PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day @ Melones

Fish_Bully
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I fished Melones from daybreak until noon-thirty. I top lined a Shad Rap on one side and switched between Countdown Rapala, Apex and my standby sling blade/cop car neddlefish on the other side set at 12'. The top lining results so far this winter have paled in comparison to the DR setups...until today. I had three fish on the top lined Shad Rap until I caught a single fish on the DR. My first fish off a DR was only after I raised it to 5'.

I'm stuck in a rut at Melones this winter. Yea, I never get skinked and catch my share of 15" trout (all beautiful, full tailed, good eating trout) but I have yet to land a lunker. Oh well, mamma told me....

Good seeing Robbie (kokemachine) again. I always got my eye out for Slim, torguga, froggie and other regulars but there were mainly a ton off bass anglers today. Great calm water morning to be out there.

Tight lines,

Flip

Brettskih
02-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Good report Flip. nice to hear from you.Youll get that lunker!I'll be up there this weekend.Fri/Sat Brett

Ironhead
02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Good report Flip. Your time will come if you stay on the water. By the looks of the water, it was beautiful up there also.

Ironhead

Chadzilla
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Congrats on a fairly good day out there before this this ever-too-familiar white substance that has had my boat buried for 2 weeks started falling again. Hopefully I'll be able to dig out before the weekend and hit Melones Saturday morning.

steveo79
02-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Glad you had some decent weather for a while, saw your post in the hitchiker section; did you go solo? I drove over Parrotts Ferry Bridge about 10:30, then again an hour later. Man, not used to seeing so many glitter boats in one spot. Saw one boat power away from one point on the Calaveras side of the bridge (under full throttle, mush to the dismay off the guy he passed on the Tuolumne side) only to have another boat pull into the exact same spot seconds later. Do the throttles on those boats use just an on/off switch? never see one just putting along.... :)

kokemachine83
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey Flip, Was good to see you out there in that awesome looking boat. Hope it gives you 15 or so years like it did for me!! You sure did a great job on that pimped out chick magnet!! It won't be long and you will catch that huge trout!! Good luck and stay in touch!! I owe you a koke trip!!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Flycanoe
02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Way to go and nice report. Too bad I didn't see your open seat invite, I would have taken you up on it. I was planning to go to Melones Saturday also, but my son had to cancel at the last minute. Didn't want to go it alone in a canoe with a storm coming in, so decided to fish for steelhead on the lower american. No luck there either. Maybe another time. *

oldfisherman
02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Nice. I will be trying to learn a bit about trolling for trout soon. My bass boat is not suited but I just picked up a 12 ft gregor with a small outboard. I will have to do some learning but I do plan some trolling.

Slim
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Well it's good we didn't connect. With all this snow, I've been a shoveling fool at the house.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/SNOW2b.jpg

Shoveled 7 hrs today, wanted to pull out the poontoon and head out there today but after I was finished with shoveling it was bowl time. ;)

Glad you got into some at least! 8-)

Slim

Slim
02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Way to go and nice report. Too bad I didn't see your open seat invite, I would have taken you up on it. I was planning to go to Melones Saturday also, but my son had to cancel at the last minute. Didn't want to go it alone in a canoe with a storm coming in, so decided to fish for steelhead on the lower american. No luck there either. Maybe another time. *

Hey Flycanoe
I have yet to catch anything with the wigglefin... Maybe I could join you again sometime and you could show me how to do it. ;)

Slim

Fish_Bully
02-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Hey, thanks for all the replies. The only thing that would have made my day better would have been some company in the boat. My bass fishing son don't care much for the trolling thing so I have had some open seats this winter.

Flycanoe and Slim - It would have been a great day to have the kayaks/canoes out there with the glass water.

Brett - Let us know how you do. I may see you Fri/Sat.

oldfisherman - You need to learn how to troll for trout??? Aren't you related to Randy? What better teacher can you get? He has certainly been a huge help for me. He's got the big browns on the wall to prove it.

If the weather is nasty I'll hit Melones again this coming weekend. If not, I'll be heading back up north. Thanks again.

Tight lines,

Flip