PDA

View Full Version : Another Pyramid report 02/18/08

ODDIE
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Okie and I decided to fish Pyramid on Monday. I met up with him in Reno and off to the lake. We launched and ran north to a little past spider point. Started trolling north from there and we were fishing by 10 am. I caught the first cut just as we entered Warrier bay, pink apex otw at 29' in 60 foot deep water. We trolled all day between 2.4 and 2.7 mph. Okie caught a very nice 25" about 5.5 to 6 lbs on a pink torpedo with black spots, at 23' otw in 50' of water and we caught 2 other cuts in that area, trolled up to the willows. Headed up to the needles and met up with Cuhogn, his dad and son. Had been chatting with them on the radio all morning. Water temp was 42 in Warrier Bay and 44-45 at the needles. The bite got a lot better about 2:15 pm. Okie put on a slender silver spoon with orange inserts on a 3.5 foot leader with a Vances silver dodger in front of it. He ended up catching 5 of his 6 fish on it! :D
I switched to a black torpedo with red dots with the same dodger and caught several on that setup. At the needles we boated 8 more cuts and lost 4 or 5 more due to LDR'S. The last hook up of the day was at 4 pm and I lost a really big one, it took out about 300 feet of line against the drag, I never gained an inch on it, it came up to the surface and I saw over 2' of body, I think it was in the 10-12 lb range, mayby bigger. Cuhogn and his guys saw it roll on the surface also. :'( :'(
We ended up boating 6 fish each, kept 3 in the 17-18" size and Okie's big one. 2 we released were about 15" and the rest were slot fish from 19.5-22". Total was 12 landes and the 4-5 LDR'S. Weather was great and we had a really good time. Also met Fernly Tim and Fishing Buddy at the Needles and at the ramp at the end of the day. They had caught 9 cuts and Cuhogn & family caught 8. Thats 29 for 7 guys, Sniffers rule! I forgot to say that at the Needles we were fishing at 13-29' on the wire in 50 to 75 foot deep water on the east side of the Needles.

Hope to see everyone out there agian soon,

ODDIE

Mickey_Thomas
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Good report and a nice time to Oddie, wish I was there ;) ;D ;D Maybe next week if all works out :D

Captain Compassion
02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Sweet. Things are picking up. Nice day guys.

CC

drstressor
02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
All Right! That's a normal February pattern. 8-) The North end normally warms up first and that's where the fish usually are in early February. Pyramid has been weird that past year. I hope things get back to normal so I can start out with some idea of where to find the fish. :-/

I'll be out there next week as soon as the weather straightens out. Might even have the Mickster with me. ;)

lemonsp
02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow, that's one of the best days I have heard about in a long time out there. Nice job and thanks for the report.

cuhogn
02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Oddie great report and did enjoy chatting with you on the radio and then meeting up.

there were 3 "locals" parked at the geyser and fishing off the east side Doc so didn't get to run that inside line ;) Fish were stacked in that cove before the geyser just never could get them to turn on.
Good luck Mickey and Doc .

Mongo
Sorry we missed you and Fishing Buddy up there.

okie
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
it was a great dAY Meeting everyone out there, apparently mongo is having problems with his radio, he was talkin to us just before he and fishnbuddy left to go to the east side, but i couldn't hear and understand what he was saying. mongo i was not ignoring you, a couple of weeks ago my wife stopped me from talkin when i dont understand, she said shut up and i thought she said stand up a i got a blk eye out of it. hope you get the radio fixed.
bill

THE_TROUTKING
02-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Nice report it might be time for a road trip :)
Brian