PDA

View Full Version : Winter fishing at los vaqueros

trout buster
01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd like to say one thing about Los vaqueros.Night crawlers in the winter.Under a bobber or on the bottom injected with air.Power bait seems better when the water warms up in spring.

ryanerb
01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Did you have a recent trip that you found this out on or?? More info would be maybe helpful.

trout buster
01-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Yes, this pattern for winter fishing seems to be every year.I fish on the south side from spring to fall and on the north side during the winter.The north side stays fairly quiet because of the hike in.Pretty steep when you're packing alot of gear.The fish I caught last weekend were all from 17 inches to 20.Very clean and fat.They say they plant on the south side so if these fish swam that far it makes me wonder if they are from previous plants.They are full of fight unlike a fresh plant.

Ikan_Mas
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh no, you've found the secret of the north side! ;) *Don't tell no one! ;D

Funnin aside, the fish are much better at the north end, and worms are the ticket to a good catch. *I am seeing fewer fish so far this winter, but they are bigger. *I suspect that this is part of the "plant em bigger so the stripers don't eat em" program that the water district has implemented. *When I took my scout troop out there a couple of weeks ago, the fish ranged from 15 to 20 inches, nice fatties. *They had been feeding on minnows, but homed in on the worms if put in the right place. *Just don't tell too many people about the north end, as it is a nice secret. *I also pick up all the trash I find out there, so the shore remains nicer. *Heck, one day I found a Victoria's Secret 38-D bra out there. Talk about the catch of the day. ;)

trout buster
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Looks like rain this weekend .Good time to smoke some trout.Any body have any good recipies?

DazShooter
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
* *Looks like rain this weekend .Good time to smoke some trout.Any body have any good recipies?

Try looking under this board.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=recipes

LastBassActionHero
01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
I wish this rain would stop so I can get a chance to try the north side of the lake..looks like I have to wait a couple weeks

Dustriver
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, worms, power eggs..... But I caught my biggest trout (7.4 lbs.) on white marshmallow & salmon eggs.