PDA

View Full Version : Circle hooks for planters

Kings_River_Kid
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
My wife and I love to fish for planter trout with powerbait off of our kayaks at hume lake. The problem is that we dont eat much fish. Sometimes were able to unhook and release them unharmed, most times we end up having to cut the leader.

I have found a couple of brands that have small size circle hooks and was wondering if anyone has any experience and sucess using them for trout.

Sizes, tips, tactics, and rigs would all be very much appreciated.

Thanks

KRK

tnorthern
02-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I never ate trout before I found some lakes with nice pink or orange meat and a good recipe to smoke em with, when I was fishing C&R I used a 10 or 12 bait holder barbless. The most important part is getting the fish right as it strikes before it can swallow the hook. I've used 5/0 circle hooks with live sardines for Yellow tail and those were all lip hooked, the idea of a circle hook is to get more positive hook ups due to the point of the hook being in line with the hook eye.

The_Pond_King
02-29-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.sheltonproducts.com/sheltonrelease.html

enough said.

Captain Compassion
02-29-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.sheltonproducts.com/sheltonrelease.html

enough said.

That's kind of slick. Thanks.

CC

ryanerb
02-29-2008, 11:02 PM
pond king,

have you used these? do they work good? wouldn't the sleeve make the line more visible to the fish?

sPooOOk
03-01-2008, 12:05 AM
used circle hook on trout before didn't like them. 90% of the fish were still gut hook. Just like the last guy was saying pinch the barbs or start setting the hook earlier then usual to prevent it from gut hooking fish.

ryanerb
03-01-2008, 07:46 AM
With powerbait, everytime I try to set the hook early, it seems you just pull it out of their mouth. Setting the hook on a worm/lure is easier, since the hook is more exposed, but setting the hook that is hidden in powerbait can be tough, but im sure it can be done.

drstressor
03-01-2008, 09:26 AM
In oder to use circle hooks effectively, you have to match the size of the hook gap to the size of the fish's mouth. For trout, that size hook would be far too big to cover with Powerbait. You cannot set the hook when using circle hooks. That will just pull it out of the fish's mouth. You need to let the fish swallow or nearly swallow the hook and begin to move away against a tight line. As the tension gradually increases, the line ends up in the corner of the fish's mouth. This allows the gap of the hook to be pulled over the corner of the mouth, which is about the only place that a circle hook can stick.

sPooOOk
03-01-2008, 04:06 PM
the reason power bait on the treble doesn't set is because the fish hasn't had a chace to turn its head while biting. what i noticed about power bait is that the fish usually peck on the bait before being commited in to trying to swallow it. if u give him a chance on a little slack line and have him pick up the bait all in its mouth and let the fish kinda run for like three seconds and set the hook your chance of lipping it is much higher. and the circle hook that i had used is an size 8 eagle claw cicle hook. four out of five will be gut hook even though u let it run with it when i fish with night crawler majority of the time with it anyways. but the best thing run with a regular hook and crimp the barb down and fish with an little slack line and when the line picks up set the hook rite away and your chance of lipping it would be alittle higher and easier to released then a barb hooks.