PDA

View Full Version : Camanche 2-27

FishWisher
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
My friend John joined me on a perfect day to visit Camanche. We launched around 8:30 but lost the first hour towing a disabled boat and occupants back to the dock, which wasn't far.

We trolled up the narrows, a first for me, and on up well past the bridge. We caught the first fish, about 15", just before the bridge. The second came after we returned an had just come back under the bridge. We worked that area for a couple of laps, then proceeded to cruise to the main lake and trolled Hat Island for another one, and caught two more along the dam buoy line. About 2:30 we reeled in for the last time and headed home.

I caught two, John had three trout, all around the same size. It was a good day but we didn't catch the record trout we wanted.

We found that Needle Fish, including a Cop-Car, and the small FieTiger Rapalas were the hot lure for the day. Well, not exactly hot, but warm.

We still had to use the lower ramp with the one dock. I hope they get a lot of runoff this spring to bring that lake up again.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/BridgeFort2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this strange looking stone structure is? It is just above the bridge and must be under water when the lake is full. It looks like a fort or some such thing, but I'd guess it's a structure for the EBMUD in the old days. I'd sure like to know what it is.

More photos on my website www.fishwisher.com

Dale

billfisher
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what this strange looking stone structure is? It is just above the bridge and must be under water when the lake is full. It looks like a fort or some such thing, but I'd guess it's a structure for the EBMUD in the old days. I'd sure like to know what it is. Dale

Part of the base for an older, lower bridge from the era before the dam was built? Just a guess, but that is what it looks like to me.

fishnmike2002
02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
If you noticed right below it was a large area of very black rock like material. WE stopped and checked it out last week as I have been trying to figure out what the black rock is doing in that area. Finally realized the black material appears to be slag from a ore smelter. Right below the structure you took the pic of there is a pile of very old fire bricks so I am thinking this was part of a gold ore proccessing facility for all the gold mining done in the area.

FishnMike

dave_in_el_dorado
02-28-2008, 04:04 PM
i believe yer lookin at structure from the penn mine, which is now a superfund site due to acid run-off and other things. the black rock i believe is stabilized mine slag.....that whole area is fill material. acid rich tailings can be stabilized when mixed and cooked with portland to neutralize it........this is a SWAG though, i dont know for sure....

congrats on the fish, fishwisher. they didnt like firetigers the day before, but took to the brown trout. the day before, i trolled a cop car naked from 10 to 20 feet for about an hour w/ no luck, but they took a small gold wobble spoon....go figure..right?

billfisher
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I came across this FishSnffer article:

Fishing For Big Trout Above Gold Rush Ruins At Lake Camanche

By: Dan Bacher
January 6, 2003

It says that Camanche now covers the Gold Rush community that was called La Lancha Plana. FishnMikle may be right about the structure in your picture being related to gold mining. Mr. Bacher probably knows exactly who would know what the strucure was built for.

dave_in_el_dorado
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
that rings bells, IIRC, lancha plana was the town for workers of the penn mine.

SSTiddy
02-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Well congrads on the fish *[smiley=thumbsup.gif], FW. The more I read tonight about Comanche, the more I want to come down with a 24hour flu, and have to call in sick on friday. Thanks for the report and "Tight Lines" * Steve

maui_mark
02-28-2008, 07:57 PM
FishWisher. Was this outing in your new "smaller boat"? Just wondering. If so, I'm glad you got it rigged! Mark

FishWisher
02-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey, thanks, guys for the info on the mystery building. That's quite a story and interesting history. And thanks for the attaboys, even for the not-so-big fish.

Mark, yes this trip was with the little Klamath. She's a fine running little boat and I really am glad I have her. She's very light, easy to handle and economical. I save even more gas by towing her with my HHR.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/FishWisher/2008-2HHRboat2-1.jpg

Wifey is having foot surgery today and I'll be playing nurse for the next couple of months. I may get on the boat a time or two before May, but nothing is certain.

Dale

clamkin
02-29-2008, 09:17 AM
FW, that's a perfect little tow/fishing platform combo. Nice stuff.

maui_mark
02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Dale. Good looking boat/tow rig! I'm glad you are back out on the water! Sorry to hear about the wife.
It's good to know a little something about the crumbling structures around our lakes [smiley=old.gif], the old buildings too! Mark