PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma trout (steelies)

HomerDodd
03-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Anyone know when the best time to start trolling for the landlocked trout at Sonoma? I have heard March is good, and gets harder toward the summer months. Just looking for information on the best area, and what type of rig. I am fairly new to trolling, and have mainly banked fished in the past. Not sure when to use flashers, and when to fish just the lure (Needlfish, Super Duper, Rapala's,etc), and how get it to the right depth. I will take any advise that you have to offer...THANKS!

TroutWagon
03-01-2008, 05:49 PM
You could start trolling now, but I heard the lake is a little muddy right now. If you are going, troll the face of the dam and up the east side of the lake, stay on the east side of that branch and troll up to the no ski bouyes. They should be in the top 10 ft., if you have electronics you can see the fish, check the depth and fish rapala,s and kastmasters, needlefish in shad colors. you can try dodgers and naked to find the best results . 1.6-1.8 mph is the best speed for me trolling and give yourself a good 150 ft. from the boat when toplining. Oh yeh, Nightcrawlers and dodgers work good too! C&R at that lake is good because it's a declining natural fishery for steelhead. Good luck give us a report if you go.

TW