about snow. I guess I didn't.

Denny

Gromulin
03-05-2008, 10:46 AM
SNOW = GOOD. We need the runoff badly.

Keep up the suggestions...I plan on keeping the little dude interested far into the summer (and for the rest of his life, actually), so even if they are under snow now, I'd still like to know the good lakes for later this year.

johnbfishin
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
There is a lake south of I80 at Yuba Gap, I can't remember for sure but I believe it's Valley Res.

MGS
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
That would be Lake Valley res.. It is run by PG&E. Has campgrounds and snow too! Matty

it_wasnt_me
03-05-2008, 12:23 PM
lake valley was planted with kokes a few years back , but hasnt been planted with trout in years. i been there a few times, only ever got one trout, in the summer u cast out a worm and can get catfish.

Denny1969
03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Gromulin,
Since you are thinking summer fishing, you might want to explore the lakes off of Bowman Lakes Road. You may have to go off-road, but a 2WD with enough ground clearance can make it up some of the roads. Take a look at a Delorme California Road Map book. Carr and Feely lakes are options. I think one has smallmouth bass in it.

Denny