View Full Version : Sacramento Urban Trout Opportunities

żżż
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Anyone ever fish the following ponds?

Gibson Ranch
Granite Park
Hagan Park
Mather Lake

These (and some others) get DFG plants. Any good?

LordRooster
01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I've fished Hagen and Mather.

Hagen is a swimming pool sized shallow disgustingly dirty cement pond. the trout they plant there are the smallest planters I've seen and it is defiantly a put and take pool. It can be fun with kids in the summer when they do catfish plants. I've never gone there for cats and been skunked. Kids have caught little baby cats up to a 6lb my son pulled out of there. I do not recommend this place unless they are planting cats and you have small kids to take that just need to catch a fish. Use night crawlers and frozen shrimp.

Mather is decent year round. it's nice size and lot of nicer admenaties for BBQ picnic etc. The best fishing is spring through fall for bass, especially if you have a canoe or something to get you back by the reeds. There's lots of weeds so make sure you fish weedless. I've targeted trout there a few times and have done ok floating powerbait off the bottom. There's lots of weeds there so you'll want to use a leader of 24 to 36 inches. Powerbait with glitter in it works best. I've also caught both cats and bass off of a night crawler under a bobber. I spoke with an old man last fall that said there was carp in there as well but I've never seen it. There's lots of small bluegill along the levey that can be pulled out with a small hook and pieces of worm.

rpwlaw11
01-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Hagan is your best bet. My son fishes it often. They just stocked it also.

LordRooster
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Hagan is your best bet. My son fishes it often. They just stocked it also.

They stock it once a week January through Febuary, part of the fishing in the city program.

garrett_s
01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
howe pond has been good. i fished it yesterday and caught 4

n2trout
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
howe pond has been good. i fished it yesterday and caught 4
Bait or lures at Howe Guppy ?

garrett_s
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
powerbait under a bobber ;)

FishFiend916
01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Howe pond is like a swimming pool also, its really small with a couple fountains in the middle and one side is closed-off for wildlife and the fishable side is encrusted with Goose s**t. I fished it once for trout and once for the catfish they also plant, and caught one trout w/ powerbait and didnt even get a nibble on the catfishing. I wouldnt even recommend taking a child there...its worthless

Mather however can be good catfishing using chicken livers to the left of the BBQ areas, I fished it for trout a few times and got skunked everytime, even though one time they stocked while I was fishing, still didnt get a nibble!

żżż
01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Sounds like a lot of these place aren't any better to go to than Land Park, which would be the one I know about and have gone to. *I know they've planted there recently for the free clinic they sponsor annually.

Like Howe, it's got its share of guano on one end, and a couple of fountains in the middle. *I pulled a couple of 2 LB cats outta there with my kids - they loved it.

Tryin' to find a place to work the woolly bugger without having to drive far... ::)

Thanks for the opinions all. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

garrett_s
01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Howe pond is like a swimming pool also, its really small with a couple fountains in the middle and one side is closed-off for wildlife and the fishable side is encrusted with Goose s**t. I fished it once for trout and once for the catfish they also plant, and caught one trout w/ powerbait and didnt even get a nibble on the catfishing. I wouldnt even recommend taking a child there...its worthless

i dont know yesterday when i went i did see every body hook up at least once and there were some nice stringers. but it does have a lot of gooses crap. hey mooch wooly buggers should work fine at howe

n2trout
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I have caught trout at Howe and it is extremely small and artificially colored. [smiley=chowtime.gif] ::)
I used to slam trout and catfish at Arden Ponds but now it''s so overgrown, I don't have much luck. :(
Only tried Gibson Ranch once with nothing but a skunk to show for my efforts. [smiley=suesscat.gif]

pinoy
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Don't forget Elk Grove Park. I think they had a fishing in the city clinic there this past weekend so they must have stocked it.

żżż
01-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Yes. I drive by the Strauss Island entrance several times a week! Too bad every time I'm out there, I'm too busy to fish. I'll just have to start carrying my gear with me in the car...

Last year some guy pulled out a 20+lb. carp!!! :o :o :o

Don't forget Elk Grove Park. I think they had a fishing in the city clinic there this past weekend so they must have stocked it.

SSTiddy
01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Went to Gibson Ranch today. Was the only one there, and didn't get a bite :-[. Granted this was my first time there and I only spent a couple of hours. But with no bites and having counted no less than 19 cormorants in the tree right above the 1st two docks. I figured that the birds had done a pretty good job on the little stockers they put in this pond. Still, I plan to try it again before I give up on it.

FishinRaiders
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
good job Guppy..

Nice fish..

Kickin_Bass
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
My cousin caught a Koi out of Gibson years and years ago, I remember thinking...wtf put this goldfish in here? ;D