PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 2-27-08 with Mr. Ed and fishingrandpa

drstressor
02-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Mr. Ed and I took fishingrandpa out yesterday to see if the fishing situation has changed much. Keeping with our retired guy's hours, we fished from about noon until 4:30. The water temperature was still a cold 42 degrees when we put in at Pelican. The surface warmed up to 45 degrees at Hell's Kitchen, but cooled off to 43 degrees as the sun got lower when we finished up at the Needles. The fish are still very sluggish but we ended up with 5 to the boat up. Three slot fish to 23" and 2 keepers. They are still organized all male or all female in any given area, so the schools of spawners have not formed up yet.

Since the water was still cold and I just put a new prop on the trolling motor that lets me fish slower, I decided to try out Captain Ken's Double Flutter spoon that I picked up at the ISE show. I have used tandem Coyote spoons in the past with good success, but they have to be towed pretty fast to work well. Ken's lure uses a thinner blade and a smaller trailer than my own rigs. So I figured that it might work down to 1 mph. That was indeed the case. The action is not very speed dependent and the lure looks good in the water between 1 and 3 mph. We got the first 2 fish on the Double Flutter in a chub pattern:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9057/doubleflutyf5.jpg

As the sun got brighter, I got one on a hand painted fire tiger flutter spoon that Fish hawk gave me years ago. He used the same spoon as Captain Ken, but in a single setup.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/819/flutterus9.jpg

We trolled faster at the Needles and fishingrandpa go 2 more fish on a Lyman. All the fish were caught from 6-25 ft on the wire.

The highlight of my day (:-/) was when I turned around and saw Mr. flossing his teeth with one of my pre-tied 12 lb flouro leaders. He said it worked real well since it was somewhat frayed. ;D

It was a beautiful day with almost no wind and a light mist over the water. We got buzzed by a couple of F18's doing low levels over the lake, which was pretty cool.

freon
02-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you all had a great day on the water Doc, nice pics too, thanks for the report ;)

CHICKFISHING58
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Doc,
Thanks for the report :-*

I'm not retired so I'll be on the water by 8am. ::)

Mr.Ed,
Shame on you [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Mr_Ed
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, after eating all the food and sandwichs, the *Pyramid beer, did not do its thing...............

I don't know about anyone else but meat stuck between my teeth drive me crazy!! *Gota do,what you gota do. *Floss & picks next trip,Doc. ;)

By the way, here is a picture of Jim with a nice one, that he caught.

http://i32.tinypic.com/16bd2kz.jpg

Hard to stand up with all the wave acton............

Doc said it was all the beer.......Right. :o :o

dave_in_el_dorado
02-28-2008, 04:15 PM
wow, what a nice day, and thank you for the detailed tackle report. i cant get over the color of that water. i would love to fish there sometime....its definitely on the bucket list and shouldnt be that hard to scratch off.

metalmouth
02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Cool report! I didn't see any waves but if you say so. ::) :o 8-)

Captain Compassion
02-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Mr. Ed and I took fishingrandpa out yesterday to see if the fishing situation has changed much. *

Very good gentlemen. Thanks for the info. Most likely be there on the 9th.

CC

DinoBlaster
02-28-2008, 05:13 PM
[quote author=drstressor link=1204226812/0#0 date=1204226811]*Keeping with our retired guy's hours, we fished from about noon until 4:30. *
I like how you guys role ;)

Farrier_Frank
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Hard to stand up with all the wave acton............

Doc said it was all the beer.......Right.

I think it was the beer, Ed. I don't see any waves. ::)

Capt.Ken
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Great Job Guys!! Glad to see the double flutter is working for you. That is the Kokanee color that you were using. Good to see you had a great day on the water.
Quick question, did he take the big spoon or the small spoon?

Capt. Ken

drstressor
02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
One took the trailer and the other was on the big spoon.

Like I told you Ken, Kokanee have blue backs. Those spoons are chub pattern. ;) ;D

B-RAN
02-28-2008, 08:51 PM
man thats a skinny cut :o

drstressor
02-28-2008, 09:07 PM
There are a lot of skinny ones this year. 2 years of bad chub reproduction will do that.

Captain_Morgan
02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Great post Doc. :) I sure hope they fatten up soon !

Berryessa Kid
02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Very nice report! It looked like a beautiful afternoon. Thanks for the lure info.

Garden_Valley_Fish
02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Glad to see your researching the lake for fish and tackle for our trip on the 5th Doc ;) Nice pics and info guys the weather looks divine.

SlamminAmador
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Doc,
Thanks for the report :-*

I'm not retired so I'll be on the water by 8am. ::)

Mr.Ed,
Shame on you [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

LOL !! ;) ;D

fishingrampa
03-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Fishingrampa here,
We did have a beautiful day and the company was wonderful. I really enjoyed going with Doc and Ed. I never fished up at the Needles before and Doc sure knows the lake. Keep on fishin' (and catchin')
Grampa