PDA

View Full Version : Hagan Pond

StraightBallin
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Curious as to what these urban fisheries had to offer, I took a drive down there this past weekend with a buddy of mine simply to check out the scene and left the rods at home. What can I say....this is just about as bad as nimbus if not worse! No one had a license, etiquette didn't exist, and english was foreign to the majority of the crowd who all had their bobbers w/ powerbait inches from one anothers! What gives? Why does the DFG waste money by planting these urban ponds?

keviwa
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey, dont complain dude. It keeps them from snagging on the American!

StraightBallin
01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Afraid not, they are still there. Getting back to the original question now....

żżż
01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
IMO, these urban ponds aren't for the 'serious' angler. Rather they are an easy way to get people exposed to the sport of fishing - specifically kids. Also not everyone has the (access)ability to get to better fishing grounds. It serves a niche, and by no means is a substitute for going to a 'real' fishing hole.

If a kid catches a planter and gets excited about the sport and becomes an avid angler, I think they've accomplished the task... :)

My two cents.

209_FISHER
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
IMO, these urban ponds aren't for the 'serious' angler. *Rather they are an easy way to get people exposed to the sport of fishing - specifically kids. *Also not everyone has the (access)ability to get to better fishing grounds. *It serves a niche, and by no means is a substitute for going to a 'real' fishing hole.

If a kid catches a planter and gets excited about the sport and becomes an avid angler, I think they've accomplished the task... :)

My two cents.

Nailed it ;)

StraightBallin
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I have now come to the realization that I have a nice reputation for myself on here....no matter what I say or how I say it you pole smokers come back with something, anything, to disagree.

_Gone_Fishin_
01-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I have now come to the realization that I have a nice reputation for myself on here....no matter what I say or how I say it you pole smokers come back with something, anything, to disagree.

Nailed it! * ;D *;D *;D j/k

LordRooster
01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

If you post up with an opinion don't get upset when others offer theirs.

Per the DFG website the urban fisheries are for kids that don't have any other opportunity to experience fishing. I take my kids to them from time to time just to get them refired up because we can always catch something; even though the planters are often small the kids get way excited.

I don't think they are in any way for the serious angler. you would never see my dad and I there on a serious fishing trip. Yes Hagen is full of non-english speakers, but again it's a put and take lake, and I know of the gentlemen you are talking about. They have licenses and are there for the purpose of catching a meal, taking the fish home is what the DFG expects will happen to these fish.

Do I think they should save it for the kids? Of course, however it is open to any licensed fisherman and they have the same right you and I do to be there.

phengly
01-29-2008, 09:19 PM
DFG's fishing in the city program is designed for 1. KIDS and 2. people who are disabled and/ or people who would otherwise not be able to fish due to various reasons. This is not the place to go for any serious fishing man or woman. None of these city ponds and puddles (yes I litterally mean puddle for some of these places) would ever be able to support any trout habitat and they are planted with the sole intent of being caught and eaten (not C&R).

I think this is probably the best program DFG has ever implemented to introduce fishing to kids and the general public. Once I saw a two year old catch a 2 pounder out at Elk Grove Park and he was yelping, smiling, laughing and jumping as if it was the happiest day of that his life. That's what its all about!

LordRooster
01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I think this is probably the best program DFG has ever implemented to introduce fishing to kids and the general public. Once I saw a two year old catch a 2 pounder out at Elk Grove Park and he was yelping, smiling, laughing and jumping as if it was the happiest day of that his life. That's what its all about!

Nailed it.

wmgraphics
01-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Ballin'... I feel your pain. I use to live next to one of these ponds off Howe... what a freakin joke. Sure you get the families with the kids and their snoopy poles... that is great to see the smiling faces. Then again you get 4 times as many of these other guys with no licenses, catching over limits, littering and spraying there bait with wd40. I have seen it and YES I usually say something.. they pretended not to speak english or tell me to f*$& off. Nothing bothers me more than a fisher-person with no license aka "poacher" in my book. Especially this poacher who litters every time they go out fishing... empty worm containers, plastic lure wrapping and mcD's bags everywhere.
Imagine this... F+G gets together and goes out to all of these ponds in force with pens in hand. They could clean up the sport in the city and set a great example to future anglers and get a lot of money and gear from these poachers in a hurry and put it all back into our fisheries and kid programs.
Fish and Game are you hearing me :-????? I am getting really tired of these people destroying our sport!

StraightBallin
01-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Ballin'... I feel your pain. I use to live next to one of these ponds off Howe... what a freakin joke. Sure you get the families with the kids and their snoopy poles... that is great to see the smiling faces. Then again you get 4 times as many of these other guys with no licenses, catching over limits, littering and spraying there bait with wd40. I have seen it and YES I usually say something.. they pretended not to speak english or tell me to f*$& off. Nothing bothers me more than a fisher-person with no license aka "poacher" in my book. Especially this poacher who litters every time they go out fishing... empty worm containers, plastic lure wrapping and mcD's bags everywhere. *
Imagine this... F+G gets together and goes out to all of these ponds in force with pens in hand. They could clean up the sport in the city and set a great example to future anglers and get a lot of money and gear from these poachers in a hurry and put it all back into our fisheries and kid programs.
Fish and Game are you hearing me *:-????? I am getting really tired of these people destroying our sport!
Someone with some sense on this site! I love it! You, shooter, are among the 3% on this forum that doesn't suck at life! Congrats bro and thank you for having some common sense!

StraightBallin
01-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Alright alright, I get it, I understand the whole "opinion" thing and the "as per dfg website" with the intent to expose kids to fishing. Believe me, I am all about the kids. I want to see them catch more fish then they know what to do with and become the next Bill Dance for crying out loud!!! But you know what I am talking about right.....

Edited for content.....

Granted, DFG does put the trout in there with the sole purpose of them being taken out of there, but Loaves and Fishes is just off of the 160....give me a break. Looking forward to hearing your "opinions"!!!!

Just my two cents. ;)

RonM
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
If you guys want to express your opinion you will need to do it without labeling any ethnic group or race. Just because you see a few doesn't mean all are doing the same. If this continues this thread will be locked or it will be gone.

StraightBallin
01-30-2008, 10:28 AM
It isn't nice to threaten people Ron.

RonM
01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
It isn't nice to threaten people Ron.

It's not a threat, take it for what you want. Leave the labeling of groups out of it and you will be okay.

fishunter
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
The planting of these puddles/ponds are designed for kids, elderly, and rookie fisherman, and I am all for it. StraightBallin, I don't go there myself for the same reasons you stated. If it bothers you THAT much then why don't you just stay away too, instead of whining about it? Leave that to the park rangers and DFG. Oh, and Ron did not threaten you, he is simply doing his job as moderator, and probably should remove this thread and all the rediculous remarks that you made. I'm sure the other 97% of people on this site would agree.

fishnallday35
01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
StraightBallin

I totally agree with you........why do people get labled because they keep doing the same thing over and over and we all pay for it and they get labled. Just because you don't speak english does not give you the right to abuse the system.

cawingshooter your right on the money also....!

You guys are welcome on my boat and I would fish with you guys anytime !

StraightBallin
01-30-2008, 11:30 AM
StraightBallin

I totally agree with you........why do people get labled because they keep doing the same thing over and over and we all pay for it and they get labled. *Just because you don't speak english does not give you the right to abuse the system.

cawingshooter your right on the money also....!

You guys are welcome on my boat and I would fish with you guys anytime !
Amen! The good ol' boys are starting to speak out....I have been dying to talk to some real fisherman! Thanks for backing me up and not conforming to please others!

StraightBallin
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
The planting of these puddles/ponds are designed for kids, elderly, and rookie fisherman, and I am all for it. StraightBallin, I don't go there myself for the same reasons you stated. If it bothers you THAT much then why don't you just stay away too, instead of whining *about it? Leave that to the park rangers and DFG. Oh, and Ron did not threaten you, he is simply doing his job as moderator, and probably should *remove this thread and all the rediculous remarks that you made. I'm sure the other 97% of people on this site would agree.
I think you meant "ridiculous" :o