PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle.... 2/10.

HeyNiceFish
02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Started early in the morning today. First time there in many years. Lots of people out on boats including myself and another friend. Water still murky after reading previous reports, so it was a sunny slow day for us. First and last fish caught around 11am out by the dam on a flasher and seps rainbow pattern lure. Overall, we had a good time and perfect weather. I'll be out there again next weekend. Off the water by 2pm. :D

HNF

untalan1
02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Heynicefish thanks for the report.I was there on Friday and caught three fish in four hours effort. The water was murky then,I called the marina this morning and the gal there said that the water clarity was just about the same.How many fish did you end up with? and any of size?I'm planning to go tommorow ,did any of the trollers do any good?

HeyNiceFish
02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
untalan1 - I just ended up with one. 1.5-2lbs. Many boats out, saw some on stringers but didn't talk to any of them and i tuned the vhf to ch. 69 and 19 for no response :( I used other lures for no takers. Maybe should have brought my DR. It was my first time there. Any advice would be great!

02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Wife, dog and me hit the lake about twelve today. First pass thru Heron and wife gets about 2 lb. She had picked this Rapala lure up about six months ago (Fire Tiger color) Said it was pretty. Now I have to admit that I've pulled this lure around since then for NOTHING. Second set with lure and she and she say's fish on, lucky for me it did'nt stick to long. Made our way over to the damm and again ldr. Then we just went around the lake for awhile. Wife finaly got one more fish about 3 lb. Me, I tried thowing the tackle box at it. Last pass thru Heron I got one that would'nt even come off the dr's (swing blade & crawler about 20 ft down.
What I'd really like to know, around the damm area / white bouy. Anybody know what are those fish are, down around fifty to seventy ft deep. Sure mark a lot on the screen. Anybody pulled some shad or chovies thru there.?
Anyway great day with sun and all. Water still real dirty.

pontoon_crew
02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
We had a slow day as well.Landed two in the usual spots in Heron Bay.Got one on a Criplure,and the other on the DR at 23ft on a needlefish.We also had 3 come undone after a short fight.Water is still too dirty.Largest went around 2.5

fulltroutjones
02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
first off congrats guys on the fishin.and the catchin!!.while i was jonesin hangin with my wifes family in sac my bro got out there today from 7 to 3..it was fun doin some mind fishin..he called me from the dam at 10 sayin they hadnt got a strike..we(fatherinlaw and I) decided to try to fish from the phone.."hey bro,throw a firetiger with plenty of scent on and call us if you get a fish"..5 minutes later he calls laughin,fish on for his buddy on the firetiger trout scent set up...he was to proud to listen to us...so i call him at 2 and he says his buddy has 3 and hes got zilch..so we tell him to troll the creek ,he calls us back to tell us he landed 8lber with a J7 silver black rapala at the creek. got to tell ya i was envious and happy!!i was actin like i caught the fish.me and my fatherinlaw were highfivin ,with the rest of the family clearly thinking we are true jackasses.and they are clearly right.he also commented to me abouth those fish at 70 ft by the dam..probably stripers right??

johnbfishin
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
The general consensus is that the fish we are marking 50-70' are stripers.....some are pretty darn big. :o It's hard to get them to bite though. I have caught a 12#er near the dam using a red wedding ring and a crawler but for the most part I think they are looking for those 12" planters.

I'm glad you guys got into some fish.

3.5, you didn't mention crawlers to your wife? ;) ;D

proudpapa
02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear some of you had luck out there. *Myself, my son and my father in law made it out for alittle trolling. *We couldn't get a single hit. *We tried every j7 and j5 rapala we had in our boxes even cripplures for a big fat zero. *We did spot a nice size osprey or bald eagle back near the dam hanging out over looking the chocolate lake. *
We seen maybe six fish on stringers included a nice eight pounder caught by a couple back at the dam. *They said it was caught to the right of the dam on bait. *All in all it was a great day on the water and the weather was perfect. *I say give this lake a week or two to settle and it should be caliente ;D

kokedealer
02-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice Job!

any of you guys ever try rollin' some bigger shad through those big marks?

I think I'm going to run a rod with an e chip shad harness behind a big dodger(dodger off the ball) next time I'm over there

you have me anxious, thanks for the report

HeyNiceFish
02-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Give it a shot kokedealer and let us know what you get.

johnbfishin
02-11-2008, 08:24 AM
any of you guys ever try rollin' some bigger shad through those big marks?

The guys I know that target the stripers usually anchor up at the north end of the narrows and use live minnows off the bottom.

When I was there Sat. I did hear someone on the radio reporting a 25" striper to his buddy but I have no idea where or how he was fishing.

kokedealer
02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
right on thanks,

I think it'd be a blast to tie into one of them on one of my koke rods-
very doable because dragging a shad off the DR requires no weight.

I figure we oughta try this because I heard some guys were tearing the stripers up at Hogan running the same tactics we use for landlocked kings. (this was in the summer time though)

I'll report back

HiTechTrout
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Wife, dog and me hit the lake about twelve today. First pass thru Heron and wife gets about 2 lb. She had picked this Rapala lure up about six months ago (Fire Tiger color) Said it was pretty. Now I have to admit that I've pulled this lure around since then for NOTHING. Second set with lure and she and she say's fish on, lucky for me it did'nt stick to long. Made our way over to the damm and again ldr. Then we just went around the lake for awhile. Wife finaly got one more fish about 3 lb. Me, I tried thowing the tackle box at it. Last pass thru Heron I got one that would'nt even come off the dr's (swing blade & crawler about 20 ft down.
What I'd really like to know, around the damm area / white bouy. Anybody know what are those fish are, down around fifty to seventy ft deep. Sure mark a lot on the screen. Anybody pulled some shad or chovies thru there.?
Anyway great day with sun and all. Water still real dirty.

Hey 3.5 - you were the only radio chatter I heard all day. I was the one who responded to you from the Blue / Gray Boulton. I saw you hooked up pretty soon after we talked. We ended up with 4 fish so we were happy given the brown water. 3 of them came on the BB Rapala series (Fire Tiger and Brook Trout). Make sure to let your wife keep using it as they do work and that color is usually a hot pattern. Good takling to you out there.

Kevin

02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey Hi'TechKoke, ya it was only a few min's afdter we spoke and she hit the first one. I tried to call you and my vhf went blank, Forgot to charge batteies on my handheld. Was watching you guys and saw a couple of your fish. Who were you sending out in the kyaak. (sure I spelled that wrong) Since my wife was only one catching I could'nt afford to get her outa the boat. Great day and will see you out there again.
As for JohnBfishin: I really tried using the crawlers. Still out fished.

HiTechTrout
02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Yep that was my wife and kids and their new toy, an inflatable kayak, they were testing it out. It was not a mutiny.... I repeat it was not a mutiny! ;)

ken_fishnfool
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Those might be Salmon cruising around that deep. They will be around 5-8 pounds this year!
We got a couple last year (4-6 pounds and GREAT fight) mooching for stripers!