PDA

View Full Version : How to polish an ab shell for the wall

CaptSalmon
03-28-2009, 07:34 AM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/medium/image03.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/medium/image3-3.jpg

* *Pictured above is a completed ab shell & two salmon lures, plus all the equipment I used to make the polished ab shell and lures. *The real secret for those of you who want to try it, is the 3 metal cutting disks you'll see on the left side of the bench grinder. *Those disks dramatically reduce the mount of time you need to smooth out an ab shell. *The regular med. grit wheel is for the fininshing work. *The dremel tool, when you put on a small carborundum wheel, will let you get at the small spots that the bigger grinder can't do. *After all the grinding, a good soak for a minute or two in Hcl will finish the job. *Thoroughly wash off the shell after you take it out of the acid bath. *A coating with lacquer will finish the job. One note of caution, use ab shells that have few to no small parasite holes, because the ones that have them won't polish worth a darn.
If you want to go on to making lures, go to my profile & *E-mail me, I'll give you the complete low down. *I have to admit, those lures look great, and work even better.

metalmouth
03-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Beautiful work as always Capt. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

It should be noted that breathing the dust that's created while grinding and polishing may be very harmful to your lung health. As CaptSalmon usually notes, always wear a respirator when doing this kind of work. *;)

Farrier_Frank
03-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for that post, Captain. A fishing buddy of mine still has some ab lures his grandfather made decades ago and they still work great; not only in salt water but fresh water as well.

CaptSalmon
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Here's one more VERY IMPORTANT part, do your grinding outside on a windy day, because divorces can be expensive. MM is quite correct, use a respirator when grinding ab shells, I do. The dust isn't corrosive, but it can really clog up your lungs and make breating very difficult. When you take such lures fishing be sure to spray them with a UV reflector because it makes the lure many times more visible to fish. I also use mini sardine hootchys and some scent. Put every thing in your favor that you can.

Fish_R_Us
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
For the acid etching, I've used muriatic (pool) acid mixed 50/50 water and let the shells soak overnight. A quick clean with a stiff wire brush is needed before the acid bath. It is probably a weaker molar solution that your HCL solution. All safety attire is still needed (gloves, face shield and maybe respirator) because the acid is still strong after dilution. All the stink, small parasites, plant materials and interior green is dissolved away. A quick wipe with some Mop n Glo floor wax will bring out the color and let the irredescence shine for years. I also agree that the ab dust is very hazardous to your lungs (and your pets too).