PDA

View Full Version : Official December *Amador Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

troutfan
12-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Here you go guys. *I hope you slay them out there this month.
FYI-The previous Official threads for Amador will be archived on the trout faqs thread for easy reference.

stonesfan
12-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Is the launch ramp still down to (1) one lane? :'(

Looking at Yakmotor's photos, the lake is bone dry. [smiley=grinch.gif]

Was there some talk about closing Amador this year? [smiley=nerves.gif]

So many questions, so little time......................... [smiley=sherlock.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

n2trout
12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Ramp is still down to one lane. Lake water level is still dropping. We need rain badly or I don't see how anybody will be able to launch pretty soon. :-/

camotracker
12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
still one lane at the launch but it's 7FT deep. it's all good. slamador will stay open. every body thinks that the one lane causes the problem. it doesn't if everyone is courteous like the ones i've been around. then the one lane won't be any problems at all. just my 2 cents

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Salvage
12-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Today's Report

There were fewer people in line this morning compared to last Friday probably due to reports of colder temperatures. *Air temp at 5 AM was 36 degrees with a steady breeze that made being outdoors seem colder than it was. *I was very happy to try out a down parka that my wife picked up for me from Cabala's. *Less signs of surface activity than last week. * Fewer bank fishermen and most came out later in the mornings.

Fishing continued to be good in the early morning. * Caught 4 fish and lost 1 before 6:30 when sunrise occurred. *The bite really dropped off after the sun came up. *Got a solid hookup at 9 AM but lost the fish on a snag. *Caught my last fish at 10:15 (I do not C&R here). *Did not see many fish caught by others nearby but I did not spend much time watching others. *Seemed like a lot of boats on the water. *It seems ironic that most bank fisherman attempt to cast as far away from shore as possible. *It amazes me how close the fish are to the shoreline or the surface.

Took some shoreline photos for future reference and met a nice gentleman from Stockton this morning.

Cheers,
Salvage

StocktonDon
12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Nice report. Hope the fates let me get out soon and return the favor.

Mr._Striper
12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Cant wait to hit it up in a week ;D

targa185
12-02-2007, 08:12 AM
So I have fished there a couple of time and I forget which roads to take to get there the best a fastest way when pulling a boat coming from Yuba City? *Also I thought about camping for the night so if someone can shed some light on this subject that would be great as well. *I may just get up at 2am to get on the water before sun up.
Thanks
Targa

n2trout
12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Not sure if it is fastest or not but Hwy 65 to I-80 west. Take the Sunrise Blvd. exit off 80 and follow Sunrise all the way to Jackson Rd. Left on Jackson Rd. Jackson Rd. to Ione rd? ( There will be sign that says Ione to the right. Follow rd till it dead ends and take a left. This will take you into Ione. Follow signs from Ione to the lake. Amadors web site will have the camping rates. It's kinda of expensive exspecially when you add in the launch and fishing fees. You could look up the physcial address for the lodge by calling the number on the website and then mapquest it for more in depth directions or quickest route. Hope this helps some good luck to ya ! :)

happydaddy
12-02-2007, 08:10 PM
A buddy and I hit the water Saturday Morning about 7:00am. We started out trolling until about 9:00am for one. :-/ So we anchor in a little cove by the dam and soaked some powereggs for about a hour with no bite. *We moved over to a point off the main lake with three lost and one more in the boat. It was a great day on the water little cold and windy, but better then being at work. ended the day with only two about 3-1/2lbs. All I know is if we don't get a lot of rain soon Amador Lake will become Amador Pond. I didn't see any stars But there was a lot of boats until the wind picked up. I hope to go and try it again soon. *;D ;D

bassmanben
12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm gonna head out there Tuesday morning. Was gonna go today but with the wind blowin' like it has decided it would cramp my fishing style.

I'm gonna be bankin' it as usual off the dock.

fish10plus
12-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Headed up that way on the 7th friday,for the first time in 4yrs. Hope the fishing tactics are about the same with the low water. :'( :'(. Last time I was there I cought an 8lber by the spill way drifting PP at 15ft deep. Hopefuly a bobber with that set up will be suficiant. Good luck to all and FISHON :D

hunkfisher
12-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Well i hope you all down in Amador County get some of this rain cause its pouring buckets here on the north coast and we need it! hopefully Slamador starts to fill up!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Alan_Galbraith
12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Fished Amador on Dec 2. from 12:20pm until 4:30pm.

got skunked.

was using bobbers with Power Bait about 2 feet down.

fishing on the next point east from the RV park.

Saw two fish pulled in about 40 yards from us from a shallower part of the shore. looks like they were fishing off the bottom (no bobbers). Saw one boat catch a fish in the main body of the lake.

bassmanben
12-04-2007, 03:43 AM
well i'm up and going out to the lake again...
will be there around 5:30ish-5:45ish.

will report back later today.

fish10plus
12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
finaly rain rain rain and more rain. Keep it comming.

Diego916
12-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Not sure if it is fastest or not but Hwy 65 to I-80 west. Take the Sunrise Blvd. exit off 80 and follow Sunrise all the way to Jackson Rd. Left on Jackson Rd. *Jackson Rd. to Ione rd? ( There will be sign that says Ione to the right. Follow rd till it dead ends and take a left. *This will take you into Ione. Follow signs from Ione to the lake.

Here's a link with a map.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=h ighway+65,+lincoln,+ca&daddr=7500+lake+amador+driv e+ione+ca&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.821085,70.488281&ie=UTF8&z=9&om= 1

cgagex3
12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Targa,
If you are coming from Yuba City let me suggest a better route.
Come into Sac down 99 like you normally would, either take I-5 to Twin Cities (this would be the easiest although it adds 5 miles to your trip) take Twin Cities Rd east all the way into Ione, No towns to go through (except Ione) and very little traffic. Or you can cut across to Hwy 99 and just come through Sac and take 99 south past Elk Grove & to Galt. Either get off at Twin Cities and follow above or go past Galt to the first exit off 99 south of Galt is Liberty Rd. Get off there and go back over the freeway. Head east for about 10 minutes and you will hit Hwy 88 stop sign (straight ahead would be Camanche North Shore).
Turn left here and go up to towards Ione and follow n2trout from there.
The milage on the Twin Cities or Liberty are almost identical but both will save you time over a trip through Lincoln & Sunrise area.You are looking at about 92 miles this way but it is pretty light on traffic and stop lights.
Hope this helps

CG

RonM
12-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Targa,
If you are coming from Yuba City let me suggest a better route.
Come into Sac down 99 like you normally would, either take I-5 to Twin Cities (this would be the easiest although it adds 5 miles to your trip) take Twin Cities Rd east all the way into Ione, No towns to go through (except Ione) and very little traffic. Or you can cut across to Hwy 99 and just come through Sac and take 99 south past Elk Grove & to Galt. Either get off at Twin Cities and follow above or go past Galt to the first exit off 99 south of Galt is Liberty Rd. Get off there and go back over the freeway. Head east for about 10 minutes and you will hit Hwy 88 stop sign (straight ahead would be Camanche North Shore).
Turn left here and go up to towards Ione and follow n2trout from there.
The milage on the Twin Cities or Liberty are almost identical but both will save you time over a trip through Lincoln & Sunrise area.You are looking at about 92 miles this way but it is pretty light on traffic and stop lights.
Hope this helps

CG

What you want from Hwy 88 is Jackson Valley Rd. Turn right on Jackson Valley Rd and it will bring you to the stop sign just before Amador and Pardee, go straight and the entrance will be on the right about a 1/4 mile.

n2trout
12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for posting that link Diego. Sniffers ROCK !!! ;D

bassmanben
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
alright so i'm back.

summary - rained in the morning a little - not a lot.

caught 2 lost 2 by 7:30, caught one more around 10:30. Caught 2 crappie on minnows (someone else let me bum a few) in the first half of the day.

caught 8 more after 1pm. released some and brought home my limits to 3lbs. overall probably lost about 4-5 today.

they planted another 6000 pounds today. the bite picked up after the plant.

Caught one on a gold kastmaster, 4-5 on power worms (chart), and the rest on senko nuggets (senkos cut into 1/4" inch pieces fished weightless)

the kastmaster fish was awesome since it was at 7:30, the fish followed me all the way in, i paused my lure and watched him inhale it literally 2 feet from my rod tip, then took off on a screaming run.

the fish are in there, but its real muddy so be careful walking around if you're banking it. i got some pics this time so i will try to post them later.

highlight of the day was at the end when a trout screamed off with someone's rod into the drink, but luckily they were able to catch the line with a kastmaster, bring the rod back in (which barely was floating) and landed the fish.

fish10plus
12-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Nice report bassmanben looking forward to this friday now Never would of thought to do that to the senko. What colors did you throw.

fish_feeder32
12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Nice report bassmanben. I have cut senkos in halve before and fished them behind dodgers. or also behind a clear float. This worked well for me and most of the trout i caught were big.

bassmanben
12-04-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah, the senko idea was something i borrowed from someone else the last time i went. because of their weight, they are easy to cast weightless, and sink slowly, which drives the trout wild. i fish it using a slack line and occasionally jig it to bring it back towards the surface then let it fall again. they usually hit it on the fall, and the line will tighten quick. then set the hook hard!

they seem to hold on to the senkos longer than the other baits i've used. I think its because of the salt content in the senko.

the specific one i used is the kinami branded senkos at wal mart. chart/white. i think if you find a senko in the colors you normally use for trout at amador (chart, white, etc.) then it would work just like a crappie jig, except get slightly better casting distance and slower sink rate (crappie jigs sink faster based on jighead size, but jighead size=casting distance)

fish_feeder32
12-04-2007, 09:53 PM
hey bassmanben how are you rigging the senkos. it sounds like you are just putting a hook on no weight or bobber or leader or any thing. And then justn adding a quater inch piece of senko. and then just casting it out and letting it sink slow. Is this how you are doing it. Or is there anything I am missing.

bassmanben
12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
exactly right. just a hook through the middle (like a wacky rig), no weight, no bobber, nothing.

cast it out and let it drop, then raise it and let it drop again

fish_feeder32
12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Right on I will be sure to try that next time out. The kinami chartruese is what i use with the dodger and with the clear float also. But the pumpkin with red flake works well to when you start to run out of sun light.

YakMotor
12-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Not able to get out fishing I thought at least I'd go out and get some shots of other's success. *But, at 9am Wednesday I could barely see water! *About 10am I took this shot.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4183/boatsinfog231.jpg

By noon the fog was clearing to a scenic clouded sky and I saw a few folks out trying their luck. *While we needed a deluge of water we only got a dabble. *The heavier precip from this last system side skirted Amador again.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8747/Loneboatnbank365.jpg

Later in the afternoon I walked over to a spot overlooking the fishing dock and found only five or six triers there none showing any action. *I then watched five or six trollers for quite awhile, but never saw a hook-up. *Giving up on trout action and instead turned my viewfinder loose on boaters and wildlife.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5613/boatplaning335.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8707/Kayaker300.jpg

A dapple of low angled afternoon sun shining through tree branches spot lit this great blue heron. *The dark shadow almost makes it look like a flash exposure. *But, it was a good hundred yards away ... waaay too far for flash to carry. *A photo tip - If you're trying for a good exposure of a bird like this against a dark background. *The automatic setting of the camera will cause overexposure and bright feathers will get washed out. *To correct over-ride by using the exposure compensation adjustment. *It took minus 1 & 1/3 stop setting to darken this shot.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4272/GrtBluHeron362.jpg

While I didn't observe any Ama-bow catching action I did notice the last 6000 lb plant on Tuesday raised the total on the roadside sign to 57,500. *Guess if rain is not going to do it they'll raise the lake level with planted fish!

Come and get 'em! *Give a holler on VHF channel 69 as I've now got it programmed in my scanner and I'm itching to catch some ACTION!

camotracker
12-06-2007, 05:12 AM
right on yak. thanks for the report. and the pictures.doesn't seem to be much boat action going on. bring on the rain 8-)

fish_lips
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Nice pics Yak always look forward to your posts because they have great photos in them. You would love coming to my lake for Photos we have all kinds of wildlife and birds. Bald eagles and ospreys, ducks, herons, geese. It is a photographers dream. We have the Autabuan SP?society up here all the time!

fish10plus
12-06-2007, 08:18 AM
:) :)Ill be outthere tomorow morning about 730-800 Hitting the dock and maybe the spill way. Any idea where their planting sence the water is so loww are they still useing the spillway for that or are they useing the south shoot. :D :D Wish me luck oh one more thing any cats or crappie around the lake

bassmanben
12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
they plant in the launch cove, but the fish will have spread out by now. there are plenty of fish in the lake.

if there is sunshine i'd fish underneath or on the edges of the boat dock.

there are also some crappie around 8-15' deep off the dock. i caught 2 on minnows, but overall it was slow. the crappie bite should pick up in the spring.

fishingfan
12-06-2007, 09:35 AM
was there with some friends last night. had the lake all to ourselves from when we got there at 9:30PM until about 1AM. then 1 person showed up with their dog for about an hour and left elsewhere to fish. we were killing them out there. limits on trout and crappie for me. ;D it was real nice to have the lake to ourselves. left the lake at almost 6AM, thats when people started to show up.

p.s. it seems that every year, the fish are attracted to some sort of color/scent/lure/bait combination. once you figure it out, fish on and on and on... ;D it took 5 of us 3 hours throwing everything we had to figure it out what it was. then it was fish on!

hunkfisher
12-06-2007, 12:56 PM
So fishing fan you gonna share that secret to success this year or make us all go hog wild trying to figure it out ;), good job last night way to persevere and dominate the amabows, only 15 days till the fish are the business end of my rod again.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fish_lips
12-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I would love to catch some crappies the next time I go out and fish here. So you say you caught them off the dock and also at night? Mabey I will go and spend the night out there.

bassmanben
12-06-2007, 03:03 PM
how do you get access at night? do you pay the fee during the day and get a gate card for the night? i've been wanting to go there at night to fish for crappie but my wife would be mad at me for that i think =)

ben

fishingfan
12-06-2007, 06:44 PM
amador has never allowed fishing at night til recently. and i prefer fishing at night there, less crowded. but it does get COLD at night. :'( fish right along the docks.

SlamminAmador
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
1st time poster, long time reader here, I got to Amador this a.m. at 6, froze to death, caught 4 nice Cuttbows to 2 lbs each..fished down down by the dam, by the entrance ..fished powerbiat and nite worms, also caught 1 on a real grub I dug up by the lodge go figure ...but hey, any bait as long as it wurks..right? take it easy all, and tite rods and lines ..Marty ;)

fishinator
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM
SA, Welcome to the boards! You will have a blast on hear. Lots of info and good people. ;D Yeah, it gets pretty cold around this time. Good luck.

Fishinator

SlamminAmador
12-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Fishinator, I know I will have fun..are you going to Amador soon? They just planted 6,000 lbs yesterday by the boat ramp....big fish !! up to 6 lbs !!!! Marty

garrett_s
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
i will be at amador around 1:30
any body else going out here tommorow

fish10plus
12-07-2007, 04:48 AM
On my way to amador with my partner we will be on the dock by 630 hope to you out there guppy ill have blue rain suit. My names Cory. Will post about trip about 330pm. Tight line and fishon ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hoghunter3
12-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Anna and I headed on tomorrow. Hope to see a few Stars on the water

fish_lips
12-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I might get out this weekend and catch a few!

camotracker
12-07-2007, 02:52 PM
i'll be there in the morning as well. 8-)

SLAMMINAMADOR, welcome to the boards. you'll have lots of fune here. ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

RonM
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Well I had the day off and made my first trip to Amador for this season, Marine47 was suppose to join me but was sick so he had to cancel. It was raining pretty hard when I got up at 0400 so I waited till 0630 to leave and got on the water by 0800. Started by the Dam and Spillway in the rain, nada, no fish, no hits. Headed to the back of the lake, Donny Bay, Jackson Creek area. The rain stopped about 1000 and I started to get into the fish about 1100. Picked up my limit and released a couple by 0100 and was off the water. 3" white grub or a 2" Sunkist tournament style grub was the "Grub of the day". Thanks to the other fisherman that mentioned the 3" grub, I was using a 2" grub up to then without any results. Other than the rain it was nice since there were only four boats on the water.

Here's a few picks of how low the water level is.
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/2175/s5001075gz5.jpg

Mt Springs on the left.
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1136/mtspringsjm1.jpg

Jackson Creek...
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1308/jacksonlq5.jpg

Rock Creek...
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6567/rockcrkia6.jpg

My five, smallest was 2.6 the largest was 3.15.
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3531/s5001080jh8.jpg

SlamminAmador
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Great mess of fish Ron....I was there today also, got there at 8 a.m left at 2 caught 2 used everything just could not get into too any fish. forgot my grubs drat.....we trolled about the same places you went but not as deep...later and tite lines..Marty

RonM
12-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Great mess of fish Ron....I was there today also, got there at 8 a.m left at 2 caught 2 used everything just could not get into too any fish. forgot my grubs drat.....we trolled about the same places you went but not as deep...later and tite lines..Marty

What boat were you in, the pontoon boat.

hunkfisher
12-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Looks like the water might have come up a bit, nice report Ron

Brad "Hunkfisher"

partner
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Nicely done Ron...Well its not all bad that jim got sick. * ;D *You still got your radio.....sorry Jim couldn't resist.....

partner

bowmasta
12-07-2007, 06:33 PM
*Well, My dad and I will be out tommorow.. but not trolling. *We wanted to try something different and do some bank fishing for a change .. so well be at the point at the end of the spillway :o

Big Ken
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Nice job on the getting some fish. With that rain I bet that you wished you had called me insted of Jim ;D ;D ;D j/k. Brad we need alot more of those storms to fill these & all the other lakes up.

fishnphool

YakMotor
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
At 7am I spotted a couple boats braving the rain. *By 2pm the rain was gone but thick dark threatening overcast prevailed. *No boats were sight when I saw this fellow on the far bank hook a fish. *Got the camera out just in time to show it in the net. *A was a soggy storm last night with lots of wind but as you see in the comparison shot it did little to raise the lake. *Well, at least with the ground wet the next ought to produce some runoff.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5641/Bankernetstroutwdate413.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2485/Bankpointwdate366.jpg

From a neighbor's deck I checked water condition and found a boat tied just below me on a very steep bank. *The top of the outboard looks about a foot under. *A sad way to show you water clarity. *In the launch cove it seemed sort of coffee colored but not muddy. *My view was limited so I can't say about the rest of the lake.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6752/sunkboat438.jpg

Saturday in the a.m. Lite Drag and I will be out looking for fish, stars, and photo ops! *Show me whatcha got! *(Monitoring VHF 69)

RonM
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey Yak,

I called on the radio a few times to see if you wanted to come down and jump in the boat. That boat looks like the same one in my top pic, it's just to far for my pocket camera.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8960/s5001075arh1.jpg

marine47
12-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Well its not all bad that jim got sick. You still got your radio.....sorry Jim couldn't resist.....

well partner it was your transmission that caused me to throw that thing overboard, if the water gets any lower and you guys see a uniden 350 its mine and i still have the receipt so i can return it, it said submersible ;D

fish10plus
12-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I was out there to and still on the skunk train.ooooooooooooo fish everyone around us was catching fish but 00000 for my group. then a 3yr old boy brought his day and friends to so us how it was done . He was there not even 5min and hooked up. Throwing the exact same we were. White power egg or nightcrawler, White red crppie jig. Not even a cat fish today. Oh well Im done for the season will giver another shot come January Tight lines to all and MERRY CHRISTMAS be safe out there this holiday season.

YakMotor
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry Ron! *When I was up early I was sorta sleep walking between trips to the can. *Went back to the bunk and didn't become functionable til noon or so.

I noticed the boat in your shot too. *I screen grabbed it took it into Photoshop and brightened it up. *Looks to me like the boat was outta the water when you shot it. *Hummm ... wonder if it was boat wakes or whatever that sunk it?
http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/712/ronsshoreshot12707ql6.jpg

Nother photo tip if I may. *Cameras are programmed to adjust exposure to average gray and it works well 90% of the time. *They get fooled in shots like my heron with a dark background or in your shots with very bright clouds. *Your auto exposure darkened them and everything else in the scene. *On a bright cloudy day you need to compensate. *Most digitals have a plus/minus adjustment for it. *Previewing a shot on the built-in screen will show how much adjustment is needed. *Also, you have to watch not just the sky, but also the water surface which reflects the sky. *Both were working against you in these shots. *Glad to see 'em though. *Your fish shot is AWESOME ... good catch and great color.

RonM
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks, yeah there are more adjustments on this camera but I was too lazy to change the settings in the rain. ;D ;D .

SlamminAmador
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Great mess of fish Ron....I was there today also, got there at 8 a.m left at 2 *caught 2 * used everything just could not get into too any fish. *forgot my grubs drat.....we trolled about the same places you went but not as deep...later and tite lines..Marty

What boat were you in, the pontoon boat.

No, a 15 foot aluminum junker..20 horse johnson, but it gets us around...

fish10plus
12-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I saw you and talked to you I was on the dock far corner by the dam blue rain coat. Nice boat by the way.

Salvage
12-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

Hoping to fish there on Sunday morning. *I would rather fish tomorrow but the little lady wants to visit the coast instead. *Collecting beach agates is a passion with her.

Oh, well at least I can hear the early reports from tomorrow and Sunday's forecast predicts the coldest weather for the next few days which might keep the crowds down a bit. * Debating whether to buy a VHF radio to hear the sniffer chatter from shore. *Wally-world has a cheap one ($58) on sale locally. *Must tell the wife that it is for my safety....

Best of luck for those going tomorrow and share your results with us by tomorrow evening. *Sounds like fishing is picking up.

Cheers,
Salvage

RonM
12-08-2007, 08:11 AM
No, a 15 foot aluminum junker..20 horse johnson, but it gets us around...

If you ever see me out and you need anything just stop by, 14 ft Klamath w/stars.

SlamminAmador
12-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I am certain I saw you out there Ron, I think I waved and you waved back...it was cold and foggy..rainy, pretty dismal actually..we will be out there again on Sunday...take care and good luck, Marty

garrett_s
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
well i was out there from 12:00 to 4:00
no fish had a couple follow ups on spinners.there were a bunch of trout jumping in and around the dock
i did see 2 fish landed fish 10 plus i did not see you

bowmasta
12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
*Ok the result's for today... Actually I got home at 2pm today, just woke up from a nap :). *We got limit today and left by 1pm. *All of our fish caught from Chartruse Power Bait, and 6 others from chartruse power egg/ Nightcrawler combo. *Bank Fished today at the very end point of the Spillway. *Arrived at 6:30 am, poles in at 7:00 am and didn't even get our first fish until 9ish. *Did have 1 double today with my dad, and we landed both which were nice fish over 3 1/2 lbs . *Here are some pics *8-)

*Well earned limit
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/Picture073338x253.jpg

*Big fish of the day... well not that big, it was 4 lbs 2 oz.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/Picture074338x253.jpg

Oh yea My dad says Bank fishing is to much work :) , I just say hes to old, but I know well be trolling again next week .

garrett_s
12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
where is the spillway

RonM
12-08-2007, 07:02 PM
where is the spillway

Just before you go over the Dam on your way in look to the left, there's a road that will take you back there.

B-RAN
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
heading out tommarow morning. just wondering how the bites been up there. we are gonna be fishing from a boat so trolling casting whatever works i will try :)

SlamminAmador
12-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I did well today also, caught a limit in 2 hours, released all but 2 (burp) pretty tasty guys those 3 lbers....chartruese pb by the dam...see ya 'll Wednesday..tite lines I NEEd a camera too...Marty

fishinator
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
hey gppy on your next trip out, inside the diner there are some maps of the lake for free. Grab one foryourself, they come in handy. I keep one on the boat ;D

Fishinator

camotracker
12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
i finally woke up from my nap. let's see where to start. was on the water by 6am started trolling by the spillway. within minutes by bells start going off. still dark so could'nt tell which one was going off. and then it was gone. made my way to *doney cove, that's when the fun began. fish on left and right. at times it was so hot i could'nt get a line in the water before the other went off. i couldn't even free spool and i would have a fish on. :o now that's fun. stayed mainly in that area. i ended up with a total 15 fish caught and missed about the same. kept the 5 bleeders. would've quit sooner but that 10lber is still waiting to be caught. so, fellas it's still out there. ;) hot lure was the 3in pearl grub w/ chartrues power egg. they sure didn't like the 2in for nothing today.here's a few photo's for the day

here's my final fish of the day. a 2lber that inhaled my 3in. grub
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5495/img1034bq0.jpg

my 5 smallest 2lbs and the largest was 4lbs
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8940/img1036hg4.jpg

here's lunker with a limit of fish
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3514/img1037jr4.jpg

all in all, another great day on the lake. talked to alot of sniffer's out there. lunker and friend. seen him catch the PB and his first time at slamador, yak and litedrag, fish4fun and his crew, and of coarse bowmasta and his dad bank fishing. what?didn't see hh3 out there. until the next time. tightlines,

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Salvage
12-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for today's reports. *I will be out there tomorrow morning. *Good luck to those sniffers who will be out there and stay warm. *Got to try out a new rod from Fishermen's Warehouse.
Cheers,
Salvage

RonM
12-08-2007, 09:54 PM
i finally woke up from my nap. let's see where to start. was on the water by 6am started trolling by the spillway. within minutes by bells start going off. still dark so could'nt tell which one was going off. and then it was gone. made my way to doney cove, that's when the fun began. fish on left and right. at times it was so hot i could'nt get a line in the water before the other went off. i couldn't even free spool and i would have a fish on. :o now that's fun. stayed mainly in that area. i ended up with a total 15 fish caught and missed about the same. kept the 5 bleeders. would've quit sooner but that 10lber is still waiting to be caught. so, fellas it's still out there. ;) hot lure was the 3in pearl grub w/ chartrues power egg. they sure didn't like the 2in for nothing today.here's a few photo's for the day

here's my final fish of the day. a 2lber that inhaled my 3in. grub
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5495/img1034bq0.jpg

my 5 smallest 2lbs and the largest was 4lbs
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8940/img1036hg4.jpg

here's lunker with a limit of fish
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3514/img1037jr4.jpg

all in all, another great day on the lake. talked to alot of sniffer's out there. lunker and friend. seen him catch the PB and his first time at slamador, yak and litedrag, fish4fun and his crew, and of coarse bowmasta and his dad bank fishing. what?didn't see hh3 out there. until the next time. tightlines,

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Sounds like you had a good day Leo, not much room in Donny Bay for many boats now they waters so low huh.

camotracker
12-08-2007, 10:17 PM
ain't no lie ron. she' a tight one

LD
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
"made my way to *doney cove, "
Funny...I was thinking the same thing on the way home.
Sure is not a bay anymore. *:D

I had the pleasure of Yakmotors company today, he picked up a couple on woolly buggers, and I could not get a bite on a grub to save my life today... :-[ I tried a couple of differant egg and grub color combos, and after a while tossed out a Perch BBR. I wound up with 3 on that, and finally got one on a grub as I was letting it out probably about 25-30 ft. from the boat. That one hit hard and really caught me by surprise... ;D
For us it was a bit slow, but it sure beats working... ;)
It was nice to finally meet camotracker, fish4fun and his crew.
Yak got a nice pic of fish4fun's dad bringing one in, I am sure he will be posting some pics later, I don't know if he slept at all the night before... he is quite the night owl... probably still napping...[smiley=sleepy.gif]
Thanks Yak for the company, and the blueberry muffins. [smiley=snacker.gif]

LD

bowmasta
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
*Nice Camo, yea I saw you going back around 10:00 am , didn't know if you had limit or just mad that you were having a bad day. *Glad to see you did good... *I will defidently be trolling with my dad next weekend *;D

YakMotor
12-09-2007, 05:43 AM
So what's a late nite guy gonna do when he's invited boat fishing with a dedicated early riser? *Easy ... *just stay up, yawn, a little later!

A strange eerie early morning fog waifted over crags, canyons, crowded ridges, hung on the water shadowing vision. *A strong cup of kona helped clear my mind but fog remained on Amador's shore and sky and stayed for hours and hours. *Burrr, it was cold! *The sun didn't make an appearance til about 2pm. *
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/784/01Foggybankerndam449.jpg

lite drag and I had a slow start, but other Sniffers boated 'em left and right!
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8743/02Sniffersfishon454.jpg

Camotracker carefully releases one.
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7952/03CamoTrakreleasesfish507.jpg

Expressions on Ifish4fun's boat say it all.
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7274/04Ifish4Funboatstrout598.jpg

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/9937/05Fish4funfishon603.jpg

While some pulled fish from the near shore tangle a couple close passes got us hung on hidden branches. *Slow back tracking gave us the lures back.
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/8662/06Pontoonernetsone546.jpg

"Whaddaya mean reel in your second rod while you play your fish? *(Said like the guy in the "Don't bother me." Carl's Jr. commercials) ... I'm * ;D busy taking pictures!" http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/3553/07LDasksreelit556.jpg

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/6015/08LDfishon562.jpg

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/4338/09LDnetstrout634.jpg

lite drag with our keepers.
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/594/10LDwithkeepers637.jpg

Interesting bird targets were scarce. *The grebes and mergansers and most of the white egrets appear gone. *lite drag's good eye spotted the nearly camouflaged great blue heron and my tele lens got this shot.
http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/7611/11GrtBluHeron525.jpg

hoghunter3
12-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Sorry I missed the fun yesterday. Anna's coming down we a cold so we took a pass.

Yak, How far did the water come up with last week's storms?

LD
12-09-2007, 08:28 AM
So "Whaddaya mean reel in your second rod while you play your fish? *(Said like the guy in the "Don't bother me." Carl's Jr. commercials) ... I'm * ;D busy taking pictures!"

:-[ :-[ :-[
Ok... I will admit it... I hate to tangle lines... that fish was headed left to right, and was over my other line, and headed for Yak's too. :o
I will have to say for your age *[smiley=old.gif] you move FAST when you don't want to miss a photo op! [smiley=stirthepot.gif]
He put down the camera reeled in, and picked up the camera in about 5 seconds... [smiley=superman.gif]
It is always fun to watch someone who is so good at something, do what they love to do.
Always fun to fish with you Yak, we will fish again soon.

LD

camotracker
12-09-2007, 01:16 PM
looks like it came up about a foot or so. yak might have a better view for this
hope anna feels better.

Sorry I missed the fun yesterday. Anna's coming down we a cold so we took a pass.

Yak, How far did the water come up with last week's storms?

fishpeddler1
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
nice shot Yak. Is my computer screen fuzzy or does that heron have a line tangled in it's beak? glad to see people getting into them still. once the overtime ends I'll be back out there with little Tyee again. good luck all.

Captain Compassion
12-09-2007, 03:53 PM
So what's a late nite guy gonna do when he's invited boat fishing with a dedicated early riser? *Easy ... *just stay up, yawn, a little later!

Great day and pics. I've gotta get there between now and the end of the year. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

CC

Salvage
12-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

What a difference a week makes! * Air temperature was 29 at 5 AM and only the most hardy were fishing before the crack of dawn; very few people fishing the dam and docks but many boats later. *Very light wind and water temp was 54 at 7 AM. Bankers should be very careful; the recent rains made climbing the steep slopes very hazardous.

Not one bite today; my second skunk this season. *Little sign of surface activity. *Saw a couple of fish landed by a party in a pontoon boat and one by someone on the dam. *Oh, well that is why they call it fishing. *Sounds like the fishing was better in the eastern portion of the lake and hope that the fishing picked up in the afternoon for the bankers in western end. *I had to head for home to do some overdue chores. *At least my wife was glad that there won't be a mess of fish to process. ;)

MamaWentFishin
12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Mama Went Slammin' today!

Second trip to Amador this season, and I did far better today than my first outing. *Got there at about 6am, in the water by 6:30. *Didn't catch anything until about 8-9am, though. *Tells me that maybe I can sleep in just a little bit longer. * *::)

Landed 4, SDR one. *White power grubs were definitely the hot ticket. *Nothing else I tried worked. *Caught all my fish in the back 40 past what I think would normally be Carson Creek (given normal water levels). * Also stuck fairly close to shore - only one of the many benefits I attribute to my trusty float tube.

Got two lovely fillets on the stove even as I type here. *Smells awefully good in this house. * ;)

YakMotor
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
HH3 - I agree with camotracker. Level up only a foot or so at best. We need one of those pineapple express kinda storms!

lite drag - I'm well aware of crossed line tangles. I've spent so much time on 'em you notice I only use one rod at a time. I agree with you too. It was FUN watching you handle the net on those frisky fish. Should be quite a show if I'm ever with you when you get a double ;)

fishpeddler - Yes, this looks like the same bird I've photographed before. It still has something stuck in it's beak, but I'm not 100% sure it's line. Whatever it seems to be getting smaller. Hoping it'll be able to shake it off soon. At one point yesterday I looked uphill at the shoreline snags and noticed broken monofiliment lines hung like cobwebs from many. Probably a lot of bass lure atttached to many of them.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4140/heronheadcloseup525ha1.jpg

Salvage - From my perspective from a boat there seemed to be more bank fishermen than usual. Guess that impression could come part from seeing a lot of boats pulled up with the folks fishing from shore. I did see a banker land one in the spillway area. Finding a active school seems to be the ticket wether from bank or boat. I didn't notice much surface activity yesterday to help in that regard.

Captain C - Thanks! Come on down! It'll be like a trip to the tropics compared to those cold mountatin lakes you like to fish.

Mama - Glad to hear you got some arm exercise to keep you warm! Huh, for me Saturday the white grub was a loser, but so was an orange. I did get one on a pearl and the other on a black wooly bugger. Yum! I've got a fillet to fry tonight too!

garrett_s
12-09-2007, 08:11 PM
So what's a late nite guy gonna do when he's invited boat fishing with a dedicated early riser? Easy ... just stay up, yawn, a little later!

Great day and pics. I've gotta get there between now and the end of the year. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

CC

it would not be fair if you went those fish would not have a chance ;D
just kidding

Dennis
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM
*We need one of those pineapple express kinda storms!
YakMotor, *I know how to order one up! *Hey Freon! *Let's go fishing! *
[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]
Freon, Now I know that brought a smile to your face. *You know how it typically rains when we get together for a fishing trip. *

B-RAN
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
ive been planning a trip out there for a week. and me and my dad decide to go out this morning ;D we kinda had a late start due to waking up at 7:00 this morning :-/ not to mention my dad could not find his fishing licence and we looked for about a half an hour >:( finaly we found it ;D we got on the water at about 9:45 . we thought the action was all over by then but we tryed anyways :-/ we started to troll as we got out of the cove where we launched the boat, we started on the right side and trolled for about 15 mins and hooked up onto a nice 2.5 ponder ;D ;D then we went around the lake and came back to the same stretch, we came through and BAM!!! :o we hook up onto a 4.5 pounder. so we decided to work the stretch and then before we knew it BAM!!! :o a 2 pounder landed, so we tryed around an island and got a little 1.5 pounder, we made our way to a cove and trolled right past theses bank fisherman and hooked up onto a nice 4 pounder :o, after we caught that fish we saw them jumping everywere :o as we were working the cove my dad pointed out a bald eagle :) it was one of the most beautiful birds ive ever seen :D we made our way back in and headed home :'( but to top it off on the way back we saw about 80 turkeys and 10 deer ( i also love hunting ) it was the best day ive had in a while :) :) :) :)

Captain Compassion
12-09-2007, 11:05 PM
it was the best day ive had in a while :) :) :) :)

It would be a very nice day for anyone who enjoys holding a fishing rod. Thanks for the story.

CC

freon
12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Got two lovely fillets on the stove even as I type here. Smells awefully good in this house

Congrats on a good haul out there Mama, you sure have been putting in your time, glad to see you are getting the rewards :D

Freon, Now I know that brought a smile to your face. You know how it typically rains when we get together for a fishing trip.

Yep, got more than a smile out of me, perhaps it is time for our annual run up there, what are you doing on sunday? Bob could use the rain.
For all others, if we go, I would stay home, usually typhoon type of weather ;)

Anna's coming down we a cold so we took a pass

Now was Anna really sick or did you have that lazy fishermans disease "cantgetoutofbedearlyitis" ;D
Perhaps you should join Dennis and I and really get the rain flowing ;)

freon
12-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Got two lovely fillets on the stove even as I type here. Smells awefully good in this house

Congrats on a good haul out there Mama, you sure have been putting in your time, glad to see you are getting the rewards :D

Freon, Now I know that brought a smile to your face. You know how it typically rains when we get together for a fishing trip.

Yep, got more than a smile out of me, perhaps it is time for our annual run up there, what are you doing on sunday? Bob could use the rain.
For all others, if we go, I would stay home, usually typhoon type of weather ;)

Anna's coming down we a cold so we took a pass

Now was Anna really sick or did you have that lazy fishermans disease "cantgetoutofbedearlyitis" ;D
Perhaps you should join Dennis and I and really get the rain flowing ;)

fish_lips
12-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds like everyone had a nice weekend either from a boat or fishing from shore. And Bowmasta from shore? OK!

freon
12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
And Bowmasta from shore? OK!

FL, that was sort of different wasnt it, sort of like hooking sharks in a lake, you just dont expect it ;D
I have never known him to fish the bank.

hunkfisher
12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Now was Anna really sick or did you have that lazy fishermans disease "cantgetoutofbedearlyitis"
;D ;D [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Freon come on now i use that one use everyday ;D

Nice reports everyone this weekend and keep em coming ill try and make it out there on sunday, hopefully!!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Dennis
12-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Freon,

Sunday is good. Looks like the weather websites are calling for rain on Monday and Tuesday, but I bet we can make it happen a day or two early. What time do you want to go?

HH3,
Can you make it?

Paddleman
12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Sizzling, thats what I would call it out there this morning. Had the opportunity to fish Lake Amador with Oxbow today. The fish did not disappoint. *Several bites and hookups in the morning. *Bites were steady on grubs. *They were hungry today. *Several of the fish just slammed the baits. *Rods bouncing in the holders. High fives were flying. *We ended up with two nice limits by 11:00. *One limit of five fish weighed in at just under 23 lbs. Biggest of the day was a 4lb 15oz fatty based on the digital scale display. *4 of the fish were over 4 pound, with one of them an ounce from 5. Plus we lost two fish that were pigs, could not stop them. They came unbuttoned in the tree stumps. *Just a great day out there. Pretty cool in the morning. Warming into a mild morning. *About 20 boats out by the trailer count in the parking lot. *Water is up some, but has a long, long way to go. *Did not seem to be much run off looking at the usual spot were you would see it. Would guess the majority of the rise came from the main creek locations. *Water is in good condition and clarity is good. *Some debris slicks on the surface from the rising water, but not hard to avoid.

Oxbow with a couple nice ones and a smile that tells it all.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fishing_4511.jpg

Our ten fish from the morning
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fishing_457.jpg

Just under 23 lbs of cutbows
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fishing_4541.jpg *

RonM
12-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Very nice Chris....Good Job

n2trout
12-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Way to go Paddleman. Thats a nice braggin stick. I will be out there in the a.m with Vito. His bro is back from Iraq. Hoping to put them on a steady diet of Amabows. Was it the usual hot colors on the grubs? Sounds like a busy weekday with that many boats out there. Bite must be really picking up. :)

troutfan
12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
WOW! Nice stringer Oxbow and Paddleman. Those are some beautiful trout. Great report.

Salvage
12-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi all,
I quess that I need to quit bank fishing and bite the bullet and deploy my inflatable and hunt down where the fish are biting. I am glad that someone are catching their share and there is always something to new learn at Amador.
Cheers,
Salvage

B-RAN
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
nice stringer paddleman ;) how do u troll the grubs and wat kind of grubs are they?

garrett_s
12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
do they have boat rentals at amador?

RonM
12-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Yes they do but it's not cheap....

http://www.lakeamador.com/fees.htm

freon
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Paddleman, very nice stringer and report buddy, real nice pics, you and Oxbow put a pretty good hurting on them ;)

garrett_s
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Yes they do but it's not cheap....

http://www.lakeamador.com/fees.htm
better than some lakes
at one (lake i will not name) has boat rentals for 20$ an hour

YakMotor
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
On trolling with the rental boats ... with the gas motors on them they go too fast for fishing the Power grubs (best at .8 to 1.2 mph which would be kinda like a slow strolling walk) I've seen some folks slow boats down by towing 5 gallon white plastic buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. Rapala's work well at higher speeds and are good fish getters at Amador. Bringing a electric trolling motor and battery, if possible, would be good too.

camotracker
12-11-2007, 05:05 AM
right on chris.. those are some nice ones. you and oxbow found the critters early. glad to see you out there. smiles in the photos tells all

fish_lips
12-11-2007, 07:28 AM
I can vouch for the bucket thing my buddy trolls with a 50 hp motor and he uses two buckets and brings his trolling speed way down. He catches fish pretty good!

freon
12-11-2007, 07:41 AM
The boat rental really isnt that bad when you look at how much it costs to launch there. Basically you are out another $25 or so ($40 for a half day), not bad for a half day of fishing. I agree with the bring your own trolling motor idea as I have a buddy that has rented those boats a bunch of times and none of them go slow, he calls them jetboats *:o
A word to the wise, if you have to use five gallon buckets, make sure they have holes in them, those fish fight hard, but fight even harder beside the boat and will weave your bucket and main line in nothing flat, now that will p#$s you off, they do the same thing with downrigger lines *>:(
Its hard to pull the buckets in with one hand if you dont have holes in them *:o

LD
12-11-2007, 02:00 PM
*Bringing a electric trolling motor and battery, if possible, would be good too.
Probably the best thing to do.

But in a pinch...
Here is another unorthodox but effective way to slow down, troll in reverse...
Yup... ;D
I saw a guy last year doing this, and while unusual to say the least, it worked, and they caught fish... ;D

garrett_s
12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
i think we will fish from the bank
would power worms in pink work?
also can you fish A grub from shore?
thanks
Guppy

hunkfisher
12-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Guppy- Yes you can use the smaller grubs set up like a Flynbubble combo, retrieve just fast enough to make the grup roll a bit. Pink powerworms behind a bobber will work great too. Sounds like the Spill way and damn are the places to be right now for amador fish.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

B-RAN
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
i wondering when you troll the grubs, do you use any kind of weight ? and how fast should i troll them ?

hoghunter3
12-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Glad to see you "nailed em" Chris. Seems like old times ;)

Plan on going out with a couple "rummies" from workon Friday, then back out on Sunday with the "Honeymooners" (Dennis and Freon) You'll hear us laughing if you're out there

GW_Extreme
12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Usually no weight is used with the grubs, but in the spring you may end up adding a small split shot or two. Trolling speed is SLOW. Best is .8 to 1.2 with the grubs.

camotracker
12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
i wondering when you troll the grubs, do you use any kind of weight ? and how fast should i troll them ?

no weight at all. the grub is all you need. i myself put a small barrel sqivel with an 18 to24 inch leader. i do so to prevent line twist.

trolling can vary, but we've been trolling btween .8 to 1.0. it depends on the fishs mood. but if you can keep this speed, you'll have a great day. lately they been wanting the 3 inch instead of the 2 inch. so i would bring both sizes to be on the safe side. hope this helps. good luck ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

B-RAN
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM

no weight at all. the grub is all you need. i myself put a small barrel sqivel with an 18 to24 inch leader. i do so to prevent line twist.

trolling can vary, but we've been trolling btween .8 to 1.0. it depends on the fishs mood. but if you can keep this speed, you'll have a great day. lately they been wanting the 3 inch instead of the 2 inch. so i would bring both sizes to be on the safe side. hope this helps. good luck ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

thank you camotracker, but one more question, what depths do these grubs usually reach ? and how far back do you troll ?

Paddleman
12-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the" that a boys", *folks. *It was one of those days you do not forget for awhile.

We used 3" in white and pearl. Same as last trip. *We started with this combo and ended with the same. Did not need to go through any changes or rotations. They started out hot and ended in the same manner, with the same colors. *Had a ton of bites. Not much finesse needed this day as they were slamming it most of the time. Both Oxbow and myself are about as slow afoot as it gets and we still knocked the snot out of them. *The fish were on average for this place bigger than our last trip. Stick with camotrackers speed suggestion. *May slow it way down if we are pulling power mouses, but we did not even go that direction on Monday. *

HH3, give me a jingle some day and we can do it in my boat. *It needs to be baptized HH3 style.

Heck after all that mentoring you gave me on this lake I almost feel like a Amador slayer, like you and Freon are. I think the Drift Wizard and I could give the two of you a good go now a days. *You are rusty as heck, (all work and no play) and a few wobble pops into Freon and our handicap is made.

Um---maybe a fish derby some weekend is in the cards. *HH3 & Freon vs. Drift Wizard & Paddleman. *Looser pays for a Amador Café giant burger and fries for the winners for lunch. *Best weight for two limits of fish wins. *

garrett_s
12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
when are they going to be stocking amador? i will be there saturdayand want to make sure there are fish i will be on the bank

hunkfisher
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Anybody know where i can get a reasonably priced vhf radio, i am going to try and get into the crap on sunday ;D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

bassmanben
12-11-2007, 10:28 PM
when are they going to be stocking amador? i will be there saturdayand want to make sure there are fish i will be on the bank
they stock every tuesday/wednesday. there are always fish there guppy. every day of the week.

YakMotor
12-12-2007, 01:25 AM
The sign that shows the plant tally hadn't been changed when I came in tonight so they will probably plant another 6000 lbs tomorrow (Wednesday) to add to the 57500 already in the lake.

So if you divide 63500 by 3 1/2lbs (guessed average size of an Ama-bow) you get about 18,143 fish. Even with Sniffers and their awesome catch rates there ought to be a few left for this weekend.

lite drag - GREAT idea on trolling the rentals in reverse! Simple solution without the need for hanging tangly stuff over the side.

camotracker
12-12-2007, 04:49 AM

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

thank you camotracker, but one more question, what depths do these grubs usually reach ? and how far back do you troll ?

6" to 12" basically your on the top. toplinning what they call it

camotracker
12-12-2007, 04:53 AM
Anybody know where i can get a reasonably priced vhf radio, i am going to try and get into the crap on sunday ;D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hey brad, walmart has the small hand held ones for 50 to 60 bucks. it comes with all the bells an whistles.

fish_lips
12-12-2007, 07:18 AM
You guys in the rental boats don't be afraid to troll these grubs up to 2 mph. I have done this and caught plenty of fish. It is definetly better to fish slower but not dependent on catching fish or not. One thing you can do is run two poles off one side and fish a rapala on the lower rod and fish a grub on the upper rod that way the lines are separated by five feet or more.

garrett_s
12-12-2007, 07:31 AM
i do not know if i want to fish seco or amdor
how are the crowds at amador on the weekend

ric1ric
12-12-2007, 08:28 AM
i do not know if i want to fish seco or amdor
how are the crowds at amador on the weekend

Thick

fishinator
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey Guppy, this weekend there is a derby at Seco, it will be packed all along the shore line. Just a heads up.

Hunkfisher, I have the walmart nautical ($58). Now that I mounted one in the boat, I may be get'in rid of mine. I'll hook you up on price if you don't get one soon.

Phil

LD
12-12-2007, 11:46 AM
lite drag - GREAT idea on trolling the rentals in reverse! *Simple solution without the need for hanging tangly stuff over the side.
I can't take credit for that idea... ;)
But if somebody catches a 10 pounder doing that I may reconsider... ;D
That is probably one of the most unusual things I have seen while fishing. *:-?
At 1st, I was just laughing, and the more I thought about it, I applaud his ingenuity. Talk about some clever thinking. * :)

yonnr2000
12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I've done the amador rental boat thing a couple of times. *It is hard to do a slow troll. *My suggestion would be to drift the power mouse. *The power mouse works even when not moving. *Keep the motor on and occasionally put it in gear to go in the direction you want. *Motor upwind and then put the motor in neutral and then let the wind take you for a slow drift. *Or troll Rapala's, they work better at the higher speeds.

Ronny

hoghunter3
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
HH3, give me a jingle some day and we can do it in my boat. *It needs to be baptized HH3 style.

Heck after all that mentoring you gave me on this lake I almost feel like a Amador slayer, like you and Freon are. I think the Drift Wizard and I could give the two of you a good go now a days. *You are rusty as heck, (all work and no play) and a few wobble pops into Freon and our handicap is made.

Um---maybe a fish derby some weekend is in the cards. *HH3 & Freon vs. Drift Wizard & Paddleman. *Looser pays for a Amador Café giant burger and fries for the winners for lunch. *Best weight for two limits of fish wins. *

I think the pupil has "left the temple grasshopper". Don't think you and Driftwizard need a handicap as well. Our only problem is we both enjoy a beer or two, then have a little trouble keeping the fish count straight. *;)

Seriously Chris, I'm sure the "old man" Freon will be up for the bet.I'll talk to him on Sunday about a date

Dennis
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Seriously Chris, I'm sure the "old man" Freon will be up for the bet.I'll talk to him on Sunday about a date

'old man' [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

freon
12-12-2007, 09:36 PM
OLD man? what the heck are you talking about, have you even looked in a mirror lately HH3? *;D
I am just a young pup,heck if I was as old as you two, I would remember when I voted for george washington, but I understand why you two cant remember *;) *;D
I am always game for a day of talking trash twith a few good friends, I do agree with HH3 though, no handicap *;)
Besides, I will have HH3 in the boat, thats enough of a handicap :o ;D
Lets work out the date and make sure that Bob has those burgers ready for HH3 and I, we really do appreciate you picking up the tab too *:D
Dont worry Chris, we will do our part with the wobbly pops, we always do *;)
Looking forward to a great day on water, even if no fish are caught *:D

freon
12-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I am trying to get a feel for which would be the best weekend for Amadorfest II. Lisa and I are available on April 25-27 and I am thinking that is the one of the better weekends due to the fact of the temperature and the larger size of the fish. I am attaching a poll to find out the best date and if anyone is interested in handling the fest and the derby. Last year I handled the fest and Trackertundra did the derby and had others such as GVF adn Hunkfisher getting us some freebies. It came out pretty good, but as usual, I think we can always do better and have more fun :D

Vote today ;)

ric1ric
12-13-2007, 06:48 AM
I think the earlier date would be best because we are doing a Striper Fest at Lovey's May 2nd 3rd and 4th

robert_long
12-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Rick. striper fest at Lovies. ;D oh yes ;) Both dates are good guys.

Robert 8-)

fish_lips
12-13-2007, 07:25 AM
I am ready for another fest. Last year was a blast!

camotracker
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
i'll be there first thing in the morning. any one else going to up that day? anyone brave enouh to leave the house with family there sleeping? LOL
who are the brave soles. we'll soon find out. tightlines,

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

camotracker
12-13-2007, 03:32 PM
did someone say fest. any date will be fine with me.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

LD
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Hmmm.... I am going to give that some serious thought... :-/
I am on the road Christmas morning... I will have to talk to my social director... [smiley=gorgeous.gif]... ;D
Can I hitch a ride? * :)

JPFX
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
How do you guys do it??? I mean really now...fishing on Christmas Eve?? :-? I'm very jealous! The only other person I know who could fish on X-mas Eve was Scott Peterson :o ;D ;)

camotracker
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
i'll be on the road christmas morning as well. come on guy's who wears the pants here. us or them? she'll be cooking anyways. she won't even miss ya ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

cgagex3
12-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Ouch, JPFX drops the Scott Peterson reference. [smiley=clap.gif]
Nice pull for the history of famous Christmas Eve fishing. Unfortunatly for my fishing schedule my wife doesn't do much of the cooking since I am the ex-chef. For the last 15 years I cook for fun, family & friends not for a living.
Christmas Eve means a whole pig cooking low and slow for the Christmas day feast. Now Saturday & Sunday, that's another story.
[smiley=angling.gif]

CG

bowmasta
12-13-2007, 06:24 PM
You already know ill be there Camo *8-) , None of these ladies are going to fish with us on Christmas *;D . *I will also be out this saturday to catch some 'Sharks' ... thanks freon, and yes I will be TROLLING ! *

camotracker
12-13-2007, 06:34 PM
You already know ill be there Camo *8-) , None of these ladies are going to fish with us on Christmas *;D . *I will also be out this saturday to catch some 'Sharks' ... thanks freon, and yes I will be TROLLING ! *

. and bowmasta ,good to see that someone else will be out there besides me. looks like we'll be catching all the fish. LOL

hunkfisher
12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Fest another slamador classic??? Oh i ll make that 6 hour drive to the lake for a weekend! just dont think april will work for me we have spring ball so ill go with early May or end of March, but if i can make it ill be there!!!! Christmas day heck ill be there if i can, everybody will be at mom and dads at 11 so that gives me 5 to 6 hours of fishing time, Camo if i can make it i will ;)

Now any reports recently i am going to try and get in on the action sunday hopefully!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

freon
12-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I will be out there on sunday as well HF, with Dennis and Hoghunter, should be a riot, especially on the radio, hope to see you out there :D

hunkfisher
12-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Freon-Watch out for a kid deck in Humboldt garb and for donuts ;D ;D, Need to get me a VHF
Phil-if you want to let me take that off your hands just tell me what your price is, ill meet you at wild sports aka work :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fishinator
12-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Brad, pm sent. Now got to get to bed [smiley=sleepy.gif] [smiley=sleepy.gif] [smiley=sleepy.gif]. I've got fish to catch in the morning!

phil

fish_lips
12-14-2007, 07:29 AM
I will be out fishing on Sat hope to see some sniffers out!

freon
12-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Hard to miss you anyways Brad, unless you have full camo on and are sitting down, you do sort of stand out in a crowd, and a stadium too ;D
Glad you are getting to enjoy your xmas break :D

hunkfisher
12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey what are you getting at freon, [smiley=snacker.gif] [smiley=snacker.gif], haha thanks just finished my last final can't wait to slay some amabows on sunday!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

fishingfan
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Still slaying them at Amador for us. I told a bunch of my friends how I caught fish there, and they went and tried it one night this week. Here's the picture of their catches. ;D ;D ;D

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5278/lakeamadorfishir9.th.jpg (http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lakeamadorfishir9.jpg)

I will be out there sometime this coming mon-wed. So look for me and say Hello. I will be wearing a white American Eagle cap. ;)

steveo79
12-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Nice catch....I hope there were 8 of them! ;)

fishingfan
12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
there were 10 of them. they were there only a few hours.

garrett_s
12-14-2007, 07:13 PM
i will be there sunday any other sniffers going to be their?
what kind of lures/baits are working. also when you fish with power bait do you fish it under a bobber or off the bottom

fishinator
12-15-2007, 06:52 AM
FF- Great pic! Were they on the bank or in a boat? That is a whole lot of sushi ;D

fishinator

hoghunter3
12-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Weny out yesterday with a couple of "rookies" from work. Had to work for them but we ended up with our share.

We did lose more than our share as well. It's always a treat to see one of the "bows" slam a rod and bend it double and have one of those "rummies" slam the rod back in a manner that would make Bill Dance proud. Just love the hear the sound of lines snapping >:(

Did have a great day and lots of laughs.

Here's the result of the day's first double
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/FS1.jpg

A nice 4 pounder (or per GVF almost 5 pounds!)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/fs2.jpg

Another nice 4 plus pounder
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/fs3.jpg

Here's the days "take homes"
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/fs4.jpg

fish_4_alivin
12-15-2007, 09:08 AM
That is a very nice rack of fish!

Dennis
12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, not bad for a couple of rookies and a blind hog. ;D

freon
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey buddy, nice stringer :D
Dang, I knew you couldnt remember your name, but your blind now too, you really are getting old ;D

Brad, I sent you an email, check it out :D

cuhogn
12-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Brad, I sent you an email, check it out

Yea check your PM also :D

freon
12-15-2007, 02:41 PM
concerning amadorfest:
I asked Chickfishin to put a sticky post on the hitchhikers board for the fest for april 25-27, the reason for it is because they are having a pyramid fest on 4/5-6 and a striper fest on 5/16-18, this is exactly three weeks between both and an ideal time, weather and fish wise. Hope this works for everyone. It will give everyone time to recover before the next one ;)

Manteca Steve
12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey Hoghunter 3
Nice pic. I'm sure you made there day! :)

hunkfisher
12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks freon and cuhogon check both of your pms i have got that amador itch :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

bitancor
12-15-2007, 05:03 PM
nice fish guys...... :).......so what did you use to get these this time...what did their bellies go for today.....anyways anybody know how amador is as of today....Merry Christmas and God Bless

ric1ric
12-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Fishnphool and I decided to do a friday run to Amador. We arrived at dark thirty, launched and was trolling at first light. We managed two right off the bat so we though ahhh going to be good day. But it was never to be and as we watched everyone on the lake catch fish, we didn't. Nice to see all the sniffers out and talk to Yakmotor. We did have a good time and eat pretty good. Ken had his BBQ so we qed up some turkey chorizo (don't ask me how they get chorizo out of a turkey) with grilled peppers, onion, and garlic.yum yum!! We had a few short strikes and a couple LDRs. The weather was beautiful only a lite wind Great day to be on the water.
Thank you Ken I had a good time Bsing and all. I swear I'm not a jinx, I swear. Normally it's just me who doesn't catch anything, not the Captain.

cuhogn
12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Posted by: Hunkfisher
Thanks freon and cuhogon check both of your pms i have got that amador itch

See at 6:30

firetrout
12-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Hoghunter2 *Are those two guys the same ones you taught last year, how to fish? *I think the comments sound familar. *I hope that they learned something from the "King" ;D

By the way the rods worked great today at Del Valle trolling, *Its fun to see them get slammed and bend in half. ;)

kooter
12-15-2007, 07:12 PM
just wanted to intro my self i just joined the fish sniffer want to go on wed next week i have not fished amador im new to the area i live close to the lake about 30min hows the crowdes was also wondering how all these big trout were being caught trolling or bait fishing :)

bitancor
12-15-2007, 07:19 PM
I like trolling around the dam in circles.....It was good for me....I also used the combo power egg and 3' pearl white grub like the other sniffers mentioned..Also kastamasters do good while power mouse or just trolling the power worm is good to..I am also new to the sniffer boards...So welcome..Banking is alright but its work ....I rather be in a boat..But action in Amador is very good right now..If i were you i would go all the time since you live so close 2 there..But one thing that's the negative side to it is the priceyness...Yeah its a drag but other than that its a nice place..Expect some acion when you go to amador.Merry Christmas and God Bless

camotracker
12-15-2007, 09:21 PM
right on hog hunter. i think i saw these two last year with you. are these the 2 that locked your key in the truck ::) had to brake the window and all. congrats.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

clamkin
12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Crzynkedguy and I made our first trek to Slamador today and the fish cooperated. Using grubs on the troll we took home 8 to 4.5 lbs. and lost a few LDR and SDR. Hopefully we didn't just get spoiled with first day results. We'll be back soon. Talked to some guys at the ramp who claimed it was slow today?

Anticipation

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5462/anticipationgq8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Crzy at work

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6424/crzynakedbendorr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Them's some big hands

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5134/keeperhn5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Today's booty

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6663/slamadortakehomeql7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

RonM
12-15-2007, 10:25 PM
The lake should hold steady till mid April, then the fish go a bit deeper and you have to break out the downriggers till late May.

MankinD
12-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Nice looking booty there Bob. Thanks for rubbing it in (beginning to hate cell phones). By the way, I did get the new Minn Kota mounted despite the phone interuptions for fishing updates. Who scored better today, you or Crzy? It's looking like the weekend after Christmas will be my next opportunity.

Doug

clamkin
12-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Mike had me early 3:1 because I was spending more time messing with tackle than fishing, but I think in the end it was pretty even.

We left a couple in the lake for you. Looks like we're back there in 2 weeks. Are you going?

MankinD
12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
That's a definite maybe!!! It'll depend on what these upcoming rains do for the steelhead in the river.

Doug

freon
12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Hit the lake at o dark thirty with Dennis and Hoghunter was waiting for us in the parking lot, sweet, great way to start the day, launched out and tried the dam for no luck and then headed towards the back and got the first fish in, thought this was gonna be a hot day, but it slowed, then picked up, then slowed etc all day long, we did end up with fourteen into the boat, lost some others and missed a bunch. Laughed harder than I have in awhile, always a blast to fish with these two guys. Talked with Hunkfisher and Cuhogn a bunch out there as well. Nice day, but the bites were hard to come by, as soon as we would get a repetative bite, it would die off. Hog did the camerawork today so I am sure he will post up a few pics. It did seem like it was abuse Freon day as Hog and Brad both managed to set a hook into me today *>:(

Bob and Mike, glad to see that you got into them :D

Mickey_Thomas
12-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Mike, looks like you're sporting a couple of extra chins in this shot, must be the camera man ;) Freon, Dennis and HH3, wish I'd known you were out there, I would have called for a fish count ::) Freon, pic's, we need pic's ;D ;D ;D

Martinez Frank
12-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey Mike, looks like you're sporting a couple of extra chins in this shot,

There is only one Mickey ;D :D They broke the mold when he was born ;D :D ;)

clamkin
12-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Freon, we saw the same thing with the bite going on and off. We got 4 early, a lull so Mike could get in some beauty sleep, then 4 in rapid succession when we came across a honey hole. Went back to our morning spot late in the day and we had takers again, but we called it a day before filling the limits. I had a real nice jumper for my last hookup who must have cleared a foot and a half out of the water only to lose it at the boat.

Nice lake, nice fish, but man that place needs some water. The ramp as it sits is too shallow for me to attempt a solo launch.

Dennis
12-16-2007, 06:48 PM
The ramp as it sits is too shallow for me to attempt a solo launch.

I was thinking the same thing! Backing down the dog leg ramp is quite the challenge in the dark. Hope it rains most of this week.

freon
12-16-2007, 06:57 PM
That launch in the dark is brutal, but I have done it once this year, gotta go slow.

Mickey, you know if I had them, I would post them. we have to wait for HH to post them and you know that wont occur until after his beauty sleep ;D

B-RAN
12-16-2007, 07:03 PM
my dad went out saturday and got 5 :) he said it was a bit slow that day but ya i plan on making a trip this weekend with my buddie i want to show him how its done amador style ;D

hoghunter3
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Beauty sleep doesn't do any good at my age. Mick, We did have 14 with one throw back. Here the proof
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/MOF11.jpg

Did have a ton of laughs today. Dennis's line of the day. " I can't see because I'm trying to listen to you".

Someone also said "as old as you are I'm not sure a lifetime license is a good investment"

Just a couple examples of the thought provoking dialog today.

Fishing was spotty but we ended up with our share. Not too buzy for a weekend but lake sure needs water...

Pray for Rain!

PS At least Freon didn't get big fish honors today!

camotracker
12-16-2007, 07:26 PM
freon, looks like you got the short stick today. kinda like the photo. just the ahlf of you ;). oh well, i could just picture the bsing going on in the boat. congrats to a almost a limit for 3.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Westesq
12-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Anybody target holdover trout in Amador?

How would you go after them if they exist?

bitancor
12-16-2007, 07:53 PM
how big was the biggest out of the batch....just curious...But you guys make the hell out of fishing in a cold day...I wish I was out fishing...Last time was when i went out at Seco last week..No luuk+ dad's a jinx= 0 fish but tons of fun....I couldn't even catch cold.... [smiley=cold.gif]

clamkin
12-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Looking to add to the arsenal. What should be in the tackle bag to back up the grub setups at Amador?

freon
12-16-2007, 08:52 PM
freon, looks like you got the short stick today. kinda like the photo. just the ahlf of you
Yep Camo, just ahlf of me is in the photo as HH didnt cut the pixels by ahlf *;D

HH did win out the money today and then took off before we could pay him, what a nice buddy *:D
The funny part is that Dennis and HH had exactly the same weight for the big fish and HH caught a decent one at the end to pull it out.
I did have one decent fish on, but it snapped off pretty easy due to HH having a gnarly shredded leader *>:(
In all fairness though, it was probably due to me driving his lines over as many trees as I could find, for some weird reason, he snagged a lot today *;D
Best money I have lost in a long time :D

happydaddy
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Hit the water about 6:45 with my two neighbors Ray and John. Picked the first fish up about 20 min. later with a *J5 broken back and thought that it was going to be a good day. Boy was I wrong. About 1 hours later We picked up fish # 2 by Ray weighing in at about 3-4LBS Did I mention it was his FIRST fish in his life.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/6248/misc018bi8.th.jpg (http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=misc018bi8.jpg)

We ended the day about 4:00 with two for the hole day, just wasn't are day. Got to meet Dennis Thanks for the help At the ramp. Looks like Dinnis out with Hoghunter and Freon had a great day. *Nice Boat, I would love to have a boat like that. Good job on your hall. Wish we had half the day you guys did.

hunkfisher
12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
It did seem like it was abuse Freon day as Hog and Brad both managed to set a hook into me today

Now now freon i believe i got my fair share at the beginning of the day there buddy ;), had a great time out there today made a "fashionablely" late arrvail, kind of hard to go anywhere without gas in the tank. But Cuhogon was kind enough to pick me up and away we trolled, slow it was great day on the water thought had a great time out there, really need to buy that radio from phil, loved the banter out there. Heck i need to get a boat too. Ended up with two fish and two lost, rookie mistakes, Alan- i had a great time out there today really appreciate the boat trip and CC is the nicest dog i have ever met [smiley=odie.gif], thanks again!
Great day out there couldn't imagine anything better todo do today except get into more fish, oh well thats why they call it fishing! You all praying for rain its about to come this week, three systems are supposed to come through, shell muddy up but be fishable and bigger soon!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

freon
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
HP, it was me that you met at the dock and I grabbed your line, pleasure meeting you as well :D

happydaddy
12-16-2007, 10:06 PM
My Bad Sorry. Freon thanks for help I have to get that carb rebuilt. Next time I see you I would like to pick your brain and find out what I was doing wrong out there I through the hole takle box at them fish and I could not get them to bite. I gest it was not are day may be next time/

cuhogn
12-16-2007, 10:24 PM
it was me that you met at the dock

Pappy how could you get that wrong ;), if it's talking it's Freon ;D
Good day on the water with Hunkfish, it was to cold to fish early anyway Brad ::) ;D ;D, your welcome on my boat anytime. Great seeing Dennis Freon and HH3 with a lot of fun and laughs.

freon
12-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Now now freon i believe i got my fair share at the beginning of the day there buddy
What do you expect when you have bankers hours and you are a fisherman ;D
I wouldnt do that again with Alan, he is already grumpy in the morning :o ;D
You are indeed correct about CC, she rocks :D

We did have some great laughs on that water, even if we hadnt caught any fish, it still would have been a great trip (plus I wouldnt owe Hog five bucks, oh well, better to owe it to him than to cheat him out of it huh ;D )

HP, feel free to hit me up about info at any time, we all need info sooner or later ;)

Westesq, there are holdover trout in there, you need to go deep for them, they are the fish that you see down around fifty feet in a thick layer. Best luck that I have had is to run a rolling shad right on top of them. They are very lethargic down that deep though. According to the owner, when they go down deep like that, there is less oxygen in the water and they dont use as much energy, thus, they dont grow much either and arent real energetic to chase food unless they are real hungry and they are feeding on the shad by ambush. Hope that helps.

fish_lips
12-17-2007, 07:43 AM
I have caught a couple of over 10 lbs one was on a wooly bugger and the other was on a rapala.

hunkfisher
12-17-2007, 08:40 AM
What do you expect when you have bankers hours and you are a fisherman
I wouldnt do that again with Alan, he is already grumpy in the morning
Good day on the water with Hunkfish, it was to cold to fish early anyway Brad

I am never going to live this one down :P :D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Westesq
12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks, freon.

Anybody else chime in on Amador holdovers?

hoghunter3
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I thought Freon has an "Amador Holdover"

Westesq
12-17-2007, 10:24 AM
"Holdover" not "hangover," or did you mean freon is a holdover?

This is so confusing to a rookie.

Dennis
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Sure was lot's of laughs. *

We would have done better but we were either too close to the bank or two far away from the bank. * **
http://t4.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1448840467527&id=e0c1a5e8fc47162f f6a350e7a669c2a2 *CAW, CAW, CAW!

;D ;D ;D

happydaddy
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks freon I will be out there next weekend with My son and another little boy that has never been fishing be for so if I could find out what you were using. It would be great to get those kid with some fish. I will take all the info you are willing to give out about Lake Amador. Thanks

superT
12-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Freon , question: what causes you to believe that those fish we all see at the 30 to 50 ft. dept are trout? Why not bass? Please understand this is a sincere question, not trying to be a smart ass.

SplitTailfisher
12-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, i would be willing to throw in my 2 cents worth Happy, I think first off, are you banking it, or going to be trolling in a boat? Once we get that info, we can start there.

Splittail

YakMotor
12-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Got another soaking rain last night but comparing previous shots of this point shows very little rise in the lake level. *Thought I had a Sniffer in the viewfinder with a fish on, but after a wait to see a splash or a net I figure he'd just got hung on a snag. *This shot was taken at 12:30 today.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5434/sniffersnagged696my0.jpg

Weather guy says the storm door is open ... COME ON IN!

bitancor
12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
superT
I notice that also .....the fish were holding at mainly 30 feet when i was there about last week....I was trolling around the dam in circles but I couldn't get my line that far since the downriggers were at home...But I caught some off the surface....I used only 3 barrel weights tehn my swivel, 3feet of leader then my combo....that was weired...

hoghunter3
12-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Looks like Chapa you took the picture of Yak......

Martinez Frank
12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I am going to try Amador on the 24th, what size hooks do you guys use for the grubs?

hoghunter3
12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
2s and 4s light wire for me Frank

Martinez Frank
12-17-2007, 08:37 PM
2s and 4s light wire for me Frank

Thanks HH, :D

happydaddy
12-17-2007, 09:01 PM
"SplitTailfisher" I will be in a boat. I see one thing that I was doing wrong. I was using top line rigs. So I have to go deeper. I don't have a fish finder so I was fishing blind. I just bought this boat. I hope that I get a fishfiner for Xmas.( wife was looking over my should) With a fishfinder I can find them. Getting them to bite is a different story. If I can get info on what they are wanting I can get some good bites. With good bites I should land a few more than two.

B-RAN
12-17-2007, 09:08 PM
my dad went out today and got like 3 and lost 3 :-/ he got 2 hung up in the logs and lost a fiesty one that jumped out of the net >:( but im planning on going this saturday

freon
12-18-2007, 07:21 AM
ST, I think they are trout due to a bunch of facts. one is that I have purposely targeted them in the past and pulled some out, they wont chase the same stuff the new trout in the lake will, they are now used to chasing live bait. another is the fact that while bass will suspend, they tend to do that primarily in the summer and in the winter, they are holding fast to cover. Another is have you ever seen that many bass suspended at one time?
They are indeed trout, they are very hard to catch and are very lethargic.
Your best bet on that lake is to target the top five feet of water as the donaldson strain of cutbows are trained to hit strike upwards and on the surface for their food. That will only last for one season out there though and then when they dive deep during the summer, they learn to adapt down in the cooler water.
HP, those fish you saw that HH, Dennis and I caught were all caught on the top, dont go deep unless you want a very long day with very few fish.
If you are going to go deep, I strongly recommend using slow rolled fresh shad or a nightcrawler combo.

Westesq
12-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Planning to be on the water at Amador on Friday. *Have power grubs and eggs, a few Rapala j7s, and the gear to troll them on or near the surface - plus a few ball sinkers for experiments with deeper trolling. *Would you recommend bringing any scents? *Anything else in the way of terminal tackle a good idea for Amador?

Thanks.

clamkin
12-18-2007, 08:20 AM
"SplitTailfisher" I will be in a boat. I see one thing that I was doing wrong. I was using top line rigs. So I have to go deeper. I don't have a fish finder so I was fishing blind. I just bought this boat. I hope that I get a fishfiner for Xmas.( wife was looking over my should) With a fishfinder I can find them. Getting them to bite is a different story. If I can get info on what they are wanting I can get some good bites. With good bites I should land a few more than two.

HP, in a lake like Amador, quite honestly, a fish finder is nowhere near a necessity. I watched mine for a bit on Saturday, but when you come up on a honey hole, they'll just start biting and it won't necessarily be at the same time you're marking lots of fish. I would just fine tune the topline rig. The only thing we changed from what we started with Saturday was adding a small splitshot just after the swivel to take the rig down just a little more. With 100-120 feet out we were probably at 4-5 feet instead of 1-2. Personally I would be more interested in a GPS to monitor troll speed than I would a FF in a situation like that.

SplitTailfisher
12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
I would have to agree with clam, I never use more then a split shot, and try to stay in the top 5 feet as he said. The fish are feeding on the top 5 feet so that's where i target. Also, try to troll as slow as you can, and i typically troll 75 to 100 feet behind the boat. Also, change the color of your grub, if your not catching anything within about a hour, change it, there pretty picky on the color of the day. My favorite color is pearl white and also try putting a power egg on the eye of the hook, it helps leave a scent trail. and the last trick i will try, putting some krill scent on the grub. Hope this helps ya out happy, can't wait to see the pics.

Splittailfisher

superT
12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Freon, thanks for the reply. I like believing you're correct because if you are there should be some real whoopers down there. Maybe later when it warms up I'll target them, for now I'll continue working the top.

happydaddy
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Hay thanks clamkin and SplitTailfisher for the info I will be out there Sunday or Monday to try for more. It would be great to get the kids hooked up a few times. I love to see there face when they got a fish on. I will be at Fishermens Warehouse to get some more colors in the grubs It seemed that they didn't want the white. If all goes well I will post pics of two happy kids. Thanks Again Hope to see you guys out there.

freon
12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Personally I would be more interested in a GPS to monitor troll speed than I would a FF in a situation like that.

I agree 100% :)

if your not catching anything within about a hour, change it,

I have a hard time going fifteen minutes without changing something up and that is only cuz hoghunter is changing his every ten minutes and there isnt room to fit back there :( ;D
Change a lot, odds are real good, what works for two hours, wont work the rest of the day, but I have seen days that one lure worked all day. subtle nuances make the difference to those fish, like all trout.

As for scents, any trout scents work fine, anise, krill, powerbait trout scent etc.
They all work.

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
12-18-2007, 12:27 PM
went out yesturday with MrDasher and my brother we put 6 in the box missed a few and had a blast 5 of the 6 came on slow trolled grubs one on a BBR casted against the shore line. Bigest fish went 5lb 1oz and my brother landed. A big thanks goes out to MrDasher as we hitch hiked with him. Thank you again we had a blast and created a moment that we will look back on for years my brother hadn't been fishing in years. And i think i got him rehooked, now that he is of age to drink again the lure of drinkin all day and and beeing away from the wife out with the boys fishing is quiite good. Thanks for the tips on the lake dennis and freon.

SBF

Paddleman
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Nice job this past weekend fishing folks. This new storm should put some water in the lake. Raining pretty good where I live. Would be nice to see it raise up some.

B-RAN
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
let it rain :)

cuhogn
12-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Here's a few pictures from last Sunday's trip.

The "Big 3" fish catchers in the Duck, HH3 looking for schools, Dennis get the gear out, Freon talking, humm maybe that's why HH3 was up front ;D
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/big_3.jpg

Brad aka Hunkfisher hooked up with 1 of our few.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/B_hooked_up.jpg

Brad with half our catch.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/brad_with_fish.jpg

Dennis
12-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I am going to try Amador on the 24th, what size hooks do you guys use for the grubs?
Worm Hook straight shank light wire #2's Gama's

camotracker
12-18-2007, 05:19 PM

i will be there also. and maybe christmas if i can sneak out early enough. ;)

LEO

cuhogn
12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I will be there on the 24th also, see you guys on the water.

Martinez Frank
12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
sounds like a mini fest :D

freon
12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, since I have already done xmas with the kids and Lisa will be working on xmas, I should be out fishing and I will try and hit it with Lisa and Cuhogn on this saturday :D
Hope to see some of you out there ;)

SBF, no problem on the info, hope the new curtain climber is doing well, xmas should be a blast around your house this year :D

bowmasta
12-18-2007, 07:16 PM
*Camo... what this "mabey" going out fishing on Christmas.. first off are they even open Christmas day? , and if they are you better man up and meet me there *;D ... Let me know if you can make it or not, if you can then I can do a half day with you.

MrDasher
12-18-2007, 07:55 PM
went out yesturday with MrDasher and my brother we put 6 in the box missed a few and had a blast 5 of the 6 came on slow trolled grubs one on a BBR casted against the shore line. *Bigest fish went 5lb 1oz and my brother landed. *A big thanks goes out to MrDasher as we hitch hiked with him. Thank you again we had a blast and created a moment that we will look back on for years my brother hadn't been fishing in years. *And i think i got him rehooked, now that he is of age to drink again the lure of drinkin all day and and beeing away from the wife out with the boys fishing is quiite good. *Thanks for the tips on the lake dennis and freon.

SBF

SBF, *I had a great time out there with you and your Bro. *You guys are good people, and it would be an honor to fish with you guys at any time in the future. *Good luck in your adventures and tell your brother one purple heart is enough and be safe defending our counrty. *Here is a fuzzy pic if his bloody 5lber. Noah..
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1644/s4021323qu5.jpg

camotracker
12-19-2007, 05:10 AM
they are open year round BOWMASTA. plans are changing quick here. but i'll let you know. but 100% sure about the 24th. after the rain we are geting, should be a great day. hopefuly bt then the tree will be under water. yeah right ::) LOL see you all on the lake soon
tightlines,

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

fish_lips
12-19-2007, 07:48 AM
The lake is coming up!

Mickey_Thomas
12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
I wonder how much, we need Yak to take a trip with his camera :D

Dennis
12-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Yak's a night owl. We won't see him until around noon.

Mickey_Thomas
12-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I can wait ;) ;D ;D ;D

hunkfisher
12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
We got dumped on here in jackson lake level should have come up a bit i dont know how much but we definately got some much needed rain here in amador county

Brad "Hunkfisher"

joe_tomlinson
12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I can't find any data for amador as far as water levels and inflow and outflow. I guess its just too small.

Ranger07
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I can't find any data for amador as far as water levels and inflow and outflow. I guess its just too small.

"Water is up about a foot since last week."
Lake Amador is owned by JVID which supplies water to Jackson Valley farmlands. Farmers have priority over this water so it is important that this lake fills up. ;)

hoghunter3
12-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm sneaking up on Friday so I'll provide both a fishing and lake level report. (both good I hope!)

atavuss
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I plan on being there this friday, we will be in a 15' Gregor MX510. no radio yet though.

happydaddy
12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm sneaking up on Friday so I'll provide both a fishing and lake level report. (both good I hope!)

Good luck Hoghunter3 and atavuss

Does anyone know if they planted this week? Will be out there on the 24th.
Hope this ran puts another 3ft more. “COME ON RAIN”. I was out they last year in a monsoon and it was the best fishing day I have had in my life. I couldn’t keep the pole in the water. Can only hope far a day like that again.

Ranger07
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know if they planted this week?

*They planted today around 2:00PM.

fishinator
12-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I hope to be out there friday as well with my boy and Bruno, my river buddy. i hope the fish are slamm'in! Will be on the radio #69.

Fishinator

B-RAN
12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
im goin out this sat :) see yall out there ;)

YakMotor
12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
It takes a lot of coffee to stay up as late as I do, but I swear it's all made with "Crystal Geyser" and not a drop from the lake! But, darn, it's gotta be going somewhere!

Wish I could give a better lake level report after the recent front, but the change was small. I didn't check with the scope or take a photo of the point with the snags I've become familiar with. Didn't need to as the long distance view showed me they still look the same.

Only noticed a couple boats on the water this afternoon, but I was busy with a couple projects. First was an attack on my ant invasion. Thought I found where they were coming in and zapped it good, but doggone a few of the little buggers are still scouting around my sink!

The other project was installing a weather station. Got it done and am now ready to give you an inch by inch update. Moments ago it registered a wind gust of 18mph coming from the south east. I'm anxious to see how the rain gauge works ... BRING IT ON!

tyeroflies
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey Yak, get some Chinese chalk and draw a line around where the ants are marching and they will die and vanish from your house. *Not sure if there's something special in this chalk vs. regular chalkboard chalk but it sure works *;)

yonnr2000
12-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I launched at 8:30 am this morning, trolled with 3" pearl grubs with a chartuese power egg. One grub had the wiggle fin. After launching I made may way towards Doney Bay. In the first hour I got 4 take downs on the grub with the wiggle fin and one take down with the plain grub and egg combo. Nothing stuck, so I had no fish in the boat. I made it all the way to the back of the bay with just one more hit one the pearl grub with the wiggle fin and still no fish. On the way out of the bay I put out a 2" firetiger grub with charteuse power egg which was hit almost immediately and I was able to land my first fish. While trolling out of Doney bay I caught 5 fish. 3 with the 2" firetiger grub and chart. egg, and 2 with the 3" pearl grub, chart. egg, and wiggle fin. It was just after 11 am and I was happy with a quick limit. I trolled out of doney bay, went over to the spill way, then by the dam, and then to the boat house. Not even a hit! I decided to call it an early day and headed to the launch were they just planted. I could see tons of fish but they didn't take anything I was offering. I met HellsAngler at the dock as he was going out and had a pleasant chat.

Tally:
3"pearl grub,chart egg: 1 hit no fish
3"pearl grub, chart egg, wiggle fin: 7 hits two fish
2" firetiger grub, chart egg: 3 hits 3 fish
power mouse: no hits, no fish (1/2 hour of trolling)

jdog1023
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Nice report yonnr. Hope to join you out there soon.

Jdog

StocktonDon
12-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Good report. Hitting it Friday. Will post.