PDA

View Full Version : Afterbay attempt 1-10

chicofishrmen
01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Went to the Abay for a couple hours yesterday afternoon a got the big skunkaroo! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif The weird thing was I had 2 solid bites, where the bobber went all the way under but both times the fish was not hooked! I had 1 pole with a bobber & crawler & the other pole was a worm floated off the bottom. I was at the Wilbur Ave ramp. A guy fishing off the dock caught a nice 2#er that was stuffed with 1" minnows. If I get done with work in time I'm going to try again today.

SkiBoatFisher
01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I went out monday near the 162 bridge. northeast side. White power eggs off the bottom and caught the same 17"er 3 times.

The first time he was the friskiest fish i've ever caught, running and jumping and fighting really hard. The second time, he still fought but no jumping. The third time he pretty much just swam right in.

The first two times i didn't believe it, they measured the exact same. But....the third time.....

Anyone else ever heard of that? I would swear it was the same fish, crazy.

Crappy cell phone pic (I was all by myself)
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3259/0107081349el2.jpg

żżż
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I've caught the same fish twice *but never THREE times! *He must have been pretty hungry to hit your line even after being hooked...

Excellent specimen!

cgagex3
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Well Chico look at the bright side you got to fish, but with the way those fish hit I am suprised that they both got away clean.
I am heading out for my first fishing trip of the year tomorrow morning (to Camanche). I think I will be coming up your way to hit the afterbay again next weekend. My new ice water waders showed up today, I decided to get them after my last trip to the afterbay. It took 30 minutes for my feet to thaw out last time I was in the water there.
Ski that is one persistent fish, he really wanted those eggs.

CG

chicofishrmen
01-11-2008, 08:10 PM
!@#$%^&^,

Today is the day that I offically declare my suckdom! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif I got schooled! I was fishing 15 -20 yards away from 2 guys who kicked my butt using the same bait & technique I was, worm floated off the bottom! Argh! Even after they left & I moved to their spot (head hung low) I still couldn't buy a bite!

cgagex3, what day are you heading up! I might fish it from my boat, so if you see a green/tan Lund, steer clear from the bad juju! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif

Jigster
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Ski, those must be some really good powereggs! ;)

Chico, make sure your bait is actually floating. If so, check the length of those who are catching fish. We bait fished for a while next to another boat in Del Valle with nothing to show for our efforts while the next boat was pulling them in one after another. Turns out our leader was too short. :-[ Trout school so if they school 12 inches above your bait they may never see it.

J

chicofishrmen
01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Ski, those must be some really good powereggs! ;)

Chico, make sure your bait is actually floating. *If so, check the length of those who are catching fish. *We bait fished for a while next to another boat in Del Valle with nothing to show for our efforts while the next boat was pulling them in one after another. *Turns out our leader was too short. :-[ *Trout school so if they school 12 inches above your bait they may never see it.

J

That's what's even worse! I did! I looked at his leader length and copied it! And I made sure the worms were floating, I have no idea what I did wrong. The only difference was they were putting anise scent on 1 of their rigs and I was using pro-cure trophy trout & steelhead gel! But thanks Jigster, I've come to the conclusion that I suck at bank fishing!

Jigster
01-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I dunno about that Chico. From the looks of the fish on your sig it looks like you're pretty good at bank fishing. I think you just need to do more fishing. It's a numbers game. You're due!! ;)
J

maui_mark
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Chico. Sometimes the fish get together and decide it's just not your day!
I remember bait fishing for stripers with the parents, when we used identical rods, reels, lines, hooks, sinkers, bait... you name it... one of us would catch fish no matter which direction we cast or whose fishing rod we used ( I gave them each a turn with mine so they could hopefully catch something!.. the following trip was Mom's turn!)
Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are the best equiped, most skilled angler on the lake... if your "juju" is wrong, or there is a 9 year old with bad acne and more "karmically" worthy... you get the skunk... maybe the bobbers had poor "fung shei" (spelling?)
Good luck next time man. mMark

fernley_tim
01-12-2008, 12:46 AM
!@#$%^&^,

Today is the day that I offically declare my suckdom! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif I got schooled! I was fishing 15 -20 yards away from 2 guys who kicked my butt using the same bait & technique I was, worm floated off the bottom! Argh! Even after they left & I moved to their spot (head hung low) I still couldn't buy a bite!

cgagex3, what day are you heading up! I might fish it from my boat, so if you see a green/tan Lund, steer clear from the bad juju! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif
I would have to agree with you shawn you just plain suck ;D ;D

TeleComCal
01-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Chico:

You don't suck at bank fishing. This year ( I know I thought I was going to hang it up for the awhile, but I can't resist the temptations ) been out to the Afterbay 5 times, Both Forebays 3 times and have nothing to show. Tried every length leader, bait, ( except artificals ) weight set up, depth, distance from shore, etc. I was out at WIlbur Rd on Tuesday, and there was an older gentlemen fishing the buot line from shore, as soon as I got there he pulled in what looked like a nice 17 or 18 inch fish...I recieved a bit of wind burn ;).

Anyway...Don't feel bad, a lot of us are in the same boat......Of course I don't mean that literally, since I don't have a boat..haha...Ok, bad one liner.....

troutfan
01-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Shawn,
I feel your pain because I too have been spanked by one of my favorite waters, Topaz. But I will go out there again tomorrow and sooner or later I will get some of those wily hold-overs. It will make it that much more of an appreciable victory! ;)

Trout Tracker
01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Being skunked isn't nothing to feel bad about.
But i know that us that fish do take it kinda personal and wonder for day's what we could have done different .
But the day's i don't catch anything i enjoy myself just being on or near the water.
Now that i got my up to date stickers for the boat ,looks like i just may have to make the afterbay the first stop of the year.
Can't wait to feel the power of them stellies.
Bob

corndog
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Double Whammy Story: I was fishing a local Chico creek dragging a Mepps silver #2 classic across a small pool, no more than 10X15 about 2 feet deep at the top. This huge green gaping buck mouth of a brown trout came out from under the overhanging plant life and gobbled my Mepps. I freaked out and set the hook with an ugly "SNAP". Crap...tied on another Mepps #2 classic and stuck it in the exact same spot and there's the green gaper again. I was a little more composed on the hookset and landed the ~4lb brown grandad. Big fish for that small creek. Never did recover my 1st Mepps. Gotta get back up there and see if I can find that fish again.

Nice to hear the Afterbay is kicking out some decent rainbows.