PDA

View Full Version : When fishing for trout..

joshc40
01-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Can you use a drop shot set up with a live worm instead of a rubber worm or other lure? I might go tubing soon so I was wondering if this is possible because it seems like the easiest way to fish from a tube with a live nightcrawler. Just wanted to see if some people have used it with success. Thanks for all the info and God bless.

Josh

Mr_Ed
01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
A drop shot is a great way to keep the worm OFF the bottom
for a more visual presintation and more strike, since it can be seen much better than a worm imbedded in the botton structure.

As always, fresh and active worm ( on ice) are the best to use.

Thank you my son.........

metalmouth
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
A drop shot or a small split shot will work. Add a bit of air to the crawler if you are using a larger weight to keep it out of the moss on the bottom. ;)

Slapin_Bass
01-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I've tried it before Josh, with mixed results. I hooked a nice size crappie and missed 2 other bites. Im not sure if the size of a trouts mouth has something to do with it, but it may be a different hook set than I am used to drop-shotting for bass. Good luck -Andrew

joshc40
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
How heavy of a line do you guys recommend? I was thinking six maybe eight. Kind of worried about the trout seeing the line though. Thats the main reason why I posted up this topic to be honest with you.

Slapin_Bass
01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Try using flurocarbon if you are in clear water. 6 pound fluro would be plenty tough for most of the planter trout around. Even 8 wouldn't be too much, and if you are fishing deep you don't have to worry about the stretch. -Andrew

GCinGV
01-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I've tried it before Josh, with mixed results. I hooked a nice size crappie and missed 2 other bites. Im not sure if the size of a trouts mouth has something to do with it, but it may be a different hook set than I am used to drop-shotting for bass. Good luck -Andrew
It may be your rod or just too hard of a hook set. Trout have much softer mouths then Bass and donít need nearly as much hook set. If youíre using a fast action Bass rod or heavy line or setting like you would Bass itís real easy to pull them loose on the set. That kind of set up will work and I do use a Bass rod for Trout plugging in plunge pools sometimes but you really need to lighten up the set and not horse them in or theyíll pull loose. A light action rod with a more parabolic (slow 50/50) action along with 6lb test will be much more forgiving for Trout. The same principal as using snubbers for Kokes, which have even softer mouths.

I like to use mono for Trout in 6lb non-florescent clear, or green or gray for 8lb or heavier to cut down on light transmission, which supposedly becomes a big issue when you go over 6lb test in mono. At least in the streams personal experience seems to have also verified this. Iíve noticed a definite drop off in bites when I go to clear 8lb test in the streams.
GC

Slapin_Bass
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
When I have tried the drop shot rig for trout it was with a medium light 7' rod and 6 pound mono...You may be right about the hook set though...Probably just too anxious.

B-RAN
01-16-2008, 04:48 PM
ive always been thinking about that ?

deadreds
01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Maybe we just fish diff down here. But we use 2-3 lb. my fav is maxima. We fish those trout in Irvine lake and have had much success landing big fish on light line. Plus it sure does get bit more. I fish from a boat though. so I ussually don't havee to worry much about them gettin into any structure. When I troll I usually go heavier with four lb. Unless I want to use a larger bait with a "rip troll" technique Then 6 lb. But I dropshot those little power worms for em all the time and use a very light action rod for their soft little lips. But also cuz I have the tendency to swing a little wild sometime .But that's cuz "Swing are free!!"