PDA

View Full Version : New Melones

MooresMOJO
02-24-2008, 07:44 PM
When do guys start fishing this lake. I want to try this lake out in a week or two. I have never been there what do guys fish with and where? Is there a site I can check out? Also what is the best way to travel to the lake from Santa Clara??

Oxbow
02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
www.gloryholesports.com

johnbfishin
02-25-2008, 01:46 AM
When do guys start fishing this lake. *I want to try this lake out in a week or two. *I have never been there what do guys fish with and where? *Is there a site I can check out? *Also what is the best way to travel to the lake from Santa Clara??

Do a search or just go back a few pages on this board and you'll see some threads on Melones.
From Santa Clara you pretty much go to Manteca then take Hwy 108 to Sonora then Hwy 49 to the lake. You can take Rawhide Road at James Town and avoid going through Sonora....you will run into 49 then make a left to get to the lake.

Slim
02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
When do guys start fishing this lake. *I want to try this lake out in a week or two. *I have never been there what do guys fish with and where? *Is there a site I can check out? *Also what is the best way to travel to the lake from Santa Clara??

Start?? All year... Except for reasons we haven't been able to explain, the fishin has been dead. (???) Maybe when you come up it'll turn red hot (I wish)!!

Ahh.. Santa Clara...my home town.. it's almost a 3 hr drive. I like to make my way to 880 north, cross over to 680 north at (I think) Mission Blvd = just a couple miles north of Milpitas. take 580 through Livermore...205 through Tracy. North on I 5 (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/11/I-5.svg/50px-I-5.svg.png) for just a mile or so. Then east on Hwy 120. North on 99/120 for a mile or 2 . Turn off of Hwy 99 *into Mantica, Hwy 120 = right turn. Stay on that road...drive Through Escalon to Oakdale. In Oakdale at the 2nd *light (after crossing the river) *follow Hwy 120, left turn. Stay on that road till you get up to Sonora, (About 35+ min out of Oakdale) Up at Sonora take Hwy 49 (Left) stay on hwy 49... That'll take you to Melones. There's 3-4 places you can go.

1.Turn left into Tuttletown. That has some campgrounds and a boat ramp, & Some Bank fishin.

2. or Stay on Hwy 49 & pass Tuttletown, and a mile down the road there's a visitor Center. Turn right & stay on that road. That dies into the water, Small boats can use that as a boat ramp, and there's some bank fishin.

3. or stay on hwy 49, *Pass the visitor center , cross over the bridge, and a few miles up the road turn left at the Glory Hole Gas station. There's Angles Cove (Some Bank fishing and a boat ramp) and Glory Hole Boat ramp. Angles Cove is a good place for Bank fishin. ( WHEN the fish ARE Biting *;) )

Clear as mud???

Good luck / give a report!!

Slim

bobcatken
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Slim- thanks for the details. I'll copy the info down. Someday I'll make the trip and try my luck out there.

Slim
02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Slim- thanks for the details. *I'll copy the info down. *Someday I'll make the trip and try my luck out there.

One detail I left out... Hwy 120 turns right going to Yosemite, but you want to stay straight on hwy 108 ... your just 15 min from Sonora there.

Slim

Flycanoe
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
From San Jose, I prefer going to Stockton and then hwy 4 to Angels Camp, turn right on hwy 49 and right again to Glory Hole or Tuttletown.

Saves a little time as you only drive slowly through one town instead of 3 towns the other way.

Slim
02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
From San Jose, I prefer going to Stockton and then hwy 4 to Angels Camp, turn right on hwy 49 and right again to Glory Hole or Tuttletown. *

Saves a little time as you only drive slowly through one town instead of 3 towns the other way. *

Being that puts me on the wrong side of the river (to go home) I've never tried that.
So Flycanoe, would you stay on 99 to Stockton? or would you stay on I 5 to Stockton ?

Slim

HOOF
02-26-2008, 10:18 PM
MAPS FELLAS, MAPS ;)

johnbfishin
02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
I drive from Hayward and can make Melones in a little over 2 hours going through Manteca and up 108. The key IMO is to leave between 3:00 & 4:00 am. I tow a 17' boat and roll at 70mph where road conditions allow it ......no coffee= no pee stops. ;)

Flycanoe
02-27-2008, 08:33 AM
So Flycanoe, *would you stay on 99 to Stockton? or would you stay on I 5 to Stockton ?

It doesn't matter as both ways to the hwy 4/99 interchange in Stockton are same distance and time.

In the early morning with little traffic, the time difference between hwy 4 and 108 routes is small. But later in the day when traffic picks up, the time difference can be significant, like 15-20 minutes. *

padrino
02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
i always go 108. the shortcut in jamestown is to turn left @ the gas station on Rawhide road (as johnb mentioned).

my folks live in escalon, so they like me to drop off fish on the way home.

kevin 'P'

johnbfishin
02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
It's looking like I'll see you there this weekend Kevin.....let's hope the bite has improved. 8-)

cptdarel
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM
i always go 108. *the shortcut in jamestown is to turn left @ the gas station on Rawhide road (as johnb mentioned). *

my folks live in escalon, so they like me to drop off fish on the way home.

kevin 'P'
Ditto, much faster.!!! ;)

Slim
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
MAPS FELLAS, MAPS ;)

Oh.... you can buy those at any mini-mart ;)

Slim

johnbfishin
02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
MAPS FELLAS, MAPS ;)

Oh.... you can buy those at any mini-mart *;)

Slim

I'll bet that if someone typed "New Melones" into their browser they would come up with a map. Mapquest would probably work also.

steveo79
02-28-2008, 06:44 AM
I used google maps, for the first time when I went to Pardee; easier to use the mapquest. Also, don't those of you that have Triple A, get free maps?