PDA

View Full Version : 'Baitin' refresher...

underdogs_catfish
02-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Do "Powerbait" style baits expire, or are they just "toss when dry"? Is there a way to reconstitute them, or is it just better to buy new if unsure. (We obviously don't trout fish nearly enough...lol) Thanks in advance ;) Hey....hmmm...has anyone ever made their own? ;D

Mr_Ed
02-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I tried cooking oil and scents to dried out *PB to see if it could come back to life.

It never came back to the form or consistancy that would stay on the hook well. * Just put the lid on tight and it might last two seasons. ;)

If you find it under $5 just get two !!

As for the smell ...no, and most fishermen have to check their bait before the scent is gone !! ;D ;D

wolfden
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey....hmmm...has anyone ever made their own?

Hey Captain....You ever try that ;D ;D

I know you tried the scent thing once....AKA "the Doctor" ;) ;)

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey....hmmm...has anyone ever made their own?

Hey Captain....You ever try that ;D ;D

I know you tried the scent thing once....AKA "the Doctor" *;) ;)

Strange that you mention this. :D One of the first floating baits was Zekes. Prior to that the cheese bait of choice was Velveeta Cheese spread. We would mix in Kapok fibers to make it float. To this mixture you can add ground fish chow. It worked. 8-)

CC

wolfden
02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Captain,

What is kapok fiber :-?

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Captain,

What is kapok fiber :-?

It is a highly bouyant and waterproof fiber that is derived from the seeds of the Kapok tree. It was used for life jackets at one time.

CC

dansan
02-22-2008, 10:17 PM
And it's important that trout get their fiber...

wolfden
02-22-2008, 10:20 PM
It is a highly bouyant and waterproof fiber that is derived from the seeds of the Kapok tree. It was used for life jackets at one time.

CC

Man Captain,

With you I learn something new everyday ;D ;D

dave_in_el_dorado
02-22-2008, 10:53 PM
captain, i still have a jar of zekes in the tackle box, and it still holds a hook and floats....great stuff...i just havent bait fished much the last 15 years. think its worth anything ;D ;D

Captain Compassion
02-22-2008, 11:04 PM
captain, i still have a jar of zekes in the tackle box, and it still holds a hook and floats....great stuff...i just havent bait fished much the last 15 years. *think its worth anything *;D *;D

Try eBay. ;D

CC

troutbitch
02-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I started to write the date on my new jars of bait when I open them up. I do think that the freasher the bait the better off you are, I throw my baits out after they are a year old I don't wait for it to dry out. My catch ratio seems to have gone up since I started to doing this. Good luck * [smiley=angling.gif]

fish10plus
02-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Depending on the amount left in the jar I just and abit of bottled water and scent it do not try to mix just let it sit with the cap on it tight for about a week. Sun or no sun works eather way.