PDA

View Full Version : Lake Del Valle fishing report 3/1/08

trubby
03-02-2008, 12:43 AM
First thing, let me comment on Woody's keen memory. *Thank you for mentioning the quick meeting that took place between you and I early this morning at the boat launch area. *Your memory served you correctly, my name is Patrick. *After talking with you, having a decent day of fishing and then reading your comments in your posting; I felt more than obligated to finally stop gaining such valuable knowledge from fellow fishsniffers and to finally provide some insight of my own.

So here's a recap of my Del Valle fishing trip that took place today the first of March. *I was on the water in my 14' Sylvan aluminum boat with a co-worker/friend of mine from between 6:00am and 1:00pm. *Since I was only equipped with my Briggs & Stratton air-cooled 5HP outboard and the weight of the two of us and my gear, I was left with few options regarding where to go. *It would have taken me half the day just to get to the dam... *So we decided to head towards the southern most part of the lake where the depth was an average of 8-10 feet, water temp was around 51' which eventually warmed to around 54'. *

My initial thoughts were that I would switch up and target catfish down there in the shallow muddy waters that have quite a bit of grassy vegetation for the fish to hang out in. *After 45 minutes of trying clams, chicken livers, mackerel and nightcrawlers and getting absolutely no action, I decided to rig my partner up for trout. *I set him up with a sliding sinker rig on 4lb line with a red bead on either side of the egg style 1/4 oz weight with a swivel and a short 8" leader w/ a size 8 baitholder hook. *I placed 2 Crave Nitro white power eggs with a topping of Anise gel scent onto the hook and had him cast out approximately 60' from the boat towards the entrance to the feeder creek area in the South end.

No more than 5 minutes pass and he is hooked into something sweet. *He is using one of my older ultra lightweight rods and 6lb line and begins to struggle a bit with the fish. *30' from the boat as this fish is darting and zig zaggin like crazy, we see him show himself. *He makes a beautiful acrobatic jump about half way out of the water. *Honestly, this was the largest trout I have ever seen in person. *He manages to get the trout all the way to the boat while I am trying to get the net in position. *At the same time, I am trying to help him relax and to adjust the drag so as to not let it completely fly off the spool but tight enough that he can control the fish. *In his complete panic and excitement, he torqued the drag so damn tight and the fish made a last ditch dive under the boat which culminated in a broken line and two guys left with complete horror and agony on our faces.

The water is so muddy that there is not even a foot of visibility currently, but when we had the chance to truly see this guy he was easily pushing 25" plus and probably 14-16 pounds. *We start reviewing what happened and what we could have both done differently and then the truth comes out. *He explains that he has not been fishing in 20 years and when I was talking about the drag to him, it was as if I was speaking a language yet discovered. *He was also unaware that he should have guided the fish away from under the boat by extending his pole away from the boat and guiding him into the net.

Well, that was the last fish like that we would see, however, we did catch and net (4) more trout during our time in the south part of the lake and saw about 4-6 other boats huddled up in the same area we were for most of the morning all with really good catch rates. *Our other 4 were all relatively small weighing around a pound with the largest closer to 2 pounds. *I released all but the 2 pounder which I gave to my buddy to have for dinner tonight.

The weather was decent as the sun did poke through in the morning and the temp approached the low 60's, however the wind became unrelentless at times creating some pretty crappy conditions with white caps and poor fishing conditions. *After 10:30am, we would not see another bite at all.

2 weeks ago, I had some great success trolling near the narrows north entrance after leaving swallow bay. *It was around 1:30pm and I was heading back towards the marina to take off after a day of difficult fishing. *I has dragging a SEP's flasher with an 18" leader attached to a Crocodile silver and blue spoon lure when I was hit hard by what turned out to be a 6.5 pound 26" long rainbow with beautiful coloring. *He was a swimmer for sure and gave me a great fight for about 10 minutes. *He was extremely strong. *He was the only fish of the day that day for me, but he surpassed my previous best trout catch by 2 pounds. *I have attached a picture of that one to this post.

That's it for me for now. *Sorry about the long winded nature of this post, but it is my fist one so I wanted to descriptive. *Keep up the great work out there on the lakes and I'll see you soon.

Patrick

http://photos-570.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v204/71/76/782363570/n782363570_353451_7244.jpg

http://photos-570.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v204/71/76/782363570/n782363570_353452_9367.jpg

zhands
03-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Very nice report Patrick.....Not long winded at all. *;) Good content. Keep up the good work.

Wow ... sweet fish, I'm sure you won't forget that one. *:)

I'm coming down to Livermore next week on Business (w/o my boat) and plan on fishing Tuesday. *Any suggestions for good shoreline spots at Del Valle. Iím also looking at Los Vaqueros Reservoir. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

troutfan
03-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the Sniffer Patrick and might I say that was one of the best first reports I have read in a long time. We appreciate descriptive reports. The more info the better and we love pics. I look forward to your reports in the future!
Troutfan

Woody
03-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Patrick
Welcome to the boards great report and it is pretty amazing you figured out the picture process on your first post. It was nice meeting you yesterday. I'm glad you caught some fish even though you were limited to the south end of the lake. You were not the only one to lose big fish yesterday. I lost a nice salmon 18 to 20" and Fishmaster lost a personal best. This time of the year the creek can be awsome fishing.

See you on the water
Woody

ryanerb
03-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Patrick,

Great report. I wish all reports were that detailed! Keep em' comin! I'm glad you got into some fish, don't feel bad about not being able to go far, as I have a smaller boat w/ even less of a motor than you. Keep up the good reports, and let us know when you go next.

Polebrother
03-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Patrick...welcome to the board. *I agree with the others that your first post was awesome and not too long because I read every single word with great interest and anticipation. *Very well done...please keep talking with us. *

Hooked
03-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Great report, I enjoyed reading tremendously ;D

look on the bright side, if you guys had landed that monster, you would have felt good at the moment and you would have forgot about it in a week or so. But now, it will be free and fighting in your minds for ever, and your friend will recall this story anytime someone talks about trout.

Old_School
03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice report and welcome. I think I saw you guys when I came by around 10 to see what was biting. I wanted to keep trolling though so I didn't stick around for long. Del Valle does has some big fish! You'll get another chance soon.

B-RAN
03-02-2008, 01:35 PM
nice fish ! looks like alot of big fish are coming out of there

ken_fishnfool
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the boards Patrick! :)
And Great report! :o

Your buddy will figure out the drag soon enough, if you keep taking him to Del valle!! :o