PDA

View Full Version : A noob lookin for advice.

Trout_Ninja
01-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey guys :)

I've been bank fishing McSwain since late May and it looks like I'm going to need a new place to bank fish during the rainy season. *All those hills turned McSwain real murky. *McClure is still low so that's not really an option either. *Just needing some suggestions here. *Coming from Modesto, trying to stay under 2-2.5 hour drive and looking for lots of trout, clear water and bank access. *If you know a place like that, please share. *Thanks ;)

Slapin_Bass
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't think you can wrong with Camanche. You can hit the south shore pond or the main lake from the bank. The usual sliding sinker set up works for me. Or you throw Kastmasters or even wolly buggers under a bobber.

If you wanted to go the other way Del Valle would only be about 45 minutes or so. It has been decent lately and the bank access isn't bad. Hope this helps you out a little.

Slapin_Bass
01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh and I forgot...Welcome to the sniffer...Don't be afraid to ask for advice or give unsolicited advice either...It is always welcome. Tight Lines- Andrew

Trout_Ninja
01-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't think you can wrong with Camanche. You can hit the south shore pond or the main lake from the bank. The usual sliding sinker set up works for me. Or you throw Kastmasters or even wolly buggers under a bobber.

If you wanted to go the other way Del Valle would only be about 45 minutes or so. It has been decent lately and the bank access isn't bad. Hope this helps you out a little.

Yeah, I've been wanting to check Camanche out. *I heard it's pretty expensive though. *I'll give them a call and see what thier rates are... do you know if they've got yearly passes and if so, are they worth it? *I typically fish 48 days a year or so. *

Thanks for the welcome. * :D

Edit: Their website suggests it to be $17 for 2 people in a car. That's doable. Pops might qualify for the senior rate so I might have to use the jedi mind trick on him if the fishing goes well, lol.

bowmasta
01-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey Trout_Ninja, if you want to pay a little more money then fish Lake Amador. This average size fish there is between 2-4 lbs, and the trout fight harder compared to a regular rainbow trout.

Trout_Ninja
01-15-2008, 12:05 AM
*Hey Trout_Ninja, if you want to pay a little more money then fish Lake Amador. *This average size fish there is between 2-4 lbs, and the trout fight harder compared to a regular rainbow trout.

A couple of guys I work with convinced me to try Amador out last May. *It was like $25 for my Dad and I and we didn't catch anything. *Haven't been back since, lol. * :P

Slapin_Bass
01-15-2008, 12:09 AM
The daily entry fee is $9. The annual is $120 I think. The annual fishing permit is $50. Check www.norcalfishing.com for more info. Bowmasta is right about Amador but it is ridiculously expensive and I've have very limited success from the shore. In a boat though.....Amador is tops any where close to the Bay Area.

Trout_Ninja
01-15-2008, 12:11 AM
The daily entry fee is $9. The annual is $120 I think. The annual fishing permit is $50. Check www.norcalfishing.com for more info. Bowmasta is right about Amador but it is ridiculously expensive and I've have very limited success from the shore. In a boat though.....Amador is tops any where close to the Bay Area.

Yeah, just googled it... it sounds like a winner.

twoelk48
01-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Both Melones and Don Pedro have shore fishing. At don Pedro two spots taht come to mine is the area on either side of the boat ramp at Fleming Meadow and the point on the right side as your backing down Blue Oaks Boat ramp. One of my fishing partners had his limit of trout time I got back down to the boat ramp by casting a silver castmaster. Teh point off Blue Oak is a great place to try for trout and or salmon. Id fish that point using two poles one casting and one bait fishing. I would think a minow or shad and or nightcrawler would work real good there under a bober suspended.

Trout_Ninja
01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Both Melones and *Don Pedro have shore fishing. *At *don *Pedro two spots taht come to mine is the area on either side of the boat ramp at Fleming Meadow and the point on the right side as your backing down Blue Oaks Boat *ramp. *One of my fishing partners had his limit of trout time I got back down to the boat ramp by casting a silver castmaster. *Teh point off Blue Oak is a great place to try for trout and or salmon. *Id fish that point using two poles one casting and one bait fishing. *I would think a minow or shad and or nightcrawler would work real good there under a bober suspended.

Sounds good. I've only gone to Pedro for wakeboarding, never to fish... probably because I didn't know where to fish. Thanks for the spots, I'm going to try Camanche tomorrow or Thursday... maybe Pedro on Friday.

stonesfan
01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Trout_Ninja, Looking at your Signature Pic., I'd say you are just

about to SNAG the guy in the blue shirt standing behind you...........

Just kidding my friend, hope you find a lake close by, and catch many

FISH.......................... [smiley=fishing5.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

Slapin_Bass
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Good luck Ninja...Look forward to hearing a good report.

cgagex3
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Ninja,
It may be hard to believe but imagine my surprise when I went to Camanche this past weekend to find that they actually dropped their price from last year.
Entry access is now $6.50 for your vehicle and $4 for the fishing so it went from $13 to $10.50 ;D
Banking at the pond can be very productive and in a another couple of weeks Pardee will open as well.

CG

gassy
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
dont forget Melones

stonesfan
01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
And Gassy, don't forget to post the Pic's of that 13lb fish you caught

at New Melones on Friday........................ [smiley=alien.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

Trout_Ninja
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Talked to my Dad today, it's a go for Camanche tomorrow. I'll post a report in a new thread when I get back. Thanks again guys :D

atavuss
01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
welcome to the sniffer family Trout_Ninja and good luck tomorrow!

Slapin_Bass
01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Alright Ninja good luck and tight lines. -Andrew

gassy
01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
stonesfan i put a pic of it in the trout pics and that was from Camanche I mentioned Melones due to the cost of fishing floating around........

KOKANEEKIDTC
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
ninja! welcome to the boards... if you are looking for advice, this is the place! have fun and fish with all of your might! tc