PDA

View Full Version : Topaz Opener Questions

Captain Compassion
12-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Are we talking combat fishing here or will there be room to spread out? Do you have to get down to the lake and claim a spot hours before dawn? I honed my combat fishing skills at Crowley openers at North Landing in the 50s and 60s. Just want to be prepared.

CC

hunkfisher
12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Dont worry CC ill bring the big guns
[smiley=boxing.gif] [smiley=bricks.gif] [smiley=fencing.gif] [smiley=guns.gif] [smiley=helmut.gif] [smiley=helmut.gif] [smiley=helmut.gif]

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

fish_feeder32
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey cap every time I go to this lake I can find a good spot with out any problems any time of the day. But this year more people are talking about the lake than last. I like to fish from the california side if you have a 4 wheel drive you can save your self a walk to some of the better spots. I also fish from the douglas county park on the nevada side. I try to key in on the spots that a long gradual slope under water. I always catch more fish on those spots. Hope this helps you out some. By the way I am leaving today at 4 pm to go to gardnerville to work for a couple of months on my grandfathers ranch. And was wondering when you will be going back out to some of the locale lakes. I dont have access to the net up there. And I would like to meet up with a fellow sniffer and learn some of the tricks to fish those lakes. I have been to ICR a couple times and never realy done to well, and was wondering what I was doing wrong. ;D ;D. 8-)FISH_FEEDER32

troutfan
12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Topaz on the opener is total combat fishing. *Alot of guys will set up bar on shore at the North end and commence to drinking heavily. *I have seen some pretty amusing scenes at Topaz over the years. *Anybody that says they have no problem finding a spot has never been there on the opener. ::)

troutfan
12-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Remember the fish derby that goes until April. *They have a cash prize for the biggest fish of the week and they have *a bunch of fish with tags that are worth between $50.00 and $1000.00. *So if you get a fish with a brightly colored tag in it take it to the Topaz General store. *Any fish over two pounds will get you some cash.

Captain Compassion
12-15-2007, 04:48 AM
Remember the fish derby that goes until April. *They have a cash prize for the biggest fish of the week and they have *a bunch of fish with tags that are worth between $50.00 and $1000.00. *So if you get a fish with a brightly colored tag in it take it to the Topaz Lodge or the General store. *Any fish over two pounds will get you some cash.

Big good tasting trout and money too? Sweet. 8-)

CC

danmcmartin
12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
How's the situation for launching boats? It is chaos? I was thinking of waiting for a week or two before I ventured out, especially considering I will be taking a new boat. I would hate to work out the kinks on a busy ramp.

troutfan
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
It will calm down quickly after the opener but the first day is a zoo at the Marina and the State Park ramp.

troutfan
12-17-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm wondering if the lake has iced up at all. *With these warm storms any ice may have melted but I've walked on that lake in January. *So if anyone is out that way check the lake and let us know and if I find the time I'll check it out and report back.
Thanks,
Troutfan

Captain Compassion
12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm wondering if the lake has iced up at all. *With these warm storms any ice may have melted but I've walked on that lake in January. *So if anyone is out that way check the lake and let us know.
Thanks,

Haven't been down that way lately but just after Christmas I'll go a take a look.

CC

troutfan
12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks Captain! :)

wolfden
12-18-2007, 05:28 AM
When is the opener??

Captain Compassion
12-18-2007, 08:34 AM
When is the opener??

January 1.

CC

CHICKFISHING58
12-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I can honestly say I have never fished topaz maybe Iíll have to try her out ;)

danmcmartin
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM
We drove by Topaz on Saturday the 15th on the way to Coleville for my son's basketball tourny (they lost in the first round in overtime) :(

Anyway, the lake looked ice free and it is warmer now than it was then.

wolfden
12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
So it opens on January 1.Doesn't it straddle the CA-NV border??
If so can you fish the whole lake with a CA license or do you have to stay on the CA side or can you also fish the NV side with a CA license??

troutfan
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info Danmcmartin! Wolfden You can fish the entire lake with either license just like Tahoe. The states have a cooperative agreement. You still have to display your license when using the California license on the Nevada side.

Captain Compassion
12-18-2007, 07:07 PM
So it opens on January 1.Doesn't it straddle the CA-NV border??
If so can you fish the whole lake with a CA license or do you have to stay on the CA side or can you also fish the NV side with a CA license??

A California license is good for the entire lake as is a Nevada license.

C

Captain Compassion
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the info Danmcmartin! *Wolfden You can fish the entire lake with either license just like Tahoe. *The states have a cooperative agreement. *You still have to display your license when using the California license on the Nevada side.

But I don't have to display my Nevada license?

CC

troutfan
12-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Nope! *If you have a Nevada License you must follow Nevada regulations on the entire lake and the same for the California license.
The only difference in regs between the two states is the requirement to display your California license above the waist.

Captain Compassion
12-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Nope! *If you have a Nevada License you must follow Nevada regulations on the entire lake and the same for the California license.
The only difference in regs between the two states is the requirement to display your California license above the waist.

My Nevada out of state is good to March. I may have a California Licence by Jan 1 with a 2 rod stamp. If not I'm still covered.

CC

wolfden
12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
I have never fished Topaz but I am going to go for the opener, any info on bank fishing spots would be greatly appreciated. Up here the fishing has been slow around Frenchman and I am going to head a little south and fish Topaz on the opener so I will be a topaz newbie and any info would help.

Captain Compassion
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I have never fished Topaz but I am going to go for the opener, any info on bank fishing spots would be greatly appreciated. Up here the fishing has been slow around Frenchman and I am going to head a little south and fish Topaz on the opener so I will be a topaz newbie and any info would help.

The Captain is certainly not an expert on Topaz. I've never been never been to an opener. I had some success last spring near the county park on the Nevada side. Unless I get a better idea I will open down from the trailor park on the California side. There is lots of room and a fair dropoff and access from the road. From what I can see areas closer to the marina have access problems due to private property. Perhaps Troutfan will help here he's an oldtimer here.

CC

troutfan
12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
The turn out past the bug station is a good spot and further south can be good too. They seem to do good early in the year on the North end and at the Park. On opening day you need to get there early because it is crowded.

wolfden
12-19-2007, 05:44 AM
So who will out fishing from the bank on the opener??
Maybe I could hook up with a "veteran Topaz sniffer" early that morning and they could show me where and how to fish that lake??
Fishing up here has been slow and Eagle will be closed so I would like to find another lake to fish and Topaz looks to fill that void

Captain Compassion
12-19-2007, 09:09 AM
So who will out fishing from the bank on the opener??
Maybe I could hook up with a "veteran Topaz sniffer" early that morning and they could show me where and how to fish that lake??
Fishing up here has been slow and Eagle will be closed so I would like to find another lake to fish and Topaz looks to fill that void

The Captain will be fishing the shore most likely with one or more other Sniffers. You are more then welcome to join us. None of us are experts here but what's to learn? Float Powerbait or inflated crawlers off the bottom and hope that something hungry cruses by. Maybe toss a Kastmaster or two. I'll do a recon trip after Christmas. The lake is 1/2 hour from where I now live. I will post more info as the time approches. PM me if you want to go.

CC

Captain Compassion
12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
The turn out past the bug station is a good spot and further south can be good too. *They seem to do good early in the year on the North end and at the Park. *On opening day you need to get there early because it is crowded.

Early? Define Early. 2:00 in the morning? The day before and camp overnight?
CC

troutfan
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Unfortunetly I usually show up about 4:30 or 5:00 and I find a nice spot but those late comers show up park right next to you and proceed to cast right over you. You will need patience on opening day. ::)

Captain Compassion
12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Unfortunetly I usually show up about 4:30 or 5:00 and I find a nice spot but those late comers show up park right next to you and proceed to cast right over you. *You will need patience on opening day. ::)

4:30 ain't so bad. As I have said my combat fishing skills were honed by 12 years of Crowley Lake openers. Hear that Bod, Hunkfisher gotta be there early and ready to fight. 8-)

CC

BreakofDawn
12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Yup! I got my chain mail polished lined with a flanel and my sword sharpened and ready to fight some bows!!!!! ;D ;D

danmcmartin
12-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I may launch my pontoon instead of my aluminum boat on the opener...if I go. I'm not into combat fishing. On the California opener in April, I go golfing. Besides about 5 weeks later Hinkson Slough opens. Thats where I spend most of my spring.

If I am there, I will cruise by. I know CC's truck now.

Troutfan, the weather looks to be getting cold again, but mostly above freezing during the day. If I make it over the little hill between Holbrook and Topaz next week I will post up an ice report.

troutfan
12-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Troutfan, the weather looks to be getting cold again, but mostly above freezing during the day. If I make it over the little hill between Holbrook and Topaz next week I will post up an ice report.
It is most appreciated. Thank you! :)

nvtroller
12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Ok, you guys, call Chuck fields at the Topaz Marina for a water level update and fishing and launching suggestions. He owns the Marina and launch has a bar and sells the fishing gear that works well at the lake. The number there is 775-266-3550. Chuck is honest and will not mislead you about fishing or launching, he also raises some trout to a pretty nice size and does a release program and takes donations for the food for the fish. They open real early on the opener. I understand the ramp costs at the topaz marina and the county ramp have gone up to $6.00 this year, cheap in my opinion. The Walker river irrigation district is just finishing working on the diversion wall just up from the lake where the walker river comes in after having the water diverted for about 4 months and the lake level is very low. launching is possible at the south end from shore but, you sure have to watch the rocks and stuff. lots of little (dirt roads) going down to the lake, but get out of your car or truck before just drivng down some are nasty coming back out. This year with the water level so low there should be lots of room for everyone fishing from shore. It is something to experience tho. I will be talking to a fellow angler who is going to drive by the county ramp at the northeast side and will gladly post for you what he says about how it looks for launching. If I go out on the water I will give ch69 a call and see if any sniffers are out there, may not make the opener tho. good luck.
troller

troutfan
12-21-2007, 07:43 AM
From a boat (dependent on the weather and if you can launch due to the low water levels. Note: The Topaz Marina boat launch is not operational at this time): Troll along the shoreline on the far side of the lake or near the rocky point by the Douglas County Campground or go right down the middle of the lake. Nevada Appeal
If this is accurate the Park ramp will really be crazy on opening day! :-? ::)
http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20071220/OUTDOORS/274453536

Captain Compassion
12-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Ok, you guys, call Chuck fields at the Topaz Marina for a water level update and fishing and launching suggestions. *

Thanks for the info.

CC

Captain Compassion
12-21-2007, 08:30 AM
I may launch my pontoon instead of my aluminum boat on the opener...if I go. *I'm not into combat fishing. *On the California opener in April, I go golfing. *Besides about 5 weeks later Hinkson Slough opens. *Thats where I spend most of my spring.*

I'll would like to try Hinkson again. It's he first place I fished last spring when I moved back to Nevada, Alas it is a place best fished from a toon or tube.

CC

untalan1
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I'd like to know if the whole lake is open on Jan. 1 to shore fishing.Thanks

troutfan
12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I'd like to know if the whole lake is open on Jan. 1 to shore fishing.Thanks
There are areas near the marina that can't be accessed from shore because it is private property. There is no fishing allowed within 100 yard radius of the marina.

dkesner
12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
when is the opener??

Mr_Ed
12-21-2007, 10:33 AM
dkesner;

please see reply # 36

nvtroller
12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
The entire lake is open to fishing on Jan 01 with either state license. *You must have permission to be on private property shore line areas. they are usually well marked. If you are by a house the land below it to the water line is usually private. *lot's of open access so there is really no problem finding an area to fish. The game wardens are very busy on opening day. The shore anglers have always in my 48 years of fishing topaz caught the bigger fish - no contest there. *I still troll cause that is what I do. Good luck to all of you anglers. hope this helps.
troller :)

troutfan
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
As I've stated previously, you can use either license anywhere on the lake and that includes the two-rod stamp. * If you have a Nevada license you do not have to display it anywhere on the lake. *Fisherman need not be concerned with any state lines on this lake. *The cooperative agreement between California and Nevada says that all regulations that pertain to the license you posess are honored by both states on the entire lake. *It just makes sense:*It would be difficult to enforce regs on one side of the lake or the other. *http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/24_31.pdf
http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/index.shtm

Captain Compassion
12-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Please do not print derby information without permission from the administration of the Sniffer. MM

danmcmartin
12-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I didn't think the lake looked that low. Maybe I am just used to seeing it that way, but it seemed I have seen a lot more shore along the road to the state park on the north side. Mind you it isn't high, but not real low either. That doesn't mean it might not be hard to launch.

GCinGV
12-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Launching can sometimes be a problem when itís really cold and several trailers have pulled in and out. Gets a good sheet of ice going on the ramp and the more boats that launch the worse it gets. Can be tough to get back up the ramp even with 4wd sometimes once it ices up. Iíd launch early on the opener.
GC

nvtroller
12-22-2007, 06:59 AM
My friend drove to the county ramp and he said the water is very low and he suggested calling chuck at topaz marina 775-266-3550 and ask about launching conditions for some first hand info the day before you go. You folks have a great time on the opener!
troller

troutfan
12-22-2007, 07:17 AM
If you catch one that has a brightly colored tag in the dorsal like the one in the picture run don't walk to the Topaz General store because you just made some bucks! 8-) ;) *This one was worth $500.00! :o
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5598/img0443500x375zy5.jpg
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5870/img0441480x360mk9.jpg

untalan1
12-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Do you think your chances are better at catching one of those money fish bank fishing?

troutfan
12-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Do you think your chances are better at catching *one of those money fish bank fishing?
Yes, although chances of catching one are remote because there aren't that many. *This time of year the trout are rather sluggish due to cold water temps and they seem to bite better when they have time to inspect and swallow a still bait, is my guess. ;) *Twenty-eight years of fishing Topaz has shown me that in the winter shore fisherman have a better chance of catching some good fish than trollers but there are no absolutes. Trolling seems to pick up in April when the water starts warming up.

Topaz_Tom
12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
We took the long drive (5 minutes) :) from our house to the lake today to check out the water level and boat ramps. Topaz Marina below the Lodge is so low that I don't think you could even launch a small aluminum boat. The county ramp is launchable, but there is no dock in the water right now and very shallow and rocky around the shore line to pick up somebody. There is a dock there out of water that I'm hoping they put in before opening day. I am friends with the guy that runs the county park and will find out next week if they're putting their dock in. If not, we will be joining the shore fisherman. Also just bought our Non-Resident California license - $104.20 plus $12.10 for the second rod stamp. Ouch!!! :'( One way or the other we will be there, I have not missed an opener in 19 years, even during the "97 New Years Flood, I was the only boat on the lake for that opener. :D

troutfan
12-23-2007, 12:24 PM
You were out there on opening day during the flood? :o *I was on shore watching without any poles in the water thinking,"boy I hope that guy makes it out. *I remember there were like mini-tornadoes touching down on the water. *I spent the next three days sand-bagging. *I hope this deep cold snap we're suppose to get doesn't freeze the edges of the lake for the opener or I'll be home watching bowl games! ;D ;D *Good luck out there Tom.