PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle on Thursday

Globetrouter
12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Well this is my first post. Thanks for all the usefull information guys! I have learned soooo much. Now down to bussiness..I am taking tomorrow off and going to Del Valle from 11 till close. Looks like I will be there in the rain. There is the question. What is the best aproach for fishing in the rain for Trout. I'd also like a couple of tips for the Stripers as well (if the Trout don't want to play). You can PM or post on the board. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

P.S. I will be in my 14' Valco.

troutfan
12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Welcome to the boards Globe trouter and I hope you do well out there tomorrow. ;)

tragedyspring
12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
use mini crawlers and a orange/red wedding ring for trout(pro cure shad gel) Theyre hot hot hot right now too, with even more fish on the way from the ebrpd. I figure from now until it gets really cold and nasty in february fishing should be really good for trout. To catch an easy limit of planters- troll the shallow area on the other side of the marina to the long pipe coming down to the water from the higher trail. and vice versa on the other side. I was trolling just out of casting range of the bankies.HAHAHAH (very close to shore)

use a red slingblade and a large nightcrawler(whole) about 14 '' behind for stripers(troll a little faster too).Use a larger hook like a #2 If you know del valle go through the narrows till you get to the first large bay on your right thats swallow bay- troll the entire bay and surrounding areas about 25 ft deep. I kept catching them there last sunday and had to actually leave and try somewhere else for trout, they were "wasting" my worms. >:( be forwarned- most of these stripers were shakers at 12-14 inches. I did catch one nice one about 20 inches a few days before on friday after work- I let it go - it was caught on the wedding ring setup in front of the marina.

good luck and let us all know how you did. Ill be there probably saturday morning 7 am

LJ
12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
If it is not too windy I would try a night crawler behind a spinner at 5 ft. or so to start with , and I would troll slow. Hopefully it will be cold ,and some of those big ones will come to the surface . If you have to you can adjust your depth , but in the rain I usually don't have to go very deep. Let alot of line out to get your rigs away from the boat. if you have a side planer you can put one out on the surface with a set a mini flashers and a night crawler ,that works well in the rain sometimes. Personally I would go the dam, but I am stubborn and have always had luck out there by the dam. Some of the guys on the board have been there recently , they probably know more where the fish are right now than me.

Globetrouter
12-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Well guys, the report is in! In a word WET! With that a side it was a slow day over all :-[. We threw all we had at them and came up with only two planters by the dam. I'd say between 1-2lbs each. Fished from 10:30 to about 3. Only a couple of other boats out ( at least I wasn't the only wet dog out there) and I heard one boat did well. No details though. Alas I have figured out that I am not a great fisherman, but a fairly decent guide. It seems all I take out do well but not me. I even hear my 7yr old son talking behind my back saying he is a better fisher man than I. Well still a great day on lake over all. Until next time!

Kris

P.S. No pics too much rain to take out the camera!

Old_School
12-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the report and welcome to the boards.
I'll be out there tomorrow for the first time in a month or so.
Hope it picks up.

fishreaper
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the update. Del Valle wont let you down long. *The bite should be on after all this rain. * [smiley=skull.gif]

fishmaster
12-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Stick with it, you'll get into them soon!!

JPFX
12-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Don't feel bad. Del Valle is one of the many, many lakes I have gotten skunked at, so If you caught 2, you did alright!

Woody
12-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Globetrouter welcome to the board. Delvalle is a great fishery but at times like most other lakes it can really turn off. I have been fishing D/V for the past 30 yrs and have only been skunked maybe ten times. One of those times was last weekend but as already stated this rain should help things pickup. Keep it up and just remember kids and wifes will almost always out fish you.

I will be there Saturday morning.

See you on the water
Woody

tragedyspring
12-07-2007, 08:42 AM
ill see you on sat woody- look for the red lund- probably be by myself. Question: has anyone tried the shad from wal mart that comes in the sealed bags? would they work for trolling trout?

thanx chad

Woody
12-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Chad I haven't tried them but I have looked at them before. If I was going to try rolled shad at Del Valle I would stop at the AM/PM on South Livermore ave. and pick up some frozen shad.
The chances are that if you trolled with shad at D/V you would catch more stripers then trout.

See you Saturday morning. (Don't forget they don't open until 7am now)

I don't have a VHF in my new boat yet. but I will be in a 21 ft blue North River with a 250 yamaha.

Woody

Globetrouter
12-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all of the support guys. I have caught fish at DV in the past and I love it when people I take (specially my kids) catch fish. It not always about me getting into fish just enjoying the company and the environment. I won't give up. Its all about the hunt.

Thanks again! 8-)

tragedyspring
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks for the input woody....what is/are the best baits for targeting the king salmon? Should I just use my koke gear with some anchovy or herring scent? If the trout fishing is slowed down, I might go to the dam to try for some salmon. See Ya CHad

c-swirl-sean
12-07-2007, 07:52 PM
What channel on the VHF?
Ill be out in a 20' alumaweld, Ill have the radio on.

Also, I have an open seat if anyone is interested in joining. Give me a ring tonite or in the AM.

Ill be dropping in at 7am.

-Sean
408-591-6359

Woody
12-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Chad I have never actually went after the salmon in DV although I did catch a couple of them last year while trolling Rapalas they were only about 6" to 8" long. I would probably try a nickle / blue or Nickle Green dodger and a paddle tail or a Kok-a-nuts or a hoochee skirt. If the trout aren't biting I might join you.

See you on the water.
Woody

tragedyspring
12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
look for a mexican looking guy driving a red aluminum lund, may have my cousin with me. Lookin forward to meeting a few of the sniffers here. yes its ch 69 on the VHF. if ya got one. ;)

johnbfishin
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
So now I have to go hook up the boat?....see you guys out there.
The SmokerCraft will be on the water. 8-)

Woody
12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
see you out there John the bite has to turn on one of these days

See you on the water
Woody

johnbfishin
12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm hooked up, loaded and ready go. The more sniffers the better. 8-)
I was just looking for a reason to go fishing. ;) ::)

tragedyspring
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
allright! whos next? whos next? ;D

Sprudel
12-08-2007, 02:03 AM
Been skunked there several times from bank and boat - it's a big lake - but then again I've caught my biggest trout there, and saw a 22 pound trout in the parking lot that some dude caught... a 22 pound rainbow trout!

fishmaster
12-08-2007, 08:15 PM
The salmon will hit whatever your throwing at the trout. FIshmaster junior caught this 3lb. 9oz. salmon at del valle last year trolling a chartreuse rapala F5 longlining.The colder the water gets the better chance youll have to catch one. If I remember right the water was barely 50 degrees when he caught it. http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/justins_salmon.JPG

tragedyspring
12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
That is one nice looking fish! THAT is what Im after.......he caught it by the dam?

Old_School
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Fishmaster,
Did fishmaster jr have any weight on that longlined j5 when he caught that salmon?
Great fish!

fishmaster
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
No weight just longlining 125ft. behind the boat. It was actually caught trolling the shallow end of the lake shortly after they filled the lake up last year. Most of the salmon I have caught out of del valle have come out of swallow bay trolling 15ft of water along shoreline.