PDA

View Full Version : Hills Creek Fishery

Troutski
02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
After lurking for a while now I thought I would share some of our local lakes here in the Willamette Valley just a quick trip North from the border. We have a blended fishery here, flood control created quite a few very nice res. in the local area and between the pocket-biologist and ODFW we have a very nice fishery. This morning I made it out at sunrise to Hills Creek Res. and was rewarded with a pair of dueling Eagles, amazing site - it set the mood for the rest of the day; within a couple of min. of trolling and a respectable Rainbow in the net. I got to the back of the res and the sun made a rare appearance the water temp was up from last week and the fish were very active. Got to cast spoons to rising fish all morning long, I was rewarded with a few larger than average Trout, once the wind kicked up in the early afternoon trolled back to the ramp. Great day on the water, Two CutThroats, One BullTrout and a half a dozen nice Rainbows nice day on the water. If I can manage it there should be a few pictures attached.

Chuck
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/Troutski/P2190003.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/Troutski/P2190002.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/Troutski/P2190001.jpg

Captain Compassion
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice pictures. I thought that the sun never shined in that part of the workd. Thanks for the post.

CC

dano
02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey did you get a pic of the Bull trout? Any info on Foster res. would be aa treat too. Not exactly the same area but I have kind of a connection to that area. Just a thought.
thanks
Dano

LJ
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I would also like to see some of the pics. of the Bull trout, I hear they can be real monsters.

Troutski
02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Nice pictures. I thought that the sun never shined in that part of the workd. Thanks for the post.

CC

I believe it was imported just for the Three day weekend, I got the leftovers...

Chuck

Troutski
02-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey did you get a pic of the Bull trout? Any info on Foster res. would be aa treat too. Not exactly the same area but I have kind of a connection to that area. Just a thought.
thanks
Dano

Foster is alive and well, a little volcanic active this last summer; kinda kept the visitors off the lake but the locals had a very nice year as far as the Koke's are considered. As far as getting a picture of the BullTrout are concerned, really not suppose to handle the fish or take them out of the water if at all possible. I do have a few pictures from years past before the fish was listed. I see if I have a couple shots.

Chuck

Troutski
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Bulltrout.....here is one I caught last February in B.C. on UpperArrow Lake. Wonderful memories.

Chuck

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q61/Troutski/DorsolDolly-1.jpg

SSTiddy
02-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Troutski, now your talking about my old stomping grounds [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I was born and raised in Eugene. Over the years I've fished Just about every drive-to location from Cleawox (west) to Prineville Res. (east). All the way down to Diamond Lake (south) and up to the Columbia River (north). But I would have to say *that Hills Creek Res. and the Middle fork of the Willamette River just above, hold a very special place in my heart *:D. I caught my first fish in an un-named camping spot just past Sacandaga right there on the middle fork *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Even though my dad was never really into fishing he would take us up to the Res. or Middle fork at least a couple of times a year. He really loves that part of the Cascades.
It's been so long that I don't even remeber for sure when it was, the last time I was there. I do remember that they were doing something to the Res. and it was drained, pretty much just a mud hole. So I went upriver and caught a few nice little one's up there *[smiley=fishing1.gif].
Thank you very much for posting the pictures and report, it brang me a big smile *;D to see those waters again. Best of luck to ya, and feel free to post pictures of the Northwest anytime *;).
Tight lines!!!!! * *Steve aka SSTiddy

Troutski
02-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Troutski, now your talking about my old stomping grounds [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I was born and raised in Eugene. Over the years I've fished Just about every drive-to location from Cleawox (west) to Prineville Res. (east). All the way down to Diamond Lake (south) and up to the Columbia River (north). But I would have to say that Hills Creek Res. and the Middle fork of the Willamette River just above, hold a very special place in my heart :D. I caught my first fish in an un-named camping spot just past Sacandaga right there on the middle fork [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Even though my dad was never really into fishing he would take us up to the Res. or Middle fork at least a couple of times a year. He really loves that part of the Cascades.
It's been so long that I don't even remeber for sure when it was, the last time I was there. I do remember that they were doing something to the Res. and it was drained, pretty much just a mud hole. So I went upriver and caught a few nice little one's up there [smiley=fishing1.gif].
Thank you very much for posting the pictures and report, it brang me a big smile ;D to see those waters again. Best of luck to ya, and feel free to post pictures of the Northwest anytime ;).
Tight lines!!!!! Steve aka SSTiddy

Your welcome Steve, I plan on posting each week on a different body of water; all though it is becoming more difficult each time to go to another body of water. There is just so much fishable water within an hour of my driveway...If you want to here is a site that is the bible on water flow and res. levels in my back yard.
http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nwp/Reports/synopsis.out

Chuck