PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Derby

garrett_s
12-09-2007, 06:03 PM
how many of you will be their?

B-RAN
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
i am :) but you better watch out im comin with last years winner ;D he ended up catching the 2 most biggest fish ;D 5 and 7 pounders so watch out for me ;)

89_invader
12-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I will be there as well. Wont be ther til sunday though. The fish never really seem to bite as well on the first day as they do on the second day. Just don't cast at me as i iwlll be in my tube. Good luck to you all.

BadAschFishing
12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Id like to go 8-)

notenufffishn
12-10-2007, 03:59 PM
When is this deby?

89_invader
12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
DERBY IS AT RANHCO SECO. GATES OPEN AT 6 AM

cgagex3
12-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Saturday & Sunday see

Post edited by Troutfan
Allow me to take a moment to explain the Fish Sniffer policies regarding the posting of events. In order to make the viewing of this web site and these posts an enjoyable easy to access venue, the Sniffer has adopted a policy of not having events listed on their boards. This policy prevents these boards from filling up with the 100's of events that happen on a monthly basis. We understand the importance of your event but if each person was allowed to post what is important to them the boards would soon become unmanageable. The Sniffer does want important charity and fish preservation events to be listed on the Fish Sniffer. That is why we have an event calendar on the Sniffer. The Sniffer openly invites you to submit your event and information for revue to the Administration by contacting Deborah at: deborah@fishsniffer.com. *

The Events Calendar is at: *
http://www.webcreator.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.pl *
Thank you,
Troutfan

Mr._Striper
12-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I just may take my little guys out there in the boat.

cgagex3
12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry Troutfan, just trying to answer a question with the link to Smud instead of typing it all out.
I wasn't even thinking about posting an event that would belong on the calendar or doing anything against policy or I would have just typed out the date & times.

CG

troutfan
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
No need to be sorry. I'm just letting it be known what the sniffer policy is. You can ask if anyone is going and what works and such but when you get into the prices and prizes and a contact that constitiutes the announcing of an event and the sniffer says that's a no-no! ;) :)
Have fun at the derby! :)

89_invader
12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Had no idea about that but it does make sense. hey there striper. It would probably be a better idea to take your kids out on the bank. They will have a better time and the fish usually stay about thirty feet from shore. it is a small lake and would probably be a litle less stressful for you as well without having to deal with all those inconsiderate people on boats. They seem to forget sometimes that its about having fun, not being an a**. Well good luck and will see everyone out there. I wil be on my tube. But will be away from all the other people and be back in the other coves. If you ever need anyone to go striper fishing let me know. I have a boat as well but no one really to go with.

cgagex3
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Very good advice, I will be out in my bright yellow pontoon, but do watch out. Depending on the weather it can get crowded but it can really be a lot of fun for the little ones. Mine is almost thirteen and a girl who is way more interested in horses right now than fish (thank god it isn't boys). Under 16 and they can enter the derby for less money, but hey if they catch the big fish it can always be fun to turn it in anyways (just to make fun of us older guys).
I am pretty sure that I will go this year just for the fun of it, I have fished Pardee so combat fishing at Seco is nothing.
CG

campngolf
12-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking of taking the tandem kayak out with my oldest, but dang, it's gonna be COLD.... [smiley=cold.gif]

CG, I think they have a kids division for the derby but the prize money isn't as much.

At least they'd better have a kids division. Otherwise there ain't no way my son is goin' just to watch dad catch the monster and win the $$$. ;)

Mr._Striper
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Had no idea about that but it does make sense. *hey there striper. *It would probably be a better idea to take your kids out on the bank. *They will have a better time and the fish usually stay about thirty feet from shore. it is a small lake and would probably be a litle less stressful for you as well without having to deal with all those inconsiderate people on boats. *They seem to forget sometimes that its about having fun, not being an a**. *Well good luck and will see everyone out there. *I wil be on my tube. But will be away from all the other people and be back in the other coves. *If you ever need anyone to go striper fishing let me know. *I have a boat as well but no one really to go with. *Thanks for the info there 89. I just found out that I wont make it out after all. Its more likely for the better, I dont do well with crouds ;).

Im down for going striper fishing. As long as its "ok" with the misses :-[. I did go out the other day and got 16 stripers at the port from the shore, and took the boat out the next day and only got one :-[. Sometime the shore fishing in my eyes is better than boat. Send me a "PM" a few days in advance when and where you want to go so I can butter up the misses.

n2trout
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
My daughter asked me to take her to this derby. She is 9 and it has been over a year since she wanted to go fishing. Power bait under a bobber the best bet? What lures work best? She likes to cast and retrieve. Keeps her busy while waiting to hook up. I would really like to hook her up. The more action I can get her the more likely she will start fishing with me again. She gets bored with trolling right now so a bunch of action from shore should be right up her alley. I assume it will be really busy out there. Will I have a hard time getting us a spot if we don't show up until 7 a.m. Any tips is greatly appreciated. It's been over 10 years since I visited this lake. Thanks ! :)

89_invader
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Had no idea about that but it does make sense. *hey there striper. *It would probably be a better idea to take your kids out on the bank. *They will have a better time and the fish usually stay about thirty feet from shore. it is a small lake and would probably be a litle less stressful for you as well without having to deal with all those inconsiderate people on boats. *They seem to forget sometimes that its about having fun, not being an a**. *Well good luck and will see everyone out there. *I wil be on my tube. But will be away from all the other people and be back in the other coves. *If you ever need anyone to go striper fishing let me know. *I have a boat as well but no one really to go with. *Thanks for the info there 89. I just found out that I wont make it out after all. Its more likely for the better, I dont do well with crouds ;).

Im down for going striper fishing. As long as its "ok" with the misses :-[. I did go out the other day and got 16 stripers at the port from the shore, and took the boat out the next day and only got one :-[. Sometime the shore fishing in my eyes is better than boat. Send me a "PM" a few days in advance when and where you want to go so I can butter up the misses.

I hear you about the miss. I have been able tto go out and fish for the last three weekends in a row and she has not said a thing. I get to go this weekend as well to. Don' know what it is but it is scaring me. And you can enter anyone in the derby. THey just have to have a license if they are over 16. good thing for your daughter lliking horses. I have a baby due in may and hope that it's a boy because i don't want to deal with boys and all that stuff.

89_invader
12-11-2007, 07:44 AM
My daughter asked me to take her to this derby. She is 9 and it has been over a year since she wanted to go fishing. Power bait under a bobber the best bet? *What lures work best? She likes to cast and retrieve. Keeps her busy while waiting to hook up. I would really like to hook her up. The more action I can get her the more likely she will start fishing with me again. She gets bored with trolling right now so a bunch of action from shore should be right up her alley. I assume it will be really busy out there. Will I have a hard time getting us a spot if we don't show up until 7 a.m. Any tips is greatly appreciated. It's been over 10 years since I visited this lake. Thanks ! :)

Power bait with about a two foot leader with a 1/4 oz weight to get it out there. you only need to get it out there about 30 feet. If you are going to use a bobber then get anight crawler. Kastmasters work well out there. But the best thing by far is a clear bobber with a 5 foot leader and a fly. Kills them. Good luck to you. And watch out for me. I wil be in my tube.

89_invader
12-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm thinking of taking the tandem kayak out with my oldest, but dang, it's gonna be COLD.... [smiley=cold.gif]

CG, I think they have a kids division for the derby but the prize money isn't as much.

At least they'd better have a kids division. Otherwise there ain't no way my son is goin' just to watch dad catch the monster and win the $$$. *;)

It will be cold but is might be raining on sunday for a little whille. I was out there in that wayter for 6 hours at a time the last three weekends and the only thing that got cold was my hands becasue I forgot my gloves. As long as you have some neoprene waders ou should be okay. If not thenjust layer up really good underneath. See you out there.

takinNames
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Are they planning on planting again out at Rancho Seco before the derby because I know guys who have been pulling limits out everyday for the past two weeks.

I caught limit this past Sunday out there.

happydaddy
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I have been wanting to fish this lake for some time but would like to know a few things, like can you put boats in there (gas or elec), cost , how big is the lake, and can you camp there? I tried to find info on it but have not had any luck. Any info would help Thanks

cgagex3
12-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Happy,
The lake is run by smud and they do have rv sites and camping. Look around on their website under recreation at smud.org and you should be able to find all the camping & lake info. It is a decent sized lake and they do allow boats, not sure on the motor regs because I just use foot power on my pontoon.

Campngolf,
I am sure they are still running the kids seperate not sure on the age limits.

CG

happydaddy
12-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Hay thanks Campngolf for the info I will go to smud and check it out hope to see yopu out there. Good luck and fish on!

n2trout
12-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info invader. Good luck out there. :)

hunkfisher
12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Get ready for some close quarters guys....... [smiley=fencing.gif] [smiley=fencing.gif] [smiley=fencing.gif]

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

gills
12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Possibility I may be out there Sat.. By the way Rancho Seco is an ELECTRIC ONLY Lake they wont even let you in the gate with an outboard on the back F.Y.I.

I fished there last Sat 12-8 for 3 trout in about an hour using my Amador specials...

Gills

Mr._Striper
12-11-2007, 03:23 PM
If I do get the chance to go out this weekend it may be out at folsom for some trout or the port for some stripers :-/

MinnowMagnet
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I will probably be there ;D

89_invader
12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
WOW! where did you get those fish? Those are some nice ones buddy. I will watch out for you. good luck to you.

cgagex3
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Boy with minnow magnets prowess for the big fish I sure am glad he has to enter the kids division. ;D

CG

89_invader
12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
And yes they do only allow electric. That is why the lake is still so clear. If anyone is coming from sacramento south area and would like to car pool I could fit two. I will be leaving my house at 4am sharp. If you would like to go and save some money let me know. I will pay the way in plus 5 bucks a head for gas. Let me know. I will be driving a dodge ram quad cab so there is plenty of room.

MinnowMagnet
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
WOW! where did you get those fish? *Those are some nice ones buddy. I will watch out for you. *good luck to you.

shadow cliffs

cgagex3
12-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey 89 don't leave to early, I don't think they open the gate till 6am.
Looks like I am actually going to do this thing again. Well I am ready, let's see a sniffer win this one on both levels adult & juvenile.
I say game on.

[smiley=fencing.gif]

CG

B-RAN
12-11-2007, 10:06 PM
man after this weekend that lake is going to be all fished out :(

hunkfisher
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
No there will be fish in there no worries, they stock it every day during the tourny if i remember correctly plus once a week till the end of the month and then whenever the DFG gets some in.

CG- Game on indeed, goodluck gentlemen

Guppy-Pull out one of those 7/8 pounders you seem to be famous for

Brad "Hunkfisher"

garrett_s
12-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Guppy-Pull out one of those 7/8 pounders you seem to be famous for

Brad "Hunkfisher"

i think you mean minnow magnet
i have never caught a trout that big. the biggest one i have ever caught was 5 pounds

garrett_s
12-12-2007, 06:55 AM
oh yeah i will also be there saturday

89_invader
12-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I know they don't open til 6 but I want to get in line. There will be a lot of people waiting. I want to get my spot quick. I usuallyfish the other side of the lake in the coves but will probably start off on the firing lines. I don't think that the lake will be all fished out either junkie. There is a lot of fish in that lake and they do plany a lot of fish. I have actually caught trout there in the summer time. You just have to go deep and be patient. It's not like now though where you can just see them every where. It will be a good time. AFter this weekeend I think i will turn my attention to amador and camanche. And maybe take the boat out for some stripers!

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't think that the lake will be all fished out either junkie. *There is a lot of fish in that lake and they do plany a lot of fish. *I have actually caught trout there in the summer time. *You just have to go deep and be patient. *It's not like now though where you can just see them every where. *It will be a good time.

ya thats true :) ive had trout in the summertime snap at my spinnerbait. but other than that does anybody know who plants rancho ?

garrett_s
12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
i decided and i will be their sunday
who else is going on sunday

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
im gonna be camping for the weekend so you can count me in ;)

cgagex3
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Guppy,
I guess that depends on Saturdays results, the derby is both days. I may hit it both if the weather is nice and my legs still work Sunday morning when I wake up after kicking around the lake all day Saturday.

CG

MinnowMagnet
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Where are some good shore spots for powerbait, any other tips on shore fishing there? Thanks 8-)

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Where are some good shore spots for powerbait, any other tips on shore fisheg there? Thanks 8-)

by the dam ;)

MinnowMagnet
12-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Where are some good shore spots for powerbait, any other tips on shore fisheg there? Thanks 8-)

by the dam ;)

where by the dam, i've never fished there before?

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 06:38 PM
go all the way down the rocks until you get to the second dock

MinnowMagnet
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
do you fish on the 2nd dock?

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM
well i usually dont i fish the 1st dock. but a lot of people catch catch the winning fish by that dock. but i heard that they plant on the day of the derby. so im not sure how good we are gonna catchem' :-/

MinnowMagnet
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM
which ones are the 1st and 2nd dock, A or B. What are some good rigs or baits? Thanks ;D
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5574/spotym7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

B-RAN
12-12-2007, 07:07 PM
its dock b ;) we went about 3 weeks ago and kastmasters are the ticket

garrett_s
12-12-2007, 07:49 PM
i have seen many fish caught at the launch ramp by dock A

cgagex3
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
MM,
I like it back in the coves just after the dam where the ramp dock is listed. Also just past that on the grass in front of the restrooms. There is also another fishing dock not shown about where the "p" on ramp dock is at by your b set.
As far as bait, PB, PB eggs (usually white) power worms, gold kastmaster and by far the best I have ever done has been on black, olive or black & olive wooly bugger on clear bobber set up with a 4 to 5 ft lead.
They tend to run in schools along the shore so they will be all over you for 10 minutes then leave for a while, then they come back.
I will probably be kicking around the coves in my bright yellow pontoon.

Good luck to all, lets see a double sniffer win this weekend.

CG

garrett_s
12-13-2007, 06:46 AM
one of you guys win the adult division,and me and minnow will work on the kids division

B-RAN
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
one of you guys win the adult division,and me and minnow will work on the kids division

haha your funny :D im going with last years winner and he knows the spot everytime we go ;D so watch out for me. just keep a lookout for 2 people in a 12' klamath ;)

garrett_s
12-13-2007, 03:32 PM
hey fishjunkie do not run over me in my floatube ;D

camotracker
12-13-2007, 03:36 PM
it's going to be like combat fishing out there [smiley=fencing.gif]. good luck out there guy's and gal's. crazy [smiley=guns.gif]

fishinator
12-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Hey Guppy, when you see that 12' klamath just throw a line to the back and troll along ;D then you can be in the secret spot as well.

fishinator

cgagex3
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Fishinator,
I like the way you think. That is why I always have my 50 ft rope with a grappling hook attached to it with me on my pontoon.
In the brochure they called it an anchor but it is very small and light and you throw it pretty far.

;D

CG

campngolf
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Fishinator,
In the brochure they called it an anchor but it is very small and light and you throw it pretty far.
;D
CG
Sounds kinda like the anchor I have on my yak. ;)

Dang fishinjunkie, it looks like you might have a parade behind that Klamath. ;D

EGs_finest
12-13-2007, 06:54 PM
which ones are the 1st and 2nd dock, A or B. What are some good rigs or baits? Thanks ;D
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5574/spotym7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Hey Guppy, my favorite rig for fishing from shore that I use is a. * * *
water bobber filled up half way.
size 10 swivel
4-5 foot leader (i prefer 4lb. test)
size 16 treble hook
*put a small split shot about a foot above hook and then a piece of powerbait or power egg and I usually do pretty good with that rig out there.
Oh by the way I be there in my pontoon. Last year I took 1st. in the kids divison hope to do it again this year. This year will be my last year in the kids division. Hopefully I'll end it with a BANG!!! ;D

MinnowMagnet
12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry, I won't be able to make it this time :'(, but I'll be at the next one, Good Luck ;D

garrett_s
12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
we will probably start of on the bank and if there is no action we will be in our float tubes

cgagex3
12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Well Minnow to bad you can't join us. There is another derby at seco in March so keep an eye out.
CG

YakMotor
12-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Thought this Google Earth image would be helpful for those that haven't been there. *It's been my experience that most of the action comes near the planted areas but have heard of some success toward the back of the lake. *Gets REAL shallow in the back coves so there is more weed growth there too.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5103/ranchosecolakefrmgooglefa7.jpg

I used to go to Seco a lot a few years back when the underwater weeds seemed to lay down in the winter. *Now it seems like they stay thick even through the cold weather. *I haven't been this year so don't know for sure what it's like. *Casting out bait with a sliding sinker (in my opinion) is not going to work well in the weeds. *Bait set to float above the weeds under a bobber is good and a casting plug with a wooly bugger fly is also very good.

Good luck to all and I hope to see pictures of Sniffers who win bragging rights ... oh yeah, and the trout too!

fishinator
12-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Well guys, I hate to spoil the fun, but I won't be making it this weekend. Too crowded for me :-[ BUT, Gills and I will be there tomorrow morning *[smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] I'll try to leave a few fish for you guys this weekend.

Fishinator

B-RAN
12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
thanks for the info yakmotor ;) i wasnt sure if they planted the two areas or not. do any of you guys know who plant seco ?

garrett_s
12-14-2007, 06:21 AM
thanks for the info yakmotor ;) i wasnt sure if they planted the two areas or not. do any of you guys know who plant seco ?
dfg and lake amador

B-RAN
12-14-2007, 07:46 AM
at 3:30 i will be leaving to seco ;D me and a couple buddies are gonna camp there and fish the trout derby :) good luck to all and happy battling ;D

takinNames
12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
If the past couple of weeks is any indication then it is going to be a war zone at Rancho Seco.

There was a guy in a small inflatable buzzing the bank fisherman lines like 30 feet from the shore.

I saw two guys whip castmasters at him.

I really think they should consider making it kids only.

gills
12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Hit Rancho Seco Friday in the boat!!!
Yielded one fish all day between myself Fishinator and my Neighbor.. Very tough day, searched the whole lake for fish from about 7am till about 1pm Good Luck to you all doing the Derby.. I will not be out there either day...Only fish caught by second boat launch about 1pm hit on a white grub with a lime green power egg and Pro Cure Trout...

Gills

garrett_s
12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
sorry guys :'(
i will be going to amador instead of rancho seco

bitancor
12-15-2007, 05:05 PM
So how was the derby today....... ;D....Any luck...I hope someone will post something about bagging up a nice 10 pounder plus their limits......

cgagex3
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
No 10 #er today, I did see a couple of nice fish bagged but it was actually kind of slow.
I was hanging in my pontoon at the south ramp from about 6:15 this morning. Only saw a few fish caught, I caught a couple smaller ones, not derby worthy.
The truck showed up and dumped a bunch of fish at 10:30 off the ramp. You should have seen the swarm (of people not fish). Even after the dump it was slow fishing. I had to take off around noon but i only saw a handful caugh in the hour and a half after the dump.
Maybe tomorrow.

CG

campngolf
12-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Yup, it was REAL slow today. Me and #1 son launched the kayak at 6:45. Saw one kid land a fish just as we launch at the first boat ramp. We hit most of the lake over the next 4 hours and only saw about 5-6 fish landed. We cruised by "combat cove" (the south cove) about 30 minutes after the plant around 10:00ish and man was it crazy!!! Elbow to elbow but not too many tight lines.

We tried woolybuggers, chart. PB, nightcrawlers, blue/silver KM's, white Power Eggs and a few other things. Nothin' worked.

We did see a nice school cruisin' at the far eastern end of the lake but they weren't interested.

Good luck to the Sunday bunch.

bitancor
12-15-2007, 07:05 PM
:)so about how much did they dump today....I thought they would plant before the derby so that action would be good...were their alot of people.....

campngolf
12-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I believe they planted some yesterday (Fri) also.

pinoy
12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
They planted Friday evening, again on Saturday around 10 AM and they'll plant again Sunday around 10AM so there should be plenty of Trouts to be caught. Good luck to all. ::)

takinNames
12-15-2007, 11:12 PM
That is what I try to tell guys it normally takes 48-72 hours before stocked trout really start biting. I think it is the shock of the transport and the fact that they are fed right before that fact. I have went out 3-4 days after the derby and caught double limit limits for two years straight. Last year I caught 13 on a Wednesday after the derby. I think they should plant heavy on a Wednesday before the the derby and by that Saturday and you will have way more fish caught the days of the derby.

gills
12-16-2007, 07:24 AM
I totaly agree whith you T N the should plant like on Mon thru Wed before the derby.. I would estimate Rancho Seco to be hot like Monday thru the Week.. Go Get Em Sniffers!!!!!

White pearl grubs w lime green power egg & Pro Cure Trout.. Hot Item !

Gills

B-RAN
12-16-2007, 04:30 PM
just got back from seco :) alot of people said it was going to be a warzone and they were sure right. we satrted sat. morning at 6:00, we ended up fishing the first dock as you come in. the bite didnt realy kick up till about 8:00, i lost 3 right off the back >:( my buddie (the winner of the last derby) ended up catching a little guy. not much after that :-/
this morning we were on the water by 6:00 again, we went to the same place and 10 mins. in to it my buddie catches a little guy again :) then 5 mins. later he hookes up into the big one :o with about 7 runs we had it in the boat in 5 mins. ;D went back and weighed it....4.54 lbs. :o wich got him in first place ;D then we went back and by that time the trout truck came and man was it crazy as hell!!!!!! there were lines going everywere and people were getting tangled left and right :-/ (i had let my buddie on the dock previously before they dumped the trout) my buddie was the first to hook up again ::) by then i was thinking jesus crist he is a beast ;D then more and more people hook up. and my buddie gets another one, i couldent belive it he always amazes me :D we weighed the 2 fish and they both were 3.66 lbs. we called it quits after they schooled somewere else :-/ my buddie ended up taking 1st place (again) this will be his second seco derby in a row :o

89_invader
12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Well junkie, you are right about the war zone. I was on the other ramp fishing in my tube and fly rod and there were a couple of people catching them from shore with bait, but no flies or anythign else. I was out in the middle and catching after another. They were just nailing my fly! Everyone was in the throat. They were schooling up in the middle hitting the dead bees in the water. Got to use my new fly it's called a jensen minnow in shad color and oh my god!! For you guys out there that fly fish this fly is a must have in your box. These fish were trying to take this minnow out of each others mouth. Got hooked up three times in one cast and finally landed one. My three buddies were from shore and using the classic bubble set up and nothing. Not even a hit. I think that this week will be really really good with all of those trout they put in there and there are some bug ones! Congrats to your frined on another victory. See you on the water.

Mr._Striper
12-16-2007, 05:24 PM
just got back from seco :) alot of people said it was going to be a warzone and they were sure right. we satrted sat. morning at 6:00, we ended up fishing the first dock as you come in. the bite didnt realy kick up till about 8:00, i lost 3 right off the back >:( my buddie (the winner of the last derby) ended up catching a little guy. not much after that :-/
this morning we were on the water by 6:00 again, we went to the same place and 10 mins. in to it my buddie catches a little guy again :) then 5 mins. later he hookes up into the big one :o with about 7 runs we had it in the boat in 5 mins. ;D went back and weighed it....4.54 lbs. :o wich got him in first place ;D then we went back and by that time the trout truck came and man was it crazy as hell!!!!!! there were lines going everywere and people were getting tangled left and right :-/ (i had let my buddie on the dock previously before they dumped the trout) my buddie was the first to hook up again ::) by then i was thinking jesus crist he is a beast ;D then more and more people hook up. and my buddie gets another one, i couldent belive it he always amazes me :D we weighed the 2 fish and they both were 3.66 lbs. we called it quits after they schooled somewere else :-/ *my buddie ended up taking 1st place (again) this will be his second seco derby in a row :o
Congrats to your friend. Good job.

camotracker
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
so that means if you all had a slow day. this week should be the time to be out there then. they'll be hungry, instead of being dizzy. but i'm hearing lots of rain. bring on the rain gods. just my 2 cents

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

pinoy
12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Fishjunkie which division did your buddy win? 16 and under or over. What was the winning weight on the other division?

B-RAN
12-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Fishjunkie which division did your buddy win? 16 and under or over. What was the winning weight on the other division?

he won the 15 and under. hes 15 :) but he still would have won the 16 and over if he was 16 his fish was the biggest out there

1969glasspar
12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Do you happen to know what the winning weights were for the adult group, cause I left at 230pm and was in first at the time with a fish at 4.60#s. I would like to know how I placed. Are the results posted somewhere?
Thanks guys the tension is killing me!!!!!!!

bitancor
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
What up with all those bee's ......I remember last week I saw about hundreds of them in the water...Where did they come from...

FishGone
12-16-2007, 08:13 PM
I was out there today in my float tube from 6:30 to around noon without a bite. *I was hoping to see some of the kids on the bank catch some but never did; tough fishing today. *
I saw a dozen guys all jammed together on the first boat dock, pretty funny stuff but I guess they caught fish so the jokes on me... ::)

bitancor
12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah sure is funny..... ;)...But that sucked for them....Are you kidding ,,,not even a bite huh...I though everybody was at least fighting one today...Yeah that does kind of stink..But anyways Christmas is comming soon and the rain is too.

hunkfisher
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I think i am going to have to go hit seco this week maybe friday if the rain is done with it, but seco stays clear not matter what so hopefully those trout stick around! Great job sniffers in the tourny!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

bitancor
12-16-2007, 11:03 PM
pinoy ...i sent you a PM....check it out....

cgagex3
12-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Brad,
Don't worry there will still be plenty of fish left. A real disappointment vs my last try at a derby. Between Sat & Sun, 13 hrs of fishing time and only 3 fish. I saw some fish caught, and a couple of nice ones. All 3 of mine were in the 2 # range so I let them loose. Hooked one nicer one yesterday afternoon in the back of the cove but he came out of the water and shook off after about 3 or 4 seconds.
Unlike Pardee where they school up and rove in packs these guys seemed to spread out. I sometimes think the fish at Pardee strike less out of hunger and more out of being agitated by tight quarters in the loop around the island.
Oh well it was still a fun time. I wish I had taken my camera on Saturday, when they dumped at the south ramp dock there were so many people crowded in shoulder to shoulder that I thought the dock was going to sink. It would have been a great picture of true combat fishing. There had to be at least 40 people on that little dock.

Cg

takinNames
12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I decided to fry up some of the trout that I had caught out at Rancho Seco and ended up throwing all of it out. The flavor was metalic sort of like liver but not in a good way.

I had made sure to bleed the fish and put them on ice right away after catching them but it did not seem to help. Has anyone else notice this?

Mickey_Thomas
12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Rancho Seco "nuke" flavor? :D

kooter
12-17-2007, 02:47 PM
I will not eat fish that are planted there too mushy at the time they plant . if i can not release them back i will marinate them and smoke them until there very dry like beef jerky.

bitancor
12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
yeah that distinctive taste is not pleasing to my taste buds.......

89_invader
12-18-2007, 07:40 AM
thas funy because I had some of those fish as sell and I bbq them and they came out tasting just ike chicken. But trying to reheat the next day. Forget about it. Big mush ball.

Mickey_Thomas
12-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Are there any results to the derby? Biggest fish? who won? how the sniffer's did? ::)

bitancor
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
anybody go lately......how was it this week....i might go on friday...i'll see....or duck hunting with my uncle....huh..........that's kind of hard to choose...

B-RAN
12-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Are there any results to the derby? Biggest fish? who won? how the sniffer's did? *::)

my buddie won the kids with a 4.54 :o but im not sure about the adults :-/

żżż
12-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm going to try to make it out there tomorrow AM. I'll post my results if I get to go. :)

Catch22
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Wish Rancho Seco would publish the results, but every year it seems its just the word of mouth to find out where you placed. Tough fishing this weekend unless you were lucky enough to be on the dock when they were planting. I saw the 4.54lb fish, legit catch pre-plant-truck, I was even there in the boat when they planted, ashamed to have said, "well if that's what it takes might as well join them." Luckily didn't catch one in the madness, not sure if I could have felt right about it, not sure if its much different from one that's been in a few days, but doesn't sit right with me.

I turned in a 4.26 Saturday morning, hooked trolling an Apex at 6:30 in front of the dam. As for the rest of the combat zone, had 3 lines cut Saturday afternoon fishing off the bank with the kids, guy in a raft with an electric motor wasn't watching where he was going, when I yelled to watch out he instead speeds up right through the lines. Also camped there over the weekend (only way to beat the 6:00am race into the park), which was cool except for a tackle box stolen in the middle of the night, I hope you enjoy the jar of powerbait and a few bobbers, you missed my box with all the gear!

All in all think I'm done with the derby, it was fun and so easy to do with the kids over the weekend, but the negatives outweigh any positives.

cgagex3
12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Catch22,
It's to bad about your experience, this was only my third try at the derby out if the seven since I moved to Galt (twice a year). The funny thing is the camping would make sense but I was there Saturday at 6:10, big line I had three cars in front of me. And my wife and I were there at 6:05 on Sunday with one car in front of us.
The March derby is much more busy but when the sun doesn't come up until 7:45 there isn't much reason to be there when the park opens at 6.
I thhink hte biggest problem this year was planting the Mt. Lassen trout on Fri, Sat, & Sunday for a weekend tourney. The fishing was a lot slower than the March derby, I will chalk that up to the 50 degree water temp and the 32 degree air temp, maybe it just slowed them down.
The March winner was int the 8 # range and I saw some of the fish they dumped in. There are a few 8 # fish still swimming around Seco that were just not derby ready last weekend.
Now I just have to decide between Seco and the afterbay at thermalito for steelies this weekend. :-/

CG

Denny1969
12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
anybody go lately......how was it this week....i might go on friday...i'll see....or duck hunting with my uncle....huh..........that's kind of hard to choose...

I was out on Monday morning until noonish. *It was rough fishing. *I landed 2 and LDR'd 1. *The guys from the shore were doing better than the guys on watercraft. *I was in a tube fly fishing for them. *The two flies that worked for me were olive wooley buggers and sheep creek specials. *If you are going to fish later in the week, I think you will do well. *Most fish should be out of the shock mode by then. *

Denny

B-RAN
12-18-2007, 08:39 PM
im goin out there tommarow after school gets out :) i think i will do fairly well :-/ i hope.

campngolf
12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Good luck FJ. Let us know how it goes.

hunkfisher
12-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Looking foreward to the reports i am going to head out on Friday for a few hours in the morning, banking it probably in the south rec cove, they usually stock it with trophies through the end of the month then start up again in feb with the big boys, anyone know what time the gate open at seco on a regular day?

Brad "Hunkfisher"

89_invader
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
they open at 7. I think I will be out there as well. Look for me in the float tube. good luck.

1969glasspar
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I won!!! Just got the 100$ check in the mail from smud.This is definately the first time I have ever got paid for fishing. So now we know that the winning fish was 4.6lbs for the adult tourny.Rock on definately going back for the spring tourny.

striperkid
12-20-2007, 02:36 AM
I won!!! Just got the 100$ check in the mail from smud.This is definately the first time I have ever got paid for fishing. So now we know that the winning fish was 4.6lbs for the adult tourny.Rock on definately going back for the spring tourny.

congrats its always a sweet day on earth when a sportsman gets paid doin what he loves...

and the winning setup was....??

garrett_s
12-20-2007, 07:22 AM

SWEEEET!! :)

żżż
12-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Congrats 1969glasspar! *Any pic's of the winning chunker?

Went out yesterday afternoon. *Just a few guys working from the bank here and there, and a few guys floating in their tubes. *Any sniffers make it out? *There was this one dude in a tube that was belching up a storm. *C'mon man, fess up. *Who are you?!?!! ;D

It was a slow day all around. *Only saw one fish taken the entire time I was there (from about 1:30 - 4:30). *I had two nibbles on chartreuse powerbait and orange power eggs, and that was it. :(

I really need to get this skunk off my back....

Catch22
12-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Congrats, just came back from the post office, missed a certified letter yesterday from SMUD, was thinking something bad, not even remembering the Derby. 4.26 was good for 5th in the adult tourney, the $25 going to replace the stolen tackle box, the daily pass for the spring tourney...naw, but maybe one last trip to squeeze the most out of the 2007 license :)

1969glasspar
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
unfortunately thier are no winning pics on the fish, it looked pretty beat up anyhow , the fins were all torn up and the meat was all brownish, definately an old fish. Anyhow the only thing we caught fish with was the jay fair trolling flies, looks alot like a olive green colored wooley bugger. After fishing all day I tied on a fly with a few split shot about 18 in from it and caught to fish in like thirty min. and my buddy caught one that went 4.22 lbs on a fly as well in that same time period, I don't know if he placed yet though.Anyhow I guess flies pulled over weedbeds pretty fast with a few jerks every few cranks is the way to go over there.

1969glasspar
12-20-2007, 05:28 PM
turns out my buddy took 6th place with a 4.22 pound fish so the competition was pretty tight.

żżż
12-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Because of you I went and bought a couple dozen black and olive woolly buggers. >:(

Now hopefully because of you, I'll start catching trout at Rancho Seco. :D

Congrats and thanks for the tips. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1969glasspar
12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Yah I just went and replenished my stock as well, hope they work for you.

bitancor
12-21-2007, 07:53 PM
today i caught 4.....good size ones.......hot ticket for me was green pb set up....

bitancor
12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
any sniffers that were there today......saw an old guy about mid 60's -70 years old who had some bad luck today just after 30 mins of fishing...yeah his battery blew up or something because there was a big hole in it...when he said that his battery melted right of him,,,he wasn't kidding...then he loaded up the plastic boat and forgot to tie the boat off to the trailer....i ran to the guys boat and grabbed theline in the wtater so it wouldn't go away...then his trolling motor fell off the boat and was in 3 feet of water.. :'(.was an unlucky day for him...but i talked to many anglers and they seemed to be nice except for some rude old guys >:(...they wouldn't share their dock next to the boat launch...only 2 people and there was so much space left...yesterday about 6 guys including my dad, bro, and myself shared the place..then these two guys think they own the place...i was so pissed off...truly they do not exhibit sportsmanship behavior...what is neat about fishing for me is catching fish, getting away from the house, and meeting new people..whats so ironic is that you meet the whole crowd from there being open minded guys who will talk to you and share their stories and others being an a## hole( please excuse my french) ;) .......i choose to be one of those guys who talk to guys and share the spirit of fishing....well all in all today was an alright day,,,the wind died downn after luch so that was a real pick up....yup....thats to sum up my great fishing moments as of today....

fishpeddler1
12-21-2007, 10:30 PM
headed out there myself for the first time today in the kayak. saw a Bald eagle sitting in a tree above me and then he took flight to the far end of the lake, like 500 yards, and nailed a small rainbow and headed back to eat. talk about awsome eyes! other then that it was slow fishing until the fish truck arrived and dumped it's load at the south end. I was all packed up and ready to leave so I just watched the crowd bang each other up on the dock for awhile. Thought that I saw Hunkfisher there earlier sporting the white shades? you left before I got the chance to say hey. hope you did better then I did.
I wasn't expecting the water to be so clear out in the middle, or have such a abundance of underwater vegetation. it gives all the indications of being able to support an aggressive fishery, but I didn't see any signs of fish out there. ??

gills
12-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Bitancor!!!
You are the man, cant begin to tell you how good it makes me feel that you helped the guy out .. We all need to look out for each other at times cause you never know! you may be the one in need..

I usally run into pretty good people at Seco but then there is those you wave to and they just ignore you like they didnt see you but you know they did see you.. Anyways keep up the good work....

Gills

89_invader
12-22-2007, 08:23 AM
well sounds like for the most part fishing is still pretty good out there. They should keep up the planting as well for a couple more months. There is another derby in March. After that it gets kinda hard. Then pardee opens in february and that is always a good time. I will be out there tomorrow morning for a little while so maybe I wil see some of you out there. good luck and lets make sure we keep it fun and clean and help where we can. Happy holidays.