PDA

View Full Version : Power worms

FishFiend916
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how to use berkeley power trout worms? I've seen alot of people catch fish on them, but I've tried them several times with no luck, it seems to just look fake, and unlively with no action! I must be using them wrong, can someone help me out??

ryanerb
01-21-2008, 10:38 PM
I've used them in the Sierra's near Mammoth. I get a #8 or 10? hook, and just hook the worm straight through...I do not thread it. Sometimes I add a little splitshot up the line. I cast out and let it slowly sink, waiting to feel a slight tick. Once I feel it sinks to the strike zone, I will start retrieving it. My retrieve varies. Sometimes I try jigging, sometimes a slow reel. Give it all a try. I think it worked well for me up in the Sierra's, but I can't say it is going to work good everywhere, such as some foothill lakes around the bay.

office_pirate79
01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I use them on a sliding sinker rig w/ a #10 bait holder hook like so: 2 Power Eggs threaded on the hook with the bottom egg covering the eye. Then thread the Power Worm and make sure it's snug w/ the eggs. Give it a nice bath in cod liver oil and voila. This combo has produced quite well for me at times. At times, not so much. Unless there's some movement in the water, I agree in that I don't think there's a whole lot of action going on.

What's worked even better is the two Power Eggs by themselves...that's been deadly. I think the scent is a key component, so try to add some if you haven't already. This might help your catch ratio.

OP

CODIII
01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I dont know if you have a boat or not but I have had great luck trolling them about 18" behind a dodger. Never tried them while bank fishing. I do agree office pirate though. I think scent is the key. I have been experimenting with different scents and I have not settled on a favorite but hopefully with in the next year or two I will get it dialed in

jiggity49
01-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Cuaght fish with them under a bobber or throwing them out and swimming them back like a jig or off the bottom with pb/p-eggs like was said before

Chadzilla
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Bent Pole- Do you thread them all the way up the line like a nightcrawler or do you leave a decent amount trailing off of the hook? Thanks!

cgagex3
01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
FF,
Another way to use that I have seen good success with is you thread the worm up the hook with a 3/4" piece or so hanging straight back and put a small ball of powerbait on the eye of the hook.
Kind of makes it look like a tube jig with a powerbait head and a powerworm tail.

CG

CODIII
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Chadzilla - I just thread it all the way up to the eye. There is a good amount hanging off the hook. If I think the fish are starting to short stike the bait then I shorten it but to start off I always leave a good amount hanging

steveo79
01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
At the risk of soumding redundant, I've used the power worms while trolling 12"-18" behind a sidekick or a dodger. But, I prefer a real crawler, and used the power worms after running out of the real thing.

keepn_it_reel
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
power eggs or power worms or just power bait I think it's more the color chartruse seems to work for me ;)

Trout Tracker
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
I have tried both the power worms and power crawler while trolling.
I did get bit once but the fish never came back,must have figured it out.
So i stick with real crawlers and scent.Bought some white power eggs and waiting for the good weather to try those.
Bob

FishFiend916
01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
What kind of hook? regular or worm hook? and what size?

Trout Tracker
01-26-2008, 06:51 PM
FishFriend.
I use a gamagatsu #6 pretied bait holder hook when i troll.
They come with a pre tied 4 or 6 pound leader that is about 14-18 inches long.
I cut the leader to the length i want,tie on a snap swivel and attach it to either blades or a dodger.
Bob

Quad_Hooks
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I have only used them a few times also as back up. Last spring
I caught a nice 3lb. rainbow with one, threading it on an
Uncle Larry's blue perch. I like to have at least an inch or two of worm behind the hook.