PDA

View Full Version : Melones 12/15  Three bonus fish!!!

kokemachine83
12-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I had the honor to fish with a Joe Fish of Joe fish guide service. We headed up river again. Started a little further above the Parrots Ferry Bridge. Got to my favorite place to turn a round and only had three fish. Worked the area for a little while for a couple more. Then heading back down towards the 49 Bridge. We picked a few more. We got into Carson cove and guess what we hooked? Yes, three kokanee. Guess thats why it's call the KOKE MACHINE!!! We ended up with a total of 10 trout and 3 kokanee. Want to thank Joe for his company. All fish were released again except the kokes. Good luck to all and to all tight lines!!!!
Lures: Apex's (Gold and Copcar)
Scents: Shad and Krill Gel
Speed: 1.3 to 1.6
Depths: Surface to 20'
Fish: 10 rainbows and 3 Kokanee
Happy holidays to all. Probably taken the rest of the year off.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Fish_Bully
12-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Nice report Robbie. I have been plying Melones waters lately but haven't hooked any kokes. I see you kept the kokes, are they good eating right now? Remember, I'm a novice when it comes to kokes. Thanks for the report and Happy Holidays Robbie.

Flip

cptdarel
12-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Sweeeeeet ;)

kokemachine83
12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey Flip, those koke we caught are going to be next years fish. Really bright silver and two were 12" and one was a little over 13 1/4". looks like we are going to have another great kokanee season up there, next year. Would have liked to see the pimped out ship you now own!!! Keep in touch!!! Robbie

fishguts
12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Was up there today also. A few at Carson with LDR's early on and then up to Parrotts ferry for Nada but we didn't go that far up, tried mormon for zippo. Thought I heard you Robbie on the radio but it was scratchy due to range. Saw some nice bucks roaming around just below the sage brush line.
Was in my friends NR today also, he's still learning his electronics and stuff and seeing how the repairs to his kicker turned out. His recent trip to
Eagle , someone had backed in to his brand new boat and damaged the kicker. Not even a love note left behind.
We did great keeping them pesky critters off the line. It was fun being the passenger for once instead of the operator.

kokemachine83
12-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Fishguts, We also saw over 30 deer up river too. The BIGGEST buck we both have ever saw was on the hill facing east along Carson cove. Looked to be at least a four pointer on one side. Look like it was twice the size of the three does he was with. Joe said the same thing. "nice to have someone else do all the work" We both had a great time!!
Robbie

fishon18
12-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Robbie,

I tell Greg the same thing, "it's nice being the passenger for a change on a boat with side curtains and a heater"! Good report as always, and I will be heading up that way sometime next weekend. Take care...

Scott

B-RAN
12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
nice fish man ;) 3 bonus fish are always good ;D

DuramaxDan
12-17-2007, 03:17 AM
There must be something with the kokes.We picked up one 14 inches saturday along with one nice rainbow.We fished up the river between the two bridges.Nice lake you guys have down there I hope to come back soon and learn more about it.

kokemachine83
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
DuramaxDan, I think we saw you heading up river on Sat. You guys were more out in the middle and we were hugging up tight against the bank. Just past the 49 Bridge. How many fish did you guys end up with. If you need any info on Melones just PM me. I kind of think of it as my Home Lake.

Robbie (Koke Machine)... Blue NR

DuramaxDan
12-18-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks Robbie.We did see you against the bank so when we got up to the second bridge we turned around and hugged the bank like you were doing and ended up with 2 and a couple of LDR's.

TroutWagon
12-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Nice report robbie - you are the koke machine, even in the dead of winter your reeling them up. good job

talk to you soon

Rich

CODIII
12-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey guys this is probably a stupid question but what does LDR stand for

Thanks and nice job Kokemachine.

Bent Pole

Martinez Frank
12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Long Distance Release ;)

CODIII
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
;D ;D thanks

SuperDave
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I've fished New Melones just over a half dozen times now and was wondering why the fish tend to be on the small side. The fish Mickey and I caught last week all had full tails and were miles up the river arm. Out of 20 fish, 16" was our biggest fish. Thought some of you resident guys might be able to inform me.

sloteke234
12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
16" ain't bad...but there sure are much bigger ones in there. I have been lucky enough to land 7 rainbows over 4 pounds in the past 2 years. I stick tight to shore and rocks...and I mean TIGHT. And contrary to the big lure=big fish mentality, they have all come on small offerings. Keep at it and the fish will come.

kokemachine83
12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Usually around the middle of Jan. up river you can catch some really nice rainbows. Last year we caught fish up to 5.7 lbs. I know a lot of guys roll shad for some of the bigger ones. Also have a great chance of catching a BIG Brown. There in there, you just have to move around. Some times up against the bank or just right out in the middle. I have great luck with Apex's in the Cop Car color. Smear some Pro-cure Shad Gel on the bottom side. Not to much it will mess with the action. Normally the top 20' will do.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Fish_Bully
12-18-2007, 06:52 PM
I agree the lunkers are caught during the winter months. Also, the large browns tend to be caught a tad deeper than most troll in the winter. If the "report" announces fish are in the top 20' you will need to be down in the 35' range for the big browns. Shad, shad, shad!!! Rolling shad is a favorite. The next three months should be great at Melones so good luck.

Flip