PDA

View Full Version : Trout Plants

raymac
02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Quarry,Lake Elisabeth, and Newark Lake were planted with 750 lbs each of Idaho trout. 1/2 to 2lbs. Should be ready for Kastmasters and bait in a couple of days. Witnessed Newark Planting. All fish seam to haved servived. Go get them while the water is still cold.

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
The state of Nevada planted 7,960 trout in Topaz. I might see if I can duck in there between storms on Saturday Morning.

CC

troutfan
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
The state of Nevada planted 7,960 trout in Topaz. I might see if I can duck in there between storms on Saturday Morning.

CC

The fish they planted are 8.6 inches long. *They'll be decent when they're twice that long! ;) ;D

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM

CC

The fish they planted are 8.6 inches long. *They'll be decent when they're twice that long! ;) ;D

Perhaps. Then again a Rap or a Kastmaster might be of interest to the larger trout attracted to the area.

CC

troutfan
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM

CC

Perhaps. Then again a Rap or a Kastmaster might be of interest to the larger trout attracted to the area.

CC

Could be. ;)

tragedyspring
02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
LAKE ELIZABETH????

Mr_Ed
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
So, you guys like fish that taste like copped liver ??

Planters have soft white meat that has very little flavor.

They are great for the grand kids, but at the bottom of the stair case for me. *

"Give & Take" is ok, but there is nothing better than a fish that has been
on its own for a year or its whole life. ;)

I know I will get "Flack" for this statement, but I am sticking to it.

ryanerb
02-22-2008, 06:50 PM
So, you guys like fish that taste like copped liver ??

Planters have soft white meat that has very little flavor.

They are great for the grand kids, but at the bottom of the stair case for me.

"Give & Take" is ok, but there is nothing better than a fish that has been
on its own for a year or its whole life. ;)

I know I will get "Flack" for this statement, but I am sticking to it.

I think we will all agree with you we would rather catch natural fish. Unfortunately, we got too many people fishing, and taking more fish than can reproduce, so we gotta stock em. I hate fishin for planters, but thats what most of CA is these days. I try to release as many fish as I can so they can grow into the water, and eventually become more 'natural' haha.

Jetspray
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Tragedyspring Lake Elizabeth (better known as Stivers Lagoon) has been planted for years. I used to take walks and bike rides around it and it was fun to see all of the fellas trying their best to hook some. If you don't know where it is go towards Irvington on Paseo Padre Parkway and you won't miss it....Jetspray

wolfden
02-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Flack or not I will agree with Mr. Ed on this one :)

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 09:00 PM
So, you guys like fish that taste like copped liver ??.

Chopped liver? Love the stuff. On rye bread with a red Bermuda onion and a bowl of chicken soup with a Matzo ball. Kosher at it's best.

Remember. Sometimes big fish go to where the little fish are.

CC

wolfden
02-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I'll catch and try to release all the planters that I can.....Just don't like to eat them ;D

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll catch and try to release all the planters that I can.....Just don't like to eat them ;D

Most don't taste all that good but the Alpers Bows that are stocked in the Eastern Sierra can be quite tasty. They even have orange to red meat.

CC

wolfden
02-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Alpers Bows that are stocked in the Eastern Sierra can be quite tasty.
Hey Captain

You ever fish the Owens River or the Bishop area??

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Alpers Bows that are stocked in the Eastern Sierra can be quite tasty.
Hey Captain

You ever fish the Owens River or the Bishop area??

Many times. 5 Bridges, Chalk Bluffs, below Plesant Valley. I usually fished the Owens between Benton Crossing and Crowley lake. One fall afternoon in 1982 I caught around 100 pounds of trout from Pleasent Valley thanks to a post season brooder stock from Hot Creek Hatchery. I even have a secret spot for browns right in town.

CC

wolfden
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Captain,

Maybe we can get a trip down to that country sometime

I have always wanted to fish that area.

A co-worker lived in Independence and he fished that area yeras ago and in talking it rekindled my desire to fish that area.

Is spring or fall or summer best??

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Captain,

Maybe we can get a trip down to that country sometime

I have always wanted to fish that area.

A co-worker lived in Independence and he fished that area yeras ago and in talking it rekindled my desire to fish that area.

Is spring or fall or summer best??

Fall is best. You can also fish Crowley Lake.

CC

raymac
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
LAKE ELIZABETH???? My thoughts are the same

FishinSturgeon
02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Sounds like Trout will be the popular fish this salmon season

joshc40
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
LAKE ELIZABETH???? My thoughts are the same

Are we talking about the same lake elizabeth here? The one I live close to is the one in Fremont, the really murky one that is full of carp.

Fish_R_Us
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Lake Elizabeth? We use to get alot of crawdads in that lake also. We would take that bucket of crawfish and haul it over the hill to use as catfish bait in the San Joaquin River between Patterson and Crow's Landing.