PDA

View Full Version : Topaz - Before The Storm (Pics)

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Big storm coming in on Saturday afternoon so off for a little morning fishing at Topaz. Arrived North shore at 8:50 and fished until 10:45. Used Green Gulp and tossed a 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster. Had one bite and managed to land a fat 19" 3 lb 1 oz bow. Two other guys fishing on either side of me had been there for the last two days without a stike. The wind was calm with overcast skies. It was cold with ice on the guides after every cast. At 10:30 the wind started picking up out of the south. Time to go. Managed to beat the storm for a fat trout. A wonderful day.

CC

CALM BEFORE THE STORM
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022308-01.jpg
THE WAITING GAME
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022308-02.jpg
THE REWARD
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/022308-03.jpg

GOLDENTROUT
02-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Nice pic's ;) That fish is a fatty, bet he'll make a good meal ;D good job Capt.

Athlete24
02-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Now thats a nice fat healthy trout. Way to go captain. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] And as usual, great pics.

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice pic's ;) That fish is a fatty, bet he'll make a good meal ;D good job Capt.

Thanks GT.

CC

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Now thats a nice fat healthy trout. *Way to go captain. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] *And as usual, great pics.

Caught it on the Ultra Lite. Gave me a good ride.

CC

Athlete24
02-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Thats the way to do it, on the light tacke. *You mentioned it being cold, how do you keep your hands warm. Gloves or fingerless gloves? *My hands always get real cold and swell up. *I live in the central valley and am not used to really cold weather except sometimes in the morning.

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats the way to do it, on the light tacke. *You mentioned it being cold, how do you keep your hands warm. Gloves or fingerless gloves? *My hands always get real cold and swell up. *I live in the central valley and am not used to really cold weather except sometimes in the morning.

I usually wear gloves however today I didn't. There was little wind so temps in the mid to high 20s isn't really a problem. It's the wind that's a killer here in the high country.

CC

Fish_Bully
02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Good to see you made it before the whopping storm hits. I hear ya with the icing of the guides, a couple weeks ago I had a lot of trouble with 12 (count em) guides freezing on my fly pole. Very annoying and cold!

And yea, whew baby what a fat trout! Bet that would make mighty fine fish tacos.

Flip

GOLDENTROUT
02-23-2008, 01:27 PM
quote author=Captain Compassion link=1203800154/0#6 date=1203801423]
It's the wind that's a killer here in the high country.CC

You can say that again ;D

Athlete24
02-23-2008, 01:27 PM
temps in the mid to high 20s isn't really a problem. It's the wind that's a killer here in the high country.

CC

You must just be used to the cold weather, unlike me. ;D

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Good to see you made it before the whopping storm hits. I hear ya with the icing of the guides, a couple weeks ago I had a lot of trouble with 12 (count em) guides freezing on my fly pole. Very annoying and cold!

And yea, whew baby what a fat trout! Bet that would make mighty fine fish tacos.

I've got three of these in the freezer now. Good red flesh. Fish Tacos? Wonderful idea. Thanks Flip,

CC

MacDaddy
02-23-2008, 02:13 PM
thats a clean lookn trout with no sign of any parasites have u caught any with the scares from those nasty bugs or r they all gone

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
temps in the mid to high 20s isn't really a problem. It's the wind that's a killer here in the high country.

CC

You must just be used to the cold weather, unlike me. ;D

I am now that I've lived up here a year.

CC

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
thats a clean lookn trout with no sign of any parasites have u caught any with the scares from those nasty bugs or r they all gone

Several trout I've caught from Topaz have been scared. The trout I caught today I don't beliece that it is a Topaz hold over but one of the pen raised trout planted last December. It is closer to the tagged trout that my wife caught then the other Bowcutts and Bows I'be caught earlier this month.

CC

wolfden
02-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Are the trout from Topaz know to have more parasites than the average lake?????

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Are the trout from Topaz know to have more parasites than the average lake?????

It is my understand there have been some problems with Topaz fish. It certainly doesn't effect their flavor. They are quite tasty.

CC

wolfden
02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
So it affects the appearance of the fish and not the table quality of the fish??

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 03:58 PM
So it affects the appearance of the fish and not the table quality of the fish??

Yes.

CC

troutfan
02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
This parasite only affects certain strains of Rainbows. *None of the hybrid trout have them and some of the Rainbows don't have them either. *The biologists say that the parasite is topical and does not reside in the flesh and poses no threat for eating them. *Topaz has always had this problem with the parasites, atleast for the thirty years I've been fishing it. *Some folks think that the penfish program has been a major cause of the parasite but the parasites were around long before the pen program. *I'm sure someone like Doc could give you a more scientific explanation.

Mr_Ed
02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Same thing with the "Pods" on and in the gill plates of the Kokanee.

Look bad but the fish is fine as long as it is cooked properly.

troutfan
02-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Captain,
I'm curious if that pig you caught was a pen fish. Was he red or white meat? Those Topaz pen fish are the best looking pen fish I have seen but they certainly don't have the meat of the holdovers. That is a beautiful fish. Good job! 8-)

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Captain,
I'm curious if that pig you caught was a pen fish. *Was he red or white meat? *Those Topaz pen fish are the best looking pen fish I have seen but they certainly don't have the meat of the holdovers. *That is a beautiful fish. *Good job! 8-)

It was lighter then the 20" bow I caught. About the same as the tagged fish caught by Mrs. C. That tagged trout has all ready been eaten and it was good.

CC

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Troutfan, Mr Ed. FYI. I saw no indication of the Nevada fish planting. I assume they were planted by the marina.

CC

troutfan
02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Troutfan, Mr Ed. FYI. I saw no indication of the Nevada fish planting. I assume they were planted by the marina.

CC

I would guess they would plant them at the Park. Hopefully a good number survive for next year.

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 08:25 PM

CC

I would guess they would plant them at the Park. *Hopefully a good number survive for next year.

Certainly few were fishing for them on Saturday. I saw only one boat. No one will be fishing on Sunday. I all ready have 6" of snow here in North Minden.

CC

Mackattack
02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Nice catch captn. and nice pics as well. Thanks for the photo help also. You are on top of my heros list as of now. [smiley=worthy.gif]

Mackattack

zhands
02-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Nice job... Nice pics Captain, as usual. Thanks to your posts, you’ve put Topaz on my permanent radar. Hope to meet you out there one of these days. :)

Captain Compassion
02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice job... Nice pics Captain, as usual. Thanks to your posts, you’ve put Topaz on my permanent radar. Hope to meet you out there one of these days. *:)

Thanks sir. Topaz is beginning to grow on me. No great numbers as of yet but the secenery is beautiful, the fish have good size and they keep giving me money. 8-)

CC

Mr_Ed
02-24-2008, 07:57 AM
CC;
You timed it just right.

Reno got 9" of snow last night !! :o

B-RAN
02-24-2008, 08:00 AM
nice jo i have the same tackle box !!!!!

h2odog
02-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Congrats Captain:
That's one nice trout. Hey, wasn't the 23rd near a full moon? I thought you we couldn't catch fish on a full moon.

And your photos are beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
nice jo i have the same tackle box !!!!!

It's my bait fishing/Pyramid Lake tackle box. When I'm fishing with lures and walking the shore I usually wear a fishing vest. Don't like to carry things when I move.

CC

Mr._Striper
02-24-2008, 08:58 AM
As always the best pics and reports. Thank you sir ;)

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats Captain:
That's one nice trout. *Hey, wasn't the 23rd near a full moon? *I thought you we couldn't catch fish on a full moon. *

And your photos are beautiful too. Thanks for sharing.

The phase of the moon only plays a role in fishing when you get skunked. ;)

CC

fishlipd
02-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I would love to try out my cajun fish taco recipe with fresh slaw and a mango salsa on those beauties you got in the freezer. :D Great report and pics as always. I am going to make some plans to drag my Klamath up there and when I do hopefully I can talk you into a free boat ride. We'll trade, you show me around and all your secrets and I'll drag you around the lake all day long...sound good? 8-)

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I would love to try out my cajun fish taco recipe with fresh slaw and a mango salsa on those beauties you got in the freezer. :D Great report and pics as always. I am going to make some plans to drag my Klamath up there and when I do hopefully I can talk you into a free boat ride. We'll trade, you show me around and all your secrets and I'll drag you around the lake all day long...sound good? 8-)

Absolutely. [smiley=excited.gif] I rehabed my old lead core outfit and I need to give her a try. I'm not an expert at trolling that lake but I'm sure Troutfan can give us a few pointers. The fish should start moving around next month.

CC

mrsockeye
02-24-2008, 10:16 AM
If it gets real cold out there at Topaz, there are spots you can drive down to the lake shore and dunk bait while sitting in the comfort of your truck. You will need 4wd though. But if you're dying to get out in bad weather, this might be the way to go. Whiskey may also help. ;D

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 10:21 AM
If it gets real cold out there at Topaz, there are spots you can drive down to the lake shore and dunk bait while sitting in the comfort of your truck. *You will need 4wd though. *But if you're dying to get out in bad weather, this might be the way to go. *Whiskey may also help. *;D

It is my informed opinion that whiskey in moderate doses never hurts. ;D

CC

fishlipd
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I like to live by the motto,"do nothing in moderation". I look forward to it Capt. I'll have to check my work schedule and see when I have a long weekend so I can camp and chase some browns at some of the other close lakes. I know you would be up for that too. [smiley=yahoo.gif] [smiley=party.gif]

Captain Compassion
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I like to live by the motto,"do nothing in moderation". I look forward to it Capt. I'll have to check my work schedule and see when I have a long weekend so I can camp and chase some browns at some of the other close lakes. I know you would be up for that too. [smiley=yahoo.gif] [smiley=party.gif]

Sweet. A lot of the local lakes where Browns can be had such as Silver and Caples are locked under many feet of ice and snow and wont be open until perhaps May. South of 395 there are good browns to be had at Bridgeport, Twin Lakes and Lundy but these don't open until the last Saturday in April. Be that as it may there are always options.

CC

Mr_Ed
02-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Testing new site.............

http://i32.tinypic.com/ht9x5k_th.jpg
almost...........

http://i32.tinypic.com/ht9x5k.jpg

Alrighty....good enough.

Later