PDA

View Full Version : Heading to commanche- results

fishinator
02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Looks like Gills and I will be breaking in his new NR at Commanche tomorrow. It will be our fist time out there. Where is the brest place to launch? South shore/north shore? I read the dam, the bridge are good place to try. Are these very easy to find? Might have to run out and get a map after work tonight.
ANY tips would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Fishinator

FishWisher
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
The south ramp is closed due to low water, but a lower ramp is nearby. Just follow the signs. It's a good ramp with a dock.

I left all the fish for you guys when I was there yesterday. :(

Dale

camotracker
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
good luck out there phil and gills. will be waiting for the report when you guy's get back

Dennis
02-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Looks like Gills and I will be breaking in his new NR at Commanche tomorrow. It will be our fist time out there. Where is the brest place to launch? South shore/north shore? I read the dam, the bridge are good place to try. Are these very easy to find? Might have to run out and get a map after work tonight.
ANY tips would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Fishinator
Well it depends on where your coming from. I live in Elk Grove and I find the North Ramp easier to access. Take Liberty Road East from Hwy 99 and keep going straight when you come to Hyw 88. You'll be on North Camanche Parkway and it will take you right to the turn off for the North Shore Ramp. The Dam is on the West end of the Lake and the Bridge is on the East end. The bridge is a little farther from the launch ramp and a little harder to find as you have to weave a bit to find it. The dam isn't hard to find. Good luck.

SSTiddy
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't own a boat so I'm not going to suggest which is the better launch location. I rent a boat when I go, and yes both locations are easy to find. I always go to the south shore so I will give you directions from there. As you leave the marina you will go north thru the channel until it opens up, at this point if you go to the right all the way back until you are forced to follow the water to the left you will find the bridge. To find the dam you go the opposite direction (left out of the channel).
Now there are much more qualified people on this board to give out fishing tips at this lake, but what worked for me was trolling between hat island (looks like it's name) and the dam. I worked with silver flashers trailed by either a red wedding ring, fire tiger needle fish, silver kastmaster, rainbow daredevil or a rainbow apex, 18" back all tipped with a worm. I usually start by toplining 150' back and work my way down to 20'-30'. They all have caught fish for me at one time or another.
Now up at the bridge I used tactics that I read about on this board, and man does it work. Drift a crawler starting above the bridge until you pass the bridge, then do it again..and again....etc. Once again I start at the top of the water column and work my way down until I find them.
Like I said there are plenty of more qualified people than I to give advice on this lake, and I'm sure some of them will chime in.
Good luck out there *;) and let us know how ya do.
* * * * *"Tight lines" Steve aka SSTiddy * [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

gills
02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I am following the same directions as going to Pardee, but turning at Coal Mine Road to Camanche Pkwy North.

I assume that is the North shore. Gonna be good to be out with some buddys and getting into some fish hopefully winds should be a little less according to the weatherman...

Hopefully we will have some pics tommorow!!!

Gills

GW_Extreme
02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Be very careful leaving the launch areas there are lots of very shallow areas even in the middle of the lake.

gills
02-22-2008, 05:04 AM
GW
Thanks, yea thats all I need is to bottom out...

Gills
5am ready to roll....

Berryessa Kid
02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey gills,
Be sure to have dry ropes and bilge. You now have to sign a form to put your boat in. Heard of a few mad anglers being turned away. From my experience alot of the time the fishin will lag from 11 am to 1 or 2 p.m. or so, so hang in there the afternoon bight can be afternoon delight "thats a song" [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Have fun!!

bigb08
02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
launch at north shore when your coming out of the launch head to the right I dont put in a line until the big island and just work the island all the way around the face of the dam and back most of the morning using rapala j-7 thru 11 in black and gold , fire tiger, and brook trout if no luck try some 3 inch grubs orange or pearl watch out lake is very low good luck

gills
02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Update,

Did the Camanche trip, slow day picked up two trout toplining a Firetiger grub w a lime green power egg sauced in Pro Cure Krill... Guys heading out there be real carefull!!!!! that lake goes from 70ft to 8 & 9 feet real quick more concerned about hanging up the DR weights.

Trolled the dam, hat island and cruised back to the bridge watch out back by the bridge there is a 8x10 slab of concrete on the South East side you will see it..

The new ride has been de skunked and has mojo on it !!! Fishinator took some pics we will see if he posts them...

Gills

fishinator
02-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Well of course the day was wet off and on, but we stayed dry in Gills new ride!!! Worked out the kinks and had a great day on the water. The fishing could of been better, but there is always next trip ;D Here is a pick of Gills with the fisrt fish for the new boat.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9928/hpim1259yq3.jpg
..and here is a pic of the new set up.
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3145/hpim1260ys3.jpg

fishinator

SSTiddy
02-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Well, sorry you guy's didn't kill'em, but you were having more fun than me (working) *:'(! Looks like you broke the new ride in right *[smiley=thumbsup.gif] (very nice by the way)! Glad to hear you had a good time out there and thanks for the info. on the lake!
"Tight lines"

* Steve * aka * SSTiddy

dirty3hirties
02-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice boat gills! Too bad you didn't get into more fish. Better luck next time. :)

billfisher
02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey, you got the skunk off of the boat your first time out! ;) There will be plenty of great days ahead. Nice set up!

camotracker
02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
that a boy gills, get the boat all bloody. congrats. 8-)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

maui_mark
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Gills... Congrats on the new boat!
Hang in there! There are much bigger fish to be caught and you definitely have the rig to haul them in! Mark