PDA

View Full Version : Marshmallow Crawler rig

Jeff213
01-27-2008, 03:31 PM
I have never fished with this rig before. I usually use lures on 1 rod and power bait on another when I'm fishing for food or lures / flies only when I'm fishing c&r. I read about this rig and I've heard friends talk about it before.

My question is do you guys just use normal mini marshmallows to float the rig? Also, what size of hook and what type do you use. And what length of leader?

Thanks!

troutfan
01-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I use a 20" 6lb. p-line flouro leader and a #4-6 gami bait hook. *Regular mini-marshmallows are all you need. *Don't let them freeze because they will be worthless. *Of course they don't cost much. **I run the hook through the mallow and slide the mallow up the line. *Then I put on one sometimes two mini-crawlers. *I wash the dirt off the crawler and slide the marshmallow down so it sits firmly on the hook. *If you leave it on the line it will slide up and your worm will sink. *One mallow will easily float two worms. *This rig is very effective at Topaz and I'm sure anywhere else where the trout like worms...and afterall that's just about everywhere.;)

wolfden
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll 2nd the rig that troutfan uses

I use the exact same rig and it works great

zhands
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Similar the troutfan I use a red gamakatsu live bait hook with 24" 4lb flourocarbon with slpit shot tied on a swivel to 4-6 lb Trilene . I thread the worm with a worm threader through the clitellum and usually pinch off a inch or so.(http://yankeeworm.org/ym_images/msn_anatomy.gif)

I buy the colored and scented marshmallows and put one on the tip of the hook. Then I use a homemade scent injector (worm blower tip glued to a baby medication syringe) and fill the worm up till it oozes stink.

I have caught quite a few trout out a Prosser Reservoir this past November and December on a slip bobber from the shore. (after my boat trailer crapped out)
I will also use the sticky Pro-cure and coat the marshmallow.

I buy a bunch of worms and have been keeping them alive and well, fresh and plump. I’ve caught more fish on worms this year than anything else. The nice thing about the slip bobber is that you have a better chance of lipping them so you can release them if you want, doesn’t always work.

Bought lighted slip bobbers at Cabelas so you can see them easier an hour after sunset. Kinda’ cool to watch.

Works for me

Trapper43
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I slide a garlic marshmellow on the hook and up the line. I then use 1/2 of a nightcrawler on the hook and slide the marshmellow back down on the head of the hook. Now your bait looks like an egg sucking leach. I then put a little garlic formula on the nightcrawler and cast it out. I generally use about 24 inches of leader. #6 hook. It doesn't have to be fancy.