PDA

View Full Version : Pardee 2-18

pontoon_crew
02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Got on the water by 9am.Started trolling the damn area for an hour with no luck.Finally I hook up on a measley 14in. in front of the spillway.We head up river within a hour the DR goes off,we get the small Koke to the boat and try to flip him in,but he comes off half way up the boat.We keep going farther up river and I hook into a decent size Bow that fights for about 2min and comes unbuttoned.The Koke was caught at 40ft.Wedding Ring tipped w/ corn.The 2 trout were caught on a J-7,and a watermelon dodger threaded with a nightcrawler.6 hrs on the water for 1 small bow,VERY SLOW.Seemed all the other boats had about a fish or so to.

Irish
02-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Slow for me as well. Fished the river from Columbia back to just east of the mouth. Tried most everything both toplining and DR at 15 feet. Caught a very nice 2+ pound rainbow toplining that did a tail dance across the water several times before I got him into the boat. Watermellon dodger with a firetiger broken back Rapala, 100 feet back.
Got off the water around 1 p.m.
Beautiful day, no Idiots where I was. Had most of the coves to myself.

1bigfish2
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
same story for me too. was camping there this past weekend , and only a couple of trout to show for it, was great weather, the combat fishing at the mudhole was the funniest thing i've seen, 30 people on one side and 30 people on the other side with about 40 ft of water between them and everybody casting toward eachother, so many tangles. talked to a couple of anglers who did catch a few fish trolling. super slow was the ticket, the pontoon boat that we rented would'nt go slow enough. [smiley=sad.gif]definitly will be taking my own boat next time.

The_Big_Sinus
02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I had my own catastrophe... Coming from Martinez, I didn't know about the new bypass on Hwy 4 and wound up in deepest Brentwood, then made a wrong turn and wound up in Disco Bay before I realized where I was... Had three chums and was "playing guide" to boot...

Anyway, rented a boat- brought my own fishfinder. My story- not a strike all day- trolling, drifting worms, nothing. Fortunately my buddies are cool folks and understand about these things (it helps that the very first fish I put one of them onin their whole life was a 6# squaretail 'bow up at Silver Lake).

I blame: the moon, the partly cloudy skies, no breeze and we all ate bananas before we got in the boat.

Lord knows there's fish in that lake. Yesterday just wasn't the day.

I did see one guy with limits. Everyone else seemed to be pretty slow.

BassJack
02-19-2008, 07:47 AM
2/18//2008 – Launched at Pardee Lake with Gina at 11:00 am. *We trolled up the river arm with dodgers. *Batteries for my electric trolling motor were completely dead when I got the motor in the water (???) so I had to use the big motor with drift socks out the back to slow me down. *After that slight annoyance, everything went smooth. *We started getting bites right off the bat. *All of the bites were on top lined rods out 150’ with silver Sep’s dodgers followed by a 14” leader with threaded mini-crawlers. *No hits on the rods with lures at all. *The dodgers were smeared with lots of Pro-Cure herring gel. *Most of the hits came when I trolled at about 1.5 mph while following the shoreline in about 50’ of water. *The bite shut off around 3:00 pm. *We ended up with five rainbow trout to 16” and lost three. *Not bad for a relaxing day on the water. *The weather was beautiful and the water was 52 degrees. *Off the water at 4:30 pm.

Gina with a tasty trout
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9446/ginapi4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Me letting out the lines
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6181/jacknc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

thethumb
02-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Your day sounds very similar to ours up till about three PM. WOW did things change then. Dead still winds and glass top water turned into a minnow jumping frenzy with little guys being chased everywhere you turned. We went from 4 LDR's and 2 fish in the boat (1 koke and an 18" bow) to double hookups and a chinese firedrill. A great day on the water all in all. (13 total fish for three old men)The key late day seemed to be lots of movement with success coming from top line slow trolling frog pattern F5 flatfish.

In general the kokes are really stacked up in the river. A little warmer water and they should start feeding (we hope). We were not able to find the key to their hunger however.