PDA

View Full Version : Topaz no good, Lahontan walleyes no dice

mrsockeye
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Hello to all trout board members, I've been lurking for a while and have decided to sign up. I'd like to say that there are some very knowledgeable anglers on this board. I would like to start paying some dues even though I haven't been fishing much lately. The fishing in the Reno area has been to slow for my taste. But last weekend I made my first trip to Topaz. I fished in the northwest corner of the lake, off the bank with crawlers and powerbait for no bites. In the 2 or so hours I was there, 12 pm to 2 pm I saw nobody hooking up. There were several trollers doing laps in front of me, and no fish for them either. So feeling that I had better options I headed for Lahontan for walleye, wipers, cats, or whatever was biting. I drowned a worm in hopes of catching an eye, or a carp to turn into cut bait with no luck. It was a nice day on the water, compared to today, snow and cold. Sitting on my butt with not much going on. I'll see you guys on the water, and Mr. Ed at the next union trap shoot.

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello to all trout board members, I've been lurking for a while and have decided to sign up.

Howdy Mrsockeye. Welcome to the Sniffer. Topaz has indeed been quite slow. I've made 9 trips there sense the first of the year and have only caught 4 fish. The water is still awful cold. I fished the Northwest corner this morning and managed to catch my only bite. It would be my guess that it is a tad bit early for Lahontan. Most likely mid March. If you live in the Reno area the destination of choice for you should be Pyramid. Fishing from shore at Block House or from the rocks at Pelican can be quite profitable. See you on the water.

CC

dano
02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey mrsockeye
I used to live in fallon and I'd love to fisn La honton again. wipers are a good bet just a little later than feb.
these guys will keep you informed tho. ask and you will recieve here. info keeps flowing
dano

zhands
02-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the boards

I made the drive to Topaz from Truckee last Wednesday. Left about 5:30, chains were required until I got to Carson City. (Thank God I donít have to do chains anymore) . Fished the north shore with George who lives just over the hill and fishes the lake daily. He was using powerbait with no bites. I was using worms injected with stink and a marshmallow. Threw out 5 or six different lures, nothing.

Lets see, full moon, cold front coming in.... Perfect. * [smiley=winkfs.gif]

Drove over to the other side, while I was pulling up to the shore Georges friend had just caught a nice 1.5 lbr.

I had no such luck for the next hour and Ĺ. The wind started to howl so that ended the adventure. Guess I should have gone skiing. Hey it was nice talking with George. * [smiley=old.gif] [smiley=stomper.gif]

He imparted some Topaz wizdom on me. A little warmer he said, then we'll get some good action.

Mr_Ed
02-23-2008, 07:19 PM
mrsockeye;

We will teach you how and where to fish, since it looks like you do not know "squat"!! ;D ;D

I might even take you out on my boat...............

Depends on how the next trap shoot comes out?

$5 a bird ?

Fishing should pick up in March, looks like you got your feet wet at the right time............. 8-)

Get those Honey do's done....!!

troutfan
02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah old George fishes Topaz more than anybody else I know. *If anyone is a good source of info on Topaz it's George. *There are lots of nice holdovers left in the lake and George is correct; March and April should be good fishing out there and with all the snow we're getting the lake should get full enough to go up the Walker River in June. *Talk about fun, a 20-30 fish day on nothing but 16-20" holdover trout is as good as it gets. ;)
Typical day's catch at the inlet at Topaz two years ago. *Last year there wasn't enough water to go up the river.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6448/img0084490x653mh2.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6936/img0088490x368dh2.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3539/img0091490x368za9.jpg

Mr_Ed
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Those are some "FANTASTIC" pictures there Troutfan....

Looks like you lost weight, too ! ;D

Ah, about George.............
Last trip out with you............Me 3 and George 0.

Just to keep the record straight. ;)

troutfan
02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Those are some "FANTASTIC" pictures there Troutfan....

Looks like you lost weight, too ! * ;D

Ah, about George.............
Last trip out with you............Me 3 and George 0.

Just to keep the record straight. ;)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then Twiggy! ;) ;D ;D ;D

zhands
02-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok Troutfan

You got my attention * [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=yikes.gif]

mrsockeye
02-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Mr. Ed is an amazing trap shooter, in case you didn't know. He shows everybody what's up, shooting 410's and such. Topaz is on my list of places to fish more often as it is one of the only games in town at this time of year. It appeals to me also becuase the fish are supposed to have awesome orange fillets. Pyramid is a lake I fish once in a while. It is not my favorite lake for a number of reasons though. I don't like the boat launching facilities, 10$ a day for no restrooms, no fish cleaning stations, dirt parking lot, and the launch is exposed to strong winds that nail boat's sterns as they come in to harbor. My buddy almost sunk his Boston Whaler out there. When strong winds came up everybody was trying to come in at once. He was waiting in line when waves started coming over his stern. His bilge pump failed... he got lucky to get his boat on the trailer. They need to take some lessons from Eagle Lake, free launch, 4 lanes wide, fish cleaning stations etc... Pyramid has so much potential... squandered. 100$ a year for a license is steep, so is 10$ a day for launching a boat. I just think that place could be world class, world class cutthroat trout fishing, lodging, eating etc... 1 hour from Reno. That said I do go out there from time to time, no other lake can offer such great quantities of big fish. When I go it is either to take the boat out on a nice winter day and run some gas through it, or down to Dago bay off the bank. I'll see you guys out there sometime.

mrsockeye
02-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh also, thanks for the reply Captain Compassion. I figured I didn't have much of a chance at Lahontan as the water is frigid. I usually persue walleyes from April through October. I just was shooting into the dark. Out at Rye Patch, they catch some hogs all winter long.

Mr_Ed
02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
You can also go with a guy that has a yearly boat tag, ever
think of that ? look up the "Hitchhiker" thread. ;)

Leave your boat at home, and "Leave the driving to us " .

Have you ever gone for Kokanee?

Later Ed

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh also, thanks for the reply Captain Compassion. *I figured I didn't have much of a chance at Lahontan as the water is frigid. *I usually persue walleyes from April through October. *I just was shooting into the dark. *Out at Rye Patch, they catch some hogs all winter long. *

I have never caught a walleye and it is a long time goal of mine. 33 years ago I fished the Humbolt below Rye Patch with no luck. I guess walleye fishing is not one of my skill sets.

CC

zhands
02-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Yep.. I'd be down for some walleye, I havenít caught one of the tasty morsels since I was a kid inÖ. Minn..Ah..Sota. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

troutfan
02-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Yep.. I'd be down for some walleye, I havenít caught one of the tasty morsels since I was a kid inÖ. Minn..Ah..Sota. * [smiley=chowtime.gif]
If you eat Nevada Walleye you may glow! *They have Mercury levels that are much greater than what is considered safe. There is a government advisory against consuming fish from Lahonton or Rye Patch.

Mr_Ed
02-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Looked up Rye Patch on the Nev F&G board

Walleyes tested *2.89 parts per million
Wipers * 3.26 parts per million
Crappie *.67 parts per million

Looks like you have to eat Crappies............ since 1.0 is the cut off
for 8oz of meat a week. * :'(

Ok, back to trout..............

zhands
02-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Walleyes tested *2.89 parts per million
Wipers * 3.26 parts per million
Crappie *.67 parts per million

Looks like you have to eat Crappies............ since 1.0 is the cut off
for 8oz of meat a week. * :'(

Ok, back to trout..............

Thanks for the info.... gulp :P

TroutWagon
02-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah old George fishes Topaz more than anybody else I know. *If anyone is a good source of info on Topaz it's George. *There are lots of nice holdovers left in the lake and George is correct; March and April should be good fishing out there and with all the snow we're getting the lake should get full enough to go up the Walker River in June. *Talk about fun, a 20-30 fish day on nothing but 16-20" holdover trout is as good as it gets. ;)
Typical day's catch at the inlet at Topaz two years ago. *Last year there wasn't enough water to go up the river.

Troutfan,

How deep will that river get and how big of a boat can get in the walker river?

TW

troutfan
02-23-2008, 08:41 PM
My cousin takes his 18'er in there. *You just have to follow the river channel. *You'll know when you slip out of it because the depth will go from 8' to 2'! :o *Luckily it's a mud bottom and forgiving on props if you do slip out of the channel. *Note: *Only a California license is good back in the river at the inlet past the high water mark. ;)

untalan1
02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Hello Troutfan,I'm glad you posted the information about when you fish the river that only a ca. license is permitted.

mrsockeye
02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey in regards to those tasty walleyes, I know guys who have been eating them things for over 50 years. Aside from a few lazy eyes, nervous ticks, and speech impediments they're just fine. ;) Seriously though, I know of nobody who claims to have health related issues, and they sure are tasty. Maybe if you ate 5 pounds a week or something. Do you guys really want to live forever?

mrsockeye
02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
If a California License is required back in that river inlet, it also may be under Walker River regulations. Food for thought, I don't know if there are any special regs back in there or not.

troutfan
02-24-2008, 10:35 AM
If a California License is required back in that river inlet, it also may be under Walker River regulations. *Food for thought, I don't know if there are any special regs back in there or not.
There are no special regs on the Walker at the inlet. All California general regulations apply. Five trout, daily limit, ten in posession.

Hi_Tide
02-24-2008, 11:04 PM
What about Walker? Anybody been there lately & will it have enough water this year?
Been a few yrs, but I had some gret actiion there in the past.

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
What about Walker? Anybody been there lately & will it have enough water this year?
Been a few yrs, but I had some gret actiion there in the past.

The West Walker in California is closed until the last Saturday in April and there will be plenty of water. The West Walker in Nevada is open and has plenty of water. Went through Wilson Canyon a couple of weeks ago but didn't fish.

CC

nevadatrout2
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM

Walleyes tested *2.89 parts per mil

Where is the mercury ? if they grind the whole fish to test ,then what? I don't eat the head , guts , skin , and bones , what if the mercury is consentrated in those and not all of the meat that you eat . I have heard of some people eating fish from there all the time and others that said they got sick , Oh well at least they are fun to catch.

drstressor
02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
They measure mercury in skinned fillets. *1 ppm is 1 microgram of mercury per gram of fillet. *1 ppm is the cutoff that the FDA uses for fish that is allowed to be sold for human consumption. *The EPA uses half that level (0.5 ppm) for mercury warnings in fish.

Mercury accumulates in your body if you get more from your food than you can eliminate through your body wastes. *So eating contaminated fish infrequently doesn't have much of an effect. *If you eat them regularly, your chance of having neurological and mental problems increases with the dose rate. *Pregnant women and young children should not eat contaminated fish --- PERIOD.

BTW, tests of fish at your end of the state are finally being done. *Wild horse trout show mercury levels almost as high as Rye Patch fish.

nevadatrout2
02-26-2008, 07:46 AM
BTW, tests of fish at your end of the state are finally being done. *Wild horse trout show mercury levels almost as high as Rye Patch fish.

I also read that the fish that they stock are higher that the fish that are natural in the lake .

Mr_Ed
02-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Don't you just love that coal burning , power plant near Battle Mountain !!

Nothing like Mercury rain !!

drstressor
02-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I spoke with an NDOW employee who told me that the mercury all comes from China. ::) *Of course, as state employees, they have a somewhat biased view of reality. ;) *Nevada is in a spat with Idaho right now over contamination of eastern Idaho fish. *Idaho believes that the greatest contributor is gold mining in Nevada. *It is very hard to prove these things without extensive and expensive research.

Mercury comes from many sources. Coal fired power plants, mining, and natural hydrothermal sources are all contributing factors. *But it makes no difference if the origin of the mercury is natural or made made. It's the same toxic stuff.

Norm, it's true that stocked trout in Wild horse have higher levels of mercury than most of the native species (chubs, minnows, and sculpins). *That's because there is a good holdover population of trout and they feed higher up in the food chain. *The trout don't have high levels of mercury as they come from the hatcheries.

nevadatrout2
02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Don't you just love that coal burning , power plant near Battle Mountain !!

Nothing like Mercury rain !!
now there is two of them and as soon as they are done they are going to put in another one next to the one they just built . :-/ at least their is a geothermal in my back yard to make up for it . I wish they would expand on it more . ;D

mrsockeye
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Come on guys, are you really afraid of those thermometer fish? I have heard that you are only supposed to eat one can of tuna fish a week. That is ridiculous. I know people who eat tuna fish everyday for lunch. They are just fine. It is just like the huge lead scare that is going around right now. I bought a box of lead shotgun shells that said "Danger, this product contains lead, a product that causes... etc" I was shocked to see that my lead shotgun shells contained... LEAD! My point is, that how many of you have crunched a split shot down with your teeth? Did you die? There are probably lawyers that would represent you, if you developed some kind of an illness. So my take on NDOW's mercury warning is that they are covering their butts. If somebody does get sick because they eat 10 pounds of Wildhorse trout per week, then they can say "We told you so." For now I'm going to continue my Rebel Without a Cause lifestyle and eat those tasty quicksilver fish.

Captain Compassion
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Come on guys, are you really afraid of those thermometer fish?

Wildhorse has some of the most beautiful trout in Nevada. Would I eat them? sure. In moderation. For the previous 35 or so years they were ok now all of a sudden they are bad? I fished Wildhorse in 70 or 71. just after it opened. With my brother in law and a HS buddy we caught perhaps 100 trout between us and had a fish fry/beer party among the sage brush. One of the top 5 fishing days of my life. I'll be there again in May.

CC

Wildhorse Bows scream Eat me!
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/whbow.jpg

homer
02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
I live on Lahontan and have for 14 years now. I eat the smaller fish I catch. I won't eat the bigger fish. It's not because I'm scared of them. It's just that I think the smaller fish taste better. Seeing I live right here and the price of gas, I fish it about 3 times a week from mid-March through the first part of Oct. I'll keep 3 or 4 fish a week. After fileting I usually get about a pound or so if nice meat.

homer