i like trolling with flies
thanks for the input

Captain Compassion
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey sniffers
i would like to add some lures in my fishing box
i like trolling with flies
thanks for the input

For flies a dark Woolly Bugger or Woolly Worm. For casting on a lake it would be a gold Kastmaster. For rivers or creeks it would be a Panther Martin. For trolling a lake it would be a Flatfish or Needlefish.

CC

TS5655
01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
For trolling flies, you can't beat Jay Fair Flies.

TS

robonthefly
01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
As much as I would like to anwer the question correctly, it is nearly impossible. Not quite the answer you wanted I am sure. Sorry. I learned after a long time that almost anything will work if you put it in the right spot, in the trouts nose. However you will need to have confidence more than anything else in what U pick. The reason, so you keep it in the water fishing it. How ever, read a bit. I learned, that on a low light or visibilty situation, then a bright fly is better. Ex. .. if the water has two feet of visibilty and the sun is hidden, perhaps a bright purple, orange or red Wooly bugger with a brass conehead. If you like trolling flies, then try a Hoochie, they come in various colors, have a tube inside to load with scnts, I like liquid krill, or Pro cure carp spit for
trout. I have to say no matter what you choose, you must believe in it.
I saw a guy fish for hours nearby seing me hook up asking what I used. I had a silver hilton, he tried a silver hilton. No luck. I asked him, " What is your favorite fly ? he said, "A marbou , but I read that Golden stone were the ticket so I did not even try since it was for steelhead". I then said that the marabou was perfect here. He casted it up stream, guess what, in five minutes he went hollering for us to help him with a net he had a steelie. This proves it confience is EVERYTHING. ;) ROB

Jeff213
01-23-2008, 11:20 PM
My favorite flies are black and brown Woolly Buggers. My favorite casting lure for streams are crappie jigs tied like woolly buggers (see a theme here?) I also like KastMasters for casting in lakes and I have had good luck in the past with 1/8 ounce black rooster tails and size 0 silver rapala countdowns.

metalmouth
01-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Leeches are my favorite followed by Prince Nymphs and Scuds. ;)

LJ
01-24-2008, 03:08 AM
For casting in streams and rivers I like Rooster tails, for trolling my favorites are Uncle Larry's Glow pinky, and Uncle Larry's Pro Special Green.

SlamminAmador
01-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Streams: white/brown roostertails are a must
lakes: kastmasters, color depending on sky, mepps, pms
trolling: whatever is working at the time, if you can, ask around, read paper, or ask at sports shop

good luck, marty

SuperDave
01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
One of the reasons I have obtained so much tackle is because "what works best" changes from year to year. I had a 2 year run where a #2 Perch needlefish was red hot. A year later, something else caught fire. Grubs, I guess, are one of the constants that have produced year after year. This year, I'm becoming a Lyman addict.

The_Big_Sinus
01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
In general terms, I would say that my favorite trolling lures are plugs... They are easy to handle and change (tie a straight snap on 3' of leader in front of a quality ball-bearing swivel) and they don't spin if you troll them at the right speed. Floaters, especially, are nice because if I have to stop the boat they do not sink and snag. I find spoons are generally a little trickier to deal with due their tendency to spin and sink.

In terms of specifics- you can't really go wrong with picking up an assortment Rapalas in different sizes in gold/black, silver/black and rainbow trout color. I would direct anyone to start there if they are building a plug collection. However, I will say that when I go to Paulina, I use some very pricey Japanese bass plugs (thru Cabela's- $18-$35 each) and they work, and I catch trout in the 5#-15# range... From shore.

It just depends on what you want to do. When I am castng from the bank, I generally work an area over and move on if I don't get hits. Depending on the depth and conditions, I'll start with some smallish plugs, switch to some smallish (1/4 oz.) spoons. If I am getting hits deep at an area with a drop off on the spoons (you can count them down and cast them far), then I may switch up to a siinking plug (Countdown Rapala) or a jig (I always carry 1/8 oz black and white marabou with me- you just never know).

The biggest trick is finding the fish though... You typically don't need precise representations of what they are eating, but you need to suggest it somehow. There is no universal "catch 'em every time" lure, although spoons roughly suggest a wide variety of baitfish and will trigger stikes from fish on the feed pretty consistently.

Good luck, and try not to break the bank.

cgagex3
01-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Depends on the lake but as a general rule.
Black/Olive Wooly Bugger
Gold Kastmaster
At Caples I kill them every time with an old acme thunderbolt gold on one side green with red spots on the other. I can't throw it for more than 10 minutes without catching something.
At Red it is a gold little cleo that hooks up the brookies.
I even have a bright neon pink tasmanian devil that they love at Pardee.

But if could only have one lure in my box it would have to be a the gold kastmaster.

CG

duckhuntwater-guy
01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Dave,

Don't forget the broken back "REDDOG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DHWG

JPFX
01-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Without a doubt, rain or shine, 4 am or noon, year after year, for kokonee, rainbows, and kings in the lakes, it has to be the Jenson Needlefish in the bright orange.

jiggity49
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
white or white/red crappie jigs 1/32 to 1/64 oz. ;) with or without a bobber whatever the situation calls for

Denny1969
01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I fly fish about 99% of the time. My favorite fly is a soft hackle wet fly.

When I used to fish with a spinning rig more often, my favorite artificial was a Rooster Tail spinner.

Denny

billfisher
01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
IMO, robonthefly said a mouth full! Your best lure is the one you like the best, have the most confidence in and fish the hardest. All of the flies and lures mentioned can become that "best lure". You need to adjust your choices based upon the kind of fish you are targetting (kokanee and lake trout are at a different place on the food chain), but if you already "like trolling flies" then that is your best lure for the kind of fish you are after. You can adjust color and depth to meet conditions, but stick with what you trust and you will probably do as well overall as anyone else. Likewise, if you believe that grubs are the only way to go and you fish them hard in the zone where the fish are hanging your results will often meet your expectations and reinforce your original opinion even though the guy using trolling flies or needlefish in the same places might be doing just as well. We all fill our boxes with everything we hear is "really working", but over time you will first go to your own favorite stuff and then start trying everything else only when the favorites aren't working. So you should have some of all of the favorites others have listed in their posts plus anything else that looks good to you while browsing the aisles at the tackle shop. Have fun adding to your collection.

wolfden
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
My favorites are in lakes a Kastmaster and in streams a black & gold Panter Martin

Martinez Frank
01-24-2008, 12:01 PM
*This year, I'm becoming a Lyman addict.

See what happens when you hang around Mickey Dave ? ;D

Captain Compassion
01-24-2008, 12:12 PM
My favorites are in lakes a Kastmaster and in streams a black & gold Panter Martin

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CC

Trout_Tamer
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Here is a nice assortment for the big boys...

http://friskyjennyflies.com/Order_Page.html

CHICKFISHING58
01-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I like using the purple and black stingking ;)

fishing_freak
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
bleeding shad needlefish or cop car needlefish size 3

Slapabow
01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
worms ;D for cpt darel

Fish_Bully
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Spoons, Z-Rays, Kastmasters, Panther Martins, cop car and orange/chrome Needlefish, Apex, Shad Raps, Countdown Rapalla, Father Murphy's and of course flies....... all have their own application for me.

I have refrained from using Rooster Tails ever again. Oh I have caught many fish on them and they are very effective but they tend to get jillflirted on me way too often (the trebble hook will get caught on either the snap swivel of the lure eye). This pissed me off one too many times! When you bust your butt to get into a remote stream, exercising stealthly measures not to scare the extremely spooky fish, waiting and waiting for that perfect time to cast only to have the lure get jillflirted? All this causes is one big disturbance and you may as well move on to another hole.

Flip

Athlete24
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CC

Amen!

billfisher
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Flip - I've always thought of a Jill-flirt as kind of a good thing, depending on the Jill. :)

Captain Compassion
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM

CC

Amen!

What can I say. I caught over 260 trout last year and over 90% were caught on either a 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster or a black and gold PM.

CC

cgagex3
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Have to agree CC and if you had to choose only one lure to carry with you? hmmmmmm let me think, would that be a gold KM. That would be my vote hands down. Some of our lakes have that special lure that works only there but that gold kastmaster just seems to work everywhere I go.
;D

CG

cynnate
01-24-2008, 04:55 PM
My top 3:

#1 1/8 oz.Silver/Blue Kastmaster
#2 Rainbow patterned jointed Rebel (sm)
#3 Black w/yellow spot Panther Martin (no red tail)

Nathan

-king_fisher-
01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
ill list them..somehow

patience first.
trolling: never really had a boat
lakes: silver and gold kastmasters, small jointed rapalas, and a spinner with a split shot. i always wait for the ripples to disappear to start reeling
streams: anything gold, but i mostly use homemade spinners and panther martins.

The_Big_Sinus
01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Spinners in streams... It depends a little on how deep they are... If you are trying to fish something the same size as a 1/4 oz. PM and don't want the depth, try a Vibrax (I have caught many, many fish on both) or Mepps- they don't sink as fast or run as deep.

I try to carry two different profiles in a single size featuring silver, gold and red (occasionally I'll bring an "oddball" along just to see- for anything with feathers its black, white and brown) in any kind of lure.

For spoons in lakes, I'll pack gold, silver and black spots/pink stripe Kastmasters AND I'll take hammered gold, hammered silver and red/white Dardevles in a given size (99% of the time that's 1/4 oz.). Takes up six little spaces and provides enough variety to work 'em. I've noticed that on really bright days, for example, the hammered brass Dardevle is does not flash quite as bright, and gets more hits quite frequently.

Best thing to have is an assortment of stuff that is "the basics" you can bring to any new lake, and then an assortment of stuff you know works at lakes you've been to already. Same goes for streams, but less so in a lot of cases. Stream fish are usually (not always, but usually) less picky.

I went to the catch & release section of Hat Creek once (barbless single hooks only) and had a ball catching fish in the 16"-18" range using 1/8 oz. black marabou jigs, and #2 silver Vibrax... I was surrounded by fly fishermen catching zilch with their imitations of what was presumably native food.

You just never know.

feelinminnesota
01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
i used to throw a tiny panther martin silver blade, yellow body with red spots.
i have caught most of my fish lately on either a trout paterned 2 1/4" rapala or a pink 1/16 oz. rooster tail. if i need to switch up(too many follows without a hookup), i'll go the the black PM gold blade

wmgraphics
01-25-2008, 06:27 PM
OK..

Trolling- Orange needlefish w/worm or olive/brown bugger
Casting-
streams and ponds- Olive/brown bugger, stilwater nymph or brown/gold blade rooster
lakes- gold or silver kastmasters
rivers- powerworms or buggers

FISHRITE
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Sniffer.....
Just curious have any of you used a wiggle fin are they worth getting
also
do any of you use A plastic safety cap on your terrible hooks on your lures like a rapala's etc

thanks for the input

trout buster
01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
The gold kastmaster is a good one .I've also had great luck with the blue and siver-3/8 oz.

Captain Compassion
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
The gold kastmaster is a good one .I've also had great luck with the blue and siver-3/8 oz.

A 1/2 oz Kastmaster in frog is dynamite at Pyramid.

CC

Old_School
01-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I have some (clear). I like the concept, and have had action with them with grubs at Amador. I just haven't used them enough to decide if I REALLY like them. There pretty cheap. Get some and try them. One thing is when you're trolling real slow with no weight it gives you the drag to let your line out quickly and easily.

realdeal
01-27-2008, 11:26 PM
In rivers I do well with gold or silver kastmasters, In lakes I use Panter Martins, either the ones with the black blades and yellow dots or the yellow ones with red dots. Works even better if tipped with a little piece of worm.

realdeal
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I hate those safety caps! Once or twice I have forgotten to take them off and couldnt figure out why nothing was biting:-[

GCinGV
01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
For a trolling fly you might try Bingo Bugs if you can still find them. Itís a winged fly with a small bill and has a great little side to side wobble action. Havenít used them in a long time or know if they are still available but use to do pretty well with them top lining.

I tend to go way overkill when it comes to lures and carry all kinds of stuff but these are the ones I actually use most of the time.
Trolling: Rapalas, Crip Lures, Needle Fish and Jakeís Spin-a-lure.
Jigging: Buzz Bombs, Hopkins and Jensen Nordics.
Streams and lakes from shore:
Spinners: Panther Martin, Blue Fox, Rooster tail, Mepps Black Fury and Mepps Anglia.
Spoons: Kast Master, Krocodile, Super Duper and large Needle Fish or Speedy Shiners.
Plugs: Shad Rap, Fat Rap, count down and floating Rapalas.
Flies: Deer Hair Mouse, Buggers and other streamers a good * *assortment of Nymphs beaded and non-beaded.
The reason I use so many different metal lures for streams is what Big Sinus said about controlling your running depth with the style of lure. Most of my metal lures are ľ oz with a few heavier spinners and some lighter spoons to give a little more depth range to each as well.
GC

billfisher
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
I have had very good success using wiggle fins and other wobblers in front of wiggle tail trolling flies for trout in many California lakes. Especially good results in Medicine Lake, Eagle Lake, Silver Lake (Lassen County), Crater Lake ((California), Davis, Frenchmans and Indian Creek. Its a very good setup pretty much every place I go. I usually start out with at least half of the lines that are out set up this way. Try it, you'll like it! ;)

Troutski
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
My favorite all time lure, is the Superduper Brass with a red tip....it is like a VISA I don't leave home without at least one. Second place goes to the Silver Superduper with a red tip. Good luck and tight lines.

Chuck

billfisher
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
My favorite all time lure, is the Superduper Brass with a red tip....it is like a VISA I don't leave home without at least one. *Second place goes to the Silver Superduper with a red tip.
Chuck

Both classics, and hard to beat for fishing small rivers and streams. Just let the current do the work, and WHAM!

Captain Compassion
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
My favorite all time lure, is the Superduper Brass with a red tip....it is like a VISA I don't leave home without at least one. *Second place goes to the Silver Superduper with a red tip. *Good luck and tight lines.

The Superduper was the first trout lure I ever used over 50 years ago and I sill use them from time to time.

CC

glasbar
01-28-2008, 04:35 PM
trolling flies with a action disc.

Fish_R_Us
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM
The Super Duper lure has been a real good lure for me. I heard a story on how that lure evolved, but don't know about it's validity.

Apparently some gentleman was casting spoons in a river and dropped a silver tie clasp into the water. He watched as it fluttered and sank into the depths and then got inhaled by a large trout. Apparently the guy was able to duplicate the action using a single piece of thin metal that was bent into a long "U" shape with uneven lengths. Don't know how the tie clasp made it to the river, but perhaps the guy was thinkling it could possibly be used as some sort of a modified spoon.

I was also told that the Super Duper was once the lure chosen as part of a survival kit along with a small spool of mono line, hooks and some lead sinkers. Validity? Also unknown.

As a kid, I also used a small gold lure called a Hildebrand Flicker Spinner. It was a single small smooth teardrop shaped spinner blade with a gold snap ring that joined a small #12 gold salmon egg hook. The snap ring also had a smaller mini-blade that was about 1/4" in length. The action was rather unique and the panfish sized rainbows went crazy for it. I originally found it in one of my dad's fishing creels so it was older than myself. I was using a small spincast kiddie reel w/ 6 lb. line. My dad couldn't remember where he got it. It was the only lure of it's kind and I snagged it in a deep hole so it's legacy ended up at the N. Fork of the Feather River, just downstream of Caribou.

cptdarel
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
worms ;D for cpt darel
WHAT!!! [smiley=nerves.gif]

apex, #70 hot shots, wee-tads, rapalas. and the list goes on.

Troutski
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
A friend of mine goes to garage sales and picks up the odd old silver and gold spoons, one here and one there. He then cuts the handle off the spoon and hammers it into a large Spoon (like a Cleo) and then bends the handle into a bent U shape (SuperDuper) and with the help from a hand grinder;drills some holes adds a couple split rings and he's fishing. Not only is he recycling but the metal he is using is sterling silver and gold plate, the two best metals for light refraction. Funny how some lures are developed, and millions are made.

Chuck

lunchbox5150
01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
i always fair really well with a repella j7 the silver and black rig and then can never go wrong with a blue and silver kastmaster as well as panther martin's color of your choice

Mr_Ed
01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't know if it is the best.........but it will catch almost any type of fish
in fresh or salt water.

the ..... Jig.