PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros trout

trout buster
02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
What a perfect week end for trout fishing at Los vaqueros!Me and my friends caught limits from 16 to 19 inches.All fish were caught on crawler-marshmellow combos.Also caught a few in the am using crawlers hung 3 feet below bobbers.All fish were caught by the rock wall on the south side.Can't wait to fire up the smoker.

Dustriver
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
That's good. We only caught 2 today over by the Oak Tree on the south side. We heard from the lady at the gate, that there is some action on the north side too.

ryanerb
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow, sounds like a great day fishing! Wish that lake wasn't 50+ miles from me. Pics would be fun next time :) Thanks for the info!

Dustriver
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
It was. *My girlfriend caught a 1 lber on green power eggs & I caught mine on a 1/4 silver kastmaster. *A guy named Charlie out there said he caught a 17 lb. rainbow at Quarry Lakes that is the Lake Record??? This guy is really good, I saw him catch a huge striper off the point on a swimbait in October. But today, like us he only bagged 2 rainbows.

GottabKevin
02-10-2008, 09:58 PM
hey thanks for the report guys. i better go up there this weekend. Are the leader lenghts the same because i use a 12in leader with crawlers and powerbait the last couple times with no luck. Whats the casting distance and im guessing mourning is still the best time to hit the trouts? Any tips would be fine i havent been to this lake in awile.

trout buster
02-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I like to vary my leader lengh from 3 to 6 feet long when fishing a bobber.When the water is flat calm sometimes a long leader is better.Also you should give it a little action.I like to jig it slowly.Some times the trout are looking but not feeding.Jig it at the right time will get them to strike.You should wait untill they take the bobber down completely then strike em.Many times guys miss because they strike too early.

ducman
02-11-2008, 09:36 AM
LV (BLEEP BLEEP) for me on saturday, fished the south cove from 7 till 1 there were 12 people to my right and about 10 to my left and i only saw a total of 4 fish caught including the 12 incher i caught, i tried multiple colors of powerbait, marshmallow with crawler on the bottom and using a float, scent and no scent,......... trout buster, where you on the rt. or lft. side of the rock wall, and how far from rock wall, i have fished about about 150 yards left of the rockwall a while back, i guess i will give it a try next time

Keep your lines wet
Rob

trout buster
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Try the left side ducman

GottabKevin
02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
has the pb been any good at this lak. because i havent had any luck with those.

ken_fishnfool
02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
I have found the fish to cruise in this lake!
Throw rainbow P.B. and if you don't get bit in a half hour or so move 50-100 yards further away!
I end up walking all the way to the oak trees ( a mile or so from the rockwall) sometimes...to find the fish!
It CAN pay off, as I have had to fight a few salmon that I got interested, along with the trout! ;D :P

Dustriver
02-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Too true. The trout horseshoe in schools over by the Rockwall to the point & back....

trout buster
02-13-2008, 04:22 AM
You guys are totally right .I read an article years ago in an old outdoor life magazine to not spend alot of time in one spot.The article suggested to keep moving every hour till you would find the fish.This advice has gotten me success more times than not.Every once in a while you may sit in a spot for a long time like south cove and then all of a sudden a school may show.I myself would rather keep moving.Better odds.Good luck to all.