PDA

View Full Version : Pro-cure gel ?

Globetrouter
02-23-2008, 06:56 PM
I have a quick question. A buddy of mine just gave me two things of pro-cure gel. One is carp spit and the other is trophy trout. The questions I have are one, does this stuff work? Second is how do I use it. Put it on lures? Inject worms? Any tips would be really appreciated. [smiley=worthy.gif]

Thanks!

zhands
02-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Those are 2 good ones that I have heard (read) mentioned alot. the Sniffers here are much more experienced than I. I suggest you do a search on the boards and see what you come up with. The answer is all of the above. I have a good collection now in my stink bag.

I have tried making my own also *[smiley=stirthepot.gif]

Try the site:

http://www.pro-cure.com/gel.html

Jetspray
02-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Trophy Trout works good on lures, just make sure you soap and water wash them when you get home. I use sprays for worms though...Jetspray

troutfan
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I use the Carp Spit on worms and Power Bait and it seems to work quite well. When trolling I put a little Trophy Trout on the hooks of the lure so it doesn't affect the action.

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
I use the Carp Spit on worms and Power Bait and it seems to work quite well. *When trolling I put a little Trophy Trout on the hooks of the lure so it doesn't affect the action.

Got me some Pro-cure gel in krill. If you put it on and you catch a fish there is no empirical way to know it was the gel or not.

CC

zhands
02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I use the Carp Spit on worms and Power Bait and it seems to work quite well. *When trolling I put a little Trophy Trout on the hooks of the lure so it doesn't affect the action.

Got me some Pro-cure gel in krill. If you put it on and you catch a fish there is no empirical way to know it was the gel or not.

CC

Good point CC And that's the other side of the scent story * [smiley=baghead.gif]
I don't think there is any empirical evidence, no double blind studies that I’m aware of. Would be nice to see some by somebody whom doen't sell it. [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=yo-yo.gif]

troutfan
02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

CC

Good point CC And that's the other side of the scent story * [smiley=baghead.gif]
I don't think there is any empirical evidence, no double blind studies that I’m aware of. Would be nice to see some by somebody whom doen't sell it. [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] [smiley=yo-yo.gif]
Yep I can't prove that it helps but it sure doesn't hurt. ;)

zhands
02-23-2008, 07:55 PM

CC

Yep I can't prove that it helps but it sure doesn't hurt. ;)

Well.... I just ordered a bigger stink bag if that says anything *[smiley=bath.gif]

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 07:58 PM

A point in their favor is that lots of the professional fishing guides use the stuff.

CC

TS5655
02-23-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't think the stuff works. Send me your bottles and I will put it with my 20 other bottles. ;D ;D

TS

kokemachine83
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
For Trout, i use the Shad and Krill Gels. Just don't leave in on your lures. At least get a towel and wipe it off. I think it works. :)

drstressor
02-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Here you go Dr. Z. I once did a controlled experiment using Pro-Cure Trophy Trout Butter (they didn't have gels in 2004). A friend and I used identical 3/4 oz Crippled Herring jigs (Luhr Jensen) to catch and release 50 trout. One jig had the scent applied to the hook and swivel area and the other was used as the control. We re-applied the scent after a fish was caught. We also switched rods after each fish to try to eliminate differences between the anglers. The results were:

Total fish caught

Scented jig: 31 fish (62%)
Control jig: 19 fish (38%)

Deep hooked fish (hook was in the throat or gill area)

Scented jig: 9 fish
Control jig: 2 fish

Now while the result may look like a slam dunk for using scent, analysis of the data for total fish finds that the results are not statistically significant. A deviation from the expected 25:25 ratio at least as large as what was observer would occur almost 9% of the time due to chance alone. A 5% confidence level is generally accepted as the limit for statistical significance. This is what keeps lure manufactures in business. ;) ;D

Capt.Ken
02-23-2008, 09:08 PM
As a fishing guide, the pro cure scent gels has improved our catch rates considerably. I have found carp spit to be a favorite of kokanee. trophy trout will work great on the macks. gels hold to the lures better than the oils. but like others have said, wipe off your lures when you are done. use the oils for soaking or injecting baits.
Hope this helps.
Capt. Ken

zhands
02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Here you go Dr. Z. I once did a controlled experiment using Pro-Cure Trophy Trout Butter (they didn't have gels in 2004). *A friend and I used identical 3/4 oz Crippled Herring jigs (Luhr Jensen) to catch and release 50 trout. One jig had the scent applied to the hook and swivel area and the other was used as the control. *We re-applied the scent after a fish was caught. *We also switched rods after each fish to try to eliminate differences between the anglers. *The results were:

Total fish caught

Control jig: *19 fish (38%)

Control jig: *2 fish

Now while the result may look like a slam dunk for using scent, analysis of the data for total fish finds that the results are not statistically significant. A deviation from the expected 25:25 ratio at least as large as what was observer would occur almost 9% of the time due to chance alone. *A 5% confidence level is generally accepted as the limit for statistical significance. This is what keeps lure manufactures in business. ;) ;D

Good job Doc!!!

I should have known that if anyone could have pulled an impeccably designed analysis, you would be the one.

Spoken like a true scientist….. whom actually sticks around for the final analysis. [smiley=sherlock.gif]

I’m still getting a bigger stink bag however, what can I say.
[smiley=stirthepot.gif]

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Here you go Dr. Z. I once did a controlled experiment using Pro-Cure Trophy Trout Butter (they didn't have gels in 2004). *A friend and I used identical 3/4 oz Crippled Herring jigs (Luhr Jensen) to catch and release 50 trout. One jig had the scent applied to the hook and swivel area and the other was used as the control. *We re-applied the scent after a fish was caught. *We also switched rods after each fish to try to eliminate differences between the anglers. *The results were:

Total fish caught

Control jig: *19 fish (38%)

Control jig: *2 fish

Now while the result may look like a slam dunk for using scent, analysis of the data for total fish finds that the results are not statistically significant. A deviation from the expected 25:25 ratio at least as large as what was observer would occur almost 9% of the time due to chance alone. *A 5% confidence level is generally accepted as the limit for statistical significance. This is what keeps lure manufactures in business. ;) ;D

A flaw in the study would be that the two fishermen were aware whether they were using the scented or the controll bait. This could lead to bias. The fishermen should have been blinded as to what bait was being used. There also remains the possibility that one outfit was better at catching fish then the other.

CC

fishon18
02-23-2008, 09:17 PM
It works for me, apply sparingly. Interesting data collected Doc.

Scott

dave_in_el_dorado
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
the newer shrimp/krill gel is a good one too for me anyways.

stupid question? why wipe the lures off? i have used pro cure for a number of years and generally leave it on and have noticed no ill affects on my lures, in fact the oils keep things from rusting, and i can wipe off and re-shine spoons easier if they've sat in the tackle box w/ old oily pro cure on them.

just curious....

St._Denis
02-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I would have to back up "Doc's " findings with our own casual test and control group on tahoe 10 years ago. We were strictly one rod dodger and minnow and one rod dodger and minnow with pro cure shrimp sause( I had pro-cure and a friend of mine did not and he did not believe in it working). We did this 4 days of 4 to 6 hours of fishing off downriggers in 150 to 240. Basically, it became obvious that the scent gave that rod an advantage on slow bites and could make a good bite noticably better with hook sets deeper. It is no means a blank check to success however, it did cover up my human scent and increase my fishing hits 50 percent to double . This is of course with fish that are biting that day and are not laughing at you with lock jaw! P. S. today, my friend owns just about every pro-cure product they make ! Fish On gst Blueribbon :)

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 10:40 PM
* I would have to back up "Doc's " *findings with our own casual test and control group on tahoe 10 years ago.

The fact that pros use the stuff carries more weight then any test. Enough said.

CC

GOLDENTROUT
02-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the boards Gene ;) I have heard nothing but good about you ;D

Well Capt. Doc showed it in numbers and Gene backed it up as a pro! Good call! ;D I use pro cure to cover the cig smell from my hands ;)

Me and my cousin Mike smoke none of our friends do, we use sent they do not! We spank them every time we go ;D ;D ;D I did catch my first trout at three, and can spank them and mike most of the time sent or not! But my dad still takes me to school most of the time I fish with him ;)

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM

Well Capt. Doc showed it in numbers and Gene backed it up as a pro! Good call! ;D I use pro cure to cover the cig smell from my hands ;)

Me and my cousin Mike smoke none of our friends do, we use sent they do not! We spank them every time we go ;D ;D ;D I did catch my first trout at three, and can spank them and mike most of the time sent or not! But my dad still takes me to school most of the time I fish with him ;)

It might be the tobacco. I'm gonna try some Red Man the next time I go out. ;D

CC

KOKANEEKIDTC
02-23-2008, 11:04 PM
great responses, guys. i have the gel in the kokanee special super gel and that stuff does not wash off. i leave it on as well and when applying, run a small line of it on the dodger and smear it out and a drop or so on the lure itself. seems to work for me... tc

GOLDENTROUT
02-23-2008, 11:36 PM

It might be the tobacco. I'm gonna try some Red Man the next time I go out. ;D

CC

My dad does not smoke, he quit 20 + yrs ago and still spanks me! When I find out why I will post it! He doesn't go a lot any more and will only go to a few spots you will never see people at, but has not been skunked in 10 yrs ;)

fishguts
02-24-2008, 03:38 AM
I am curious now about this.
In the experiment, I am assuming the control was the lure(s) that were without any scent and they were kept from being cross contaminated with the study lure(s) with scent applied. In my experience I find it hard to keep any scent from cross contaminating since the stuff gets on your hands and then contaminates all the equipment such as the rod, reel, line, swivels, other dodgers and lures. I think scents work great to cover up human like smells that can detract from a bite and has been fine tuned over the years to add odors that more aggressively stimulate a reaction. The lure gets them curious and the scent help stimulate the bite.

Ah heck, I just know that when the bite is slow and realize I forgot to add some scent, the bite appears to improve.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 06:42 AM
I figure it's another one of those things where even if it only increases your odds 5%, why not use it to your advantage? I never leave home with out my stink bag. *;D We ice fish a lot. Each fishermen gets 5 rods legally. Fishing with 5 guys, that's 25 rods in the water. It makes scent tests very easy to run. The scent seems to have a huge advantage, better than 30% over the rods that don't use it. Just our observations.

MM

gills
02-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Im a firm believer in Pro Cure I use to doubt it , but I pack it on every fishing trip..From here on its all I buy..

Gills

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I woudn't write off other brands. Smelly Jelly and others have products that out produce other brands under some circumstances. Yes I'm MM and I'm a Tackle HO! ;D :o 8-) Can you really have enough bottles of scent or tackle to put them on? :-? ::) 8-)

Tigerfox
02-24-2008, 07:26 AM
CC, if scents don't work then why does powerbait work? And why do they keep coming up with new and improved formulas?

And to the question or statement about both of them knowing there is an experiment going on. I shouldn't matter if the fishermen know, it's the fish that don't need to know!!!!!!!

I have read many articles about scents making a great difference when the water is murkey or cloudy. Since they can't see the bait, they need to smell it to find it. I have a feeling you know this but I wanted to voice it anyway. Just playing the devils advocate.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 07:28 AM
stupid question? *why wipe the lures off? *
just curious....
Scents, even in unrefrigerated bottles can go rancid. Rancid scents on your lures may repel your fish rather than attract. Scents may also eat into the finish of certain dodgers and lures as well as remove appliqué tapes.

MM

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 08:48 AM
CC, if scents don't work then why does powerbait work? And why do they keep coming up with new and improved formulas?

My statement was that there was no empirical way to know that a fish you catch with a bait globed in a fish scent what % of the factor is due to the scent it's self. I suspect that bare fish hook with gel would not catch significantly more fish than a bare hook without gel. When ever I see "new and improved" on the label of a product I view it as a sale gimmick.

And to the question or statement about both of them knowing there is an experiment going on. I shouldn't matter if the fishermen know, it's the fish that don't need to know!!!!!!!

But the attitudes and perceptions of the fishermen are variables themselves and must be controlled as much as possible. Here I was paying devils advocate.

I have read many articles about scents making a great difference when the water is murkey or cloudy. Since they can't see the bait, they need to smell it to find it. I have a feeling you know this but I wanted to voice it anyway. Just playing the devils advocate.

Much of what I've read sounds entirely plausible however it is anecdotal in nature. That being said the Captain is not immune to superstitious behavior. I'd wear a dead rat around my neck if I thought it would increase the quantity and size of my catch. ;)

CC

fishguts
02-24-2008, 09:20 AM
My point is that can you really be sure that lure without a scent product, any product, out fishes a non-scented lure if you can guarantee 100% that the non-scented lure and its attached equipment, including the operator of such equimpment are completely sterile of a scent product. I think it would be impossible unless the test was conducted where one boat was sterile and the other was the stink boat.

Aw heck, I use it too but I don't replace my bottles every year. Maybe every 3 years or so and they still work fine.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 09:29 AM
My point is that can you really be sure that lure without a scent product, any product, out fishes a non-scented lure if you can guarantee 100% that the non-scented lure and its attached equipment, including the operator of such equimpment are completely sterile of a *scent product. I think it would be impossible unless the test was conducted where one boat was sterile and the other was the stink boat.

Aw heck, I use it too but I don't replace my bottles every year. Maybe every 3 years or so and they still work fine.
With our ice fishing studies we can. Some of the guys that fish with us use the same exact bait and the same depth and are in the same proximity to the fish. Each person has 5 rods in 5 separate holes. Knowing they and their rods have not come in contact with our scents make for a good control for our empirical experiments. These experiments have been carried out hundreds of times with similar results. I'd say that allows us to come up with results that can be duplicated numerous times to allow for a conclusion.

fishguts
02-24-2008, 09:32 AM
If those 5 rods were used previously with scent then the line, rod and reel would most likely be contaminated. Oh man, I haven't use this side of my thinking cap since college. In any case I am only asking questions a scientist would ask to ensure that the study is not tainted.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Since the person fishing with the 5 rods doesn't use scent. That wouldn't be possible. We replace that person with another person with the same circumstances on a regular basis to make sure the controls are correct. We even compare the regular application of fresh scent vs. scenting only once before fishing. When you ice fish with up to 10 guys (50 rods at a time) you have a lot of time to study the results of color, scent, bait and such. ;)

Rather than questioning the results of our studies over a 5 year period why don't you conduct one on your own. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] 8-) 8-)

atavuss
02-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I am glad this post came up to remind me to throw out last year's pro-cure gells and buy all new ones for this year's season! some of them I never even opened yet. but........like I remember someone saying a while back, how do you tell when something that already smells bad goes bad? :D

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't toss them all on a yearly basis. Some are more fragile than others. Krill and and fish egg based scents seem to go bad easier than others. Some are impossible to tell by smell so color change can be a good indication. Oil gel suspension seems to keep longer than the old scent based pastes and liquids.

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
If those 5 rods were used previously with scent then the line, rod and reel would most likely be contaminated. Oh man, I haven't use this side of my thinking cap since college. In any case I am *only asking questions a scientist would ask to ensure that the study is not tainted.

Exactly. My academic background includes experimental design, statistics and the philosophy of science. This tends to make me quite skeptical. That being said I got some Pro-Cure gel in Kril flavor last December and intend to try it on lures. The only real serious lure fishing I have done sense then is at Pyramid and I don't think you are allowed to use it there. I did put some on a Kastmaster at Topaz with zero results however zero results is a way of life at Topaz. The only real attractant I've had personal success with is using WD-40 on Catfish bait. It kicks butt. :D

CC

troutfan
02-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I woudn't write off other brands. Smelly Jelly and others have products that out produce other brands under some circumstances. Yes I'm MM and I'm a Tackle HO! *;D :o 8-) Can you really have enough bottles of scent or tackle to put them on? * *:-? ::) 8-)
I have found the smelly jelly scents to be very effective but when it's cold they get hard and impossible to work with.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Be aware that WD-40 is a petroleum distillate and is illegal to use in all California waters as an attractant.

troutfan
02-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Be aware that WD-40 is a petroleum distillate and is illegal to use in all California waters as an attractant.
...and it is simply not good for the environment. *Scents like Pro-cure work better and are 100% biodegradable. ;)

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 10:27 AM

True. Wonder what these other attractants use as a base?

CC

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 10:29 AM
On the Catfish Boards the guys have been pretty impressed with how Carpspit is working for Catfish. ;)

troutfan
02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
On the Catfish Boards the guys have been pretty impressed with how Carpspit is working for Catfish. *;)
I use it for baitfishing for trout and it's my favorite.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I'll have to give it a try. For bait fishing I've been using Powerbait Liquid for Trout for years with a lot of success. I too like the Chartreuse Powerbait Nuggets. ;)

Camanche Zach
02-24-2008, 10:45 AM
this stuff really works. this was the key to catching our big fish at camanche. we used nightcrawler procure. we had a big fish short strike a lure and it came back within seconds. once they get that taste in their mouth they want more.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
I woudn't write off other brands. Smelly Jelly and others have products that out produce other brands under some circumstances. Yes I'm MM and I'm a Tackle HO! *;D :o 8-) Can you really have enough bottles of scent or tackle to put them on? * *:-? ::) 8-)
I have found the smelly jelly scents to be very effective but when it's cold they get hard and impossible to work with.
Smelly jelly is available in liquid as well. ;)

Ironhead
02-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I replaced all mine this year. At $4 a bottle, why take a chance. If that gives me a 10% better chance, why not. Cheap insurance and you know it is fresh. For those of you that the bottles/tubes get frozen or to cold to use, I had a good friend make me a carrying case out of a old tackle box with a plastic support. It can then ride in the truck on the way to lake and be at a usable temperature when you start. I discussed this topic with the pro-cure rep at the show this year and his response was: below 80* and no damage to the product. Also, all the new pro-cure scents have UV in them, whether it is stated or not.

Ironhead

drstressor
02-24-2008, 11:33 AM
In my experience I find it hard to keep any scent from cross contaminating since the stuff gets on your hands and then contaminates all the equipment such as the rod, reel, line, swivels, other dodgers and lures.

There is no such thing as a perfect experiment. In the world of real experimental science, a hypothesis should be tested using at least 3 different experimental approaches. I could do this if somebody would pay me. ;) ;D Otherwise, I'll continue fishing just for fun. :)

Statistical significance is a major factor in any experimental design. The number of anglers and the total number of fish to be caught need to be figured out before conducting the experiment. You would be surprised by the number of events that need to be collected in order to minimize the effects of random chance. For example, then somebody reports that 3 fish were caught on a fire tiger Rapala and only one a black/gold, the results are meaningless. But as I said, that's what makes people believe that a wide selection of lures is important and it keeps tackle companies in business.

The test that Don cites does not account for the anglers as significant variables. Many people secrete compounds such as L-serine from their skin, which is a well know fish repellent. Others do not. Washing your hands before touching your bait or lure and masking human odors or flavors with a scent should help even up the odds between the stinkers and non-stinkers.

zhands
02-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for that. [smiley=yikes.gif]

troutfan
02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Smelly jelly is available in liquid as well. *;)
For some reason I have never found it in our local stores when I was looking for scent and now I just use Pro-cure.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Doc,

I'd like to have more control over the tests but they won't let me fish with more than 5 rods. ;D

My point was that with many variables in the mix, using a high number of tests over a long period of time, we have seen trends that remain constant. These trends are how I increase the odds in my favor as often as possible. As you point out this is just my personal experience and is not completely scientific. Still, it has really helped my fishing success and I thought I would share the results with the boards.

How much do you want to run these tests? Maybe we could all chip in. :D

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

troutfan
02-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Doc,

I'd like to have more control over the tests but they won't let me fish with more than 5 rods. *;D

My point was that with many variables in the mix, using a high number of tests over a long period of time, we have seen trends that remain constant. These trends are how I increase the odds in my favor as often as possible. As you point out this is just my personal experience and is not completely scientific. Still, it has really helped my fishing success and I thought I would share the results with the boards.

How much do you want to run these tests? Maybe we could all chip in. *:D

MM 8-) ;D 8-)
Although I use scents on a regular basis I'm quite convinced that the most significant factor in my fishing success is which hat I wear! ;) ;D ;D ;D

zhands
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Doc,

I'd like to have more control over the tests but they won't let me fish with more than 5 rods. *;D

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

5 rods *??? [smiley=yikes.gif]
What does Idaho have..... 5 times more fish. In Calif. 2 rods are max, as far as I understand it.

metalmouth
02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Doc,

MM 8-) ;D 8-)

5 rods *??? [smiley=yikes.gif]
What does Idaho have..... 5 times more fish. In Calif. 2 rods is max, as far as I understand it.

It becomes a real fire drill when a school of 5000 Kokanee come in and you look around to see 50 to 100 rods all bent at the same time. ;)

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
How much do you want to run these tests? Maybe we could all chip in. *:D

Perhaps we could get an NAS grant. ::)

CC

fishguts
02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Would like to try the experiment but I know the study would be tainted and I do not have the luxury of resources to do it with. I am only asking questions to get the complete picture. I think thats fair.

Globetrouter
02-24-2008, 02:46 PM
WOW!!!!! :o :o :o :o I just has a couple of quick questions that needed answers. I had no idea that I would be getting pages of info! THANKS GUYS! I will take notes and try a few "experiments" on Wednesday in the mountains. I'll post any results.

Thanks again!!!!

fishguts
02-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Thats what is so fun about this board, you can get in to some really interesting discussions [smiley=fencing.gif]and your learing curve goes up dramatically.
[smiley=clap.gif]

Jetspray
02-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Globetrouter I use scents on my lures and in my DR weights. That being said look at how many products out there attempt to remove human scent out of the picture before you apply stuff with your hands. rubber gloves alone are great for this, but there are bars, wipes and sprays too....jsut my 2 scents....Jetspray

DazShooter
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
You want a test to see if it works? Put the gel on my bait, if I actually catch a fish, it works! To be honest, I don't care if it really works well or not. In my mind, I feel like when I use Pro-Cure I have an advantage. And to me that extra couple of bucks spent to feel the "advantage" is worth it. It's not a guarantee, but it's not a gimmick also.

I'd never go to gunfight without enough ammo.

ProStaff
02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone else notice an increase in action or improvement when switching from the bait butter to the gels?
ProStaff

drstressor
02-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Not really. But I only put the stuff on the hooks anyway. The gel is much better than the butter if you smear it on the lure. I'm concerned about the inclusion of UV reflecting pigment in all of their new products. Since some fish can see UV under certain conditions, the way you apply the gel or oil can change the pattern of the lure you are using.

metalmouth
02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
I stocked up on the butter when they discounted it. Still have 4 bottles of Trophy Trout unopened and in the fridge. ;)

camotracker
02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I USE IT ALL THE TIME. i've notice when i use the same color bait i would add the gel to one and nothing on the other. the one with the gel get's the hits more time than the other

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Captain Compassion
02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Question. Are you allowed to use attractant at Pyramid?

CC

drstressor
02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Technically no, since it contains animal products.

metalmouth
02-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Kind of a gray area. It's not bait but . . .

I sure would like to see a definitive answer to this question. I've seen and heard it debated for a long time. Maybe someone could contact the tribe with that one?????????? ::) :-? 8-)

drstressor
02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
They waited a couple of years until they finally included in their regulations that Powerbait and similar products were indeed illegal baits.

We did that jig study to see if scented jigs increased mortality. They did in that test and the results were statistically significant. I have no idea if mortality would be affected when scents are used on trolled lures. But maybe somebody other than myself should contact Pyramid Lake Fisheries about scents. :-[

metalmouth
02-25-2008, 06:59 PM
or we could just let sleeping dogs . . . 8-)

Trout_Terminator
02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
hey, do they sell that stuff at like wall mart or sports authority, or can you only get it online?

fenton_chris
02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't think the stuff works. *Send me your bottles and I will put it with my 20 other bottles. * *;D ;D

TS

i agree, i have see no difference. i usually run with no scent. when its slow i'll try some and still nothing inproves.