PDA

View Full Version : Melones 2/2  Calm B4 the storm!!!!

kokemachine83
02-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Started out at the ramp with a Bass tournament, So I waited. Then heading down south towards Bear cove. Started right there. While putting out the lure. Little fish grabs the lure and lets go. Didn't see it. Then in Peoria cove hooked up with the first fish of the day. A little planter. Then a little bit further another. Now heading North down the western side towards the dam. Nothing!! Still heading North, by the spillway. Nothing!! Still heading North, in Black Bart. Nothing!! Across to Angels cove. Nothing!! Now heading South towards Glory Hole Point. See a big Bald Eagle. Still nothing. Get to the point and think maybe pick up and make a run over to Carson Cove. Nothing. Then as I'm heading out of Carson Cove going towards the 49 Bridge. Get a nice pull down. Get it in the boat. It's a Kokanee!! Now I have three fish. Head under the 49 Bridge to start trolling back towards the ramp. Hooked up again. Another nice Kokanee. That's two rainbows and two Kokes. Need one more! As I put the koke in the box, I notice that the other pole is out of the rigger. Fish on!! Fifth fish is another Rainbow. Score 3 rainbows and 2 Kokes. Not a bad day on the water.
Lures: Rapalas, Apex's, R-Lures
Speed: 1.5 - 2.3
Scents: Krill and Shad Gel
Depths: Surface to 15'
Weather: Very little wind and just a little rain.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Look how flat the water was...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/kokemachine/020208_Scenery1_Resize.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/kokemachine/020208_Scenery2_Resize.jpg

All in a day's work!
Fish 2 and 4 were kokanee (14", weighed 1 lb and 1 oz).
Fish 1,3, and 5 were rainbows...
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/kokemachine/020208_Fish_Resize.jpg

Mark_Damron
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Nice Robbie!!! It's lookin like Melones is going to have some nice kokanee this year by the size already ;D I'm trying to find the time to get the boat wet in next few weeks. Maybe Melones will be fishing a little bit better by then. Thanks for the reports for those of us stuck in dry dock. PHM

johnbfishin
02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice Job Robbie! And to think I was telling someone today that the kokes are a little small yet. ::)

stonesfan
02-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Well Robbie, one look at those TAILS and you can tell who's who.....

What a beautiful looking day, so there is something to that saying

after all. Man that water looked like GLASS..........................

Wish I could have been out there with you, now I can only wait till

next weekend and hope for the same, Great Job....................

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

LJ
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice looking fish, did you get the length and weight on that larger Koke?

Ironhead
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Robbie,

Nice looking brag stick for the first week in February. The kokes look real healthy for this time of year. Tis the season!

Ironhead

Chadzilla
02-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the nice report.... sounds like Melones is finally picking up!

TroutWagon
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
The koke machine is already in mid-season form!! good job robbie, see you next week.

Rich

Martinez Frank
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Nice report , hey it is koke season :D those are some good looking ones, thanks for the report

cptdarel
02-03-2008, 05:35 AM
thanks for the xlnt report, be on the water Monday, kokes look down right beautiful.

troutfan
02-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Great report and pics KM83. I love the format you use, it makes it very informative and easy to read. Good job on the mixed bag. 8-)

kokemachine83
02-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes, the kokes were in great shape!!! Just think, if we are catching 14" kokes now just think what there going to look like by July/Aug. One of them was 1.1 lbs and the other was 1 lbs. Would of been great size at Pardee??

Trout were just some planters but still fun to catch!! Been trying different speeds this time. You all know that i usually don't troll that fast. But it worked. The Apex's have been my best over all lure at Melones. From the package, i change the leader to 8#. Think that heavy package leader is to much!! Until next time!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

clamkin
02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Robbie, great report, nice fish and appreciate the tip on the Apex. We're heading for Melones next week for the derby.

Mickey_Thomas
02-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Nice report and pic's as usual KM83, I see you broke your string of Browns you've been catching lately :D I hope to get back out there this week again, I'll be starting in the mouth of Carson Cove :)

kokemachine83
02-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Clamkin: We will be there for the derby!! Was just out trying to find some of the bigger fish. That didn't happen. Oh well. Good luck next weekend and hope to see you there!!

Mickey T.: Yeah, i know i broke my string. It's all good. Really when i caught those last two up there, was searching for rainbows. I really don't target them. Just got lucky the last few times. I did hear of a 5 pounder caught somewhere around the 49 bridge yesterday. (Sat. 2-2). Plainer board / Shad a long the rocks. Robbie

Mickey_Thomas
02-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I did hear of a 5 pounder caught somewhere around the 49 bridge yesterday. (Sat. 2-2). Plainer board / Shad a long the rocks. Robbie I guess I'll have to borrow Dave's painter poles next time ;)

kokoloco
02-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Outstanding Robbie. You da man!! Looks like NM is finally giving up some fish. I thought I'd see you at Pardee's opener. The crowds weren't there but the fish sure were. Not super plentiful but nice sized. Great report and photos.

Sam

fishon18
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Robbie,

Good job on those fish, especially with those Kokanee! You covered lots of water, but with conditions like that, why not. Good luck at the Derby. Take care...

Scott

Slim
02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Ya know, Melones is one of my home waters and I haven't caught a Koke yet. I guess I need some pros like you to show me how to do it.... ;)

Sounds like a nice day... Way to go..

Thanks for the report !!!

Slim

camotracker
02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
right on robbie. nice to hear you guy's did good before the storm hit. nice looking kokes for this time. congrats.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

kokemachine83
02-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Slim: wasn't trying to catch kokes, it just happen. Was using Apex's in Gold when i caught those two. Around the 49 Bridge. Good luck!!!

Fishon18: Hey Scott, I really did cover a lot of ground, in search of some bigger rainbows. But that didn't happen. I will try again next weekend for the derby. Me and my son in law will give it a "Koke Machine" try!! You just never know what might happen!! Hope to see you and Greg soon!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

kokedealer
02-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Way to go kokemachine, great report too