PDA

View Full Version : lake natoma

dave_in_el_dorado
12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
hope i'm not wearin out my welcome on dumb questions, but i'll move forward anyway.......

what's up w/ lake natoma? *this is another water body local to sac area that should be holding some awesome fish. *i've heard of a 17 lb rainbow (RT) coming out of willow creek area some years back.

years ago (early 80's) i fished alot under old rainbow bridge and caught some nice RT, not 17 pounders, more like 1 to 3 pounders....still great fish with great color and good eating. *thru the late 80's and 90's i was out of area and since coming back have never gone back to fish there. i've never trolled the lake by boat and now have the opportunity to do so. *

is the negro bar boat ramp going to open anytime soon? *has anybody here actually fished this lake for trout and have any comments?

thanks,

Buz4Bas
12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Every time I fish that lake I say it's the last time, and I think I have finally convinced myself ;D

Good Luck * Buz

dave_in_el_dorado
12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
;D *ok buz.....comment noted *;D

guess i asked for that *;)

ric1ric
12-04-2007, 03:14 PM
There have been two state record fish come out of there.

dave_in_el_dorado
12-04-2007, 06:14 PM
hi ric, please elaborate.

i heard of the 27 pound state RT record, what's the other?

wasnt the 27 lb RT caught by a guy chucking a rapala from shore up by rainbow bridge? the 17 pounder i referred to above was reportedly caught by a kid the same way down by willow creek in (i think) 1995.

i remember how tough that lake is to fish, but dont it go something like...as the goin gets tough....the tough get going, no risk no reward, no pain no gain......o.k. i know, its alot easier to fish amador after a plant...it'd still be cool to figure out something productive on natomas.

cocktail hour, see y'all.

hookeyjaw
12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I caught a 10.5 pounder there this last june, trolling a silver and black rapala upriver very slowly(just past rainbow bridge). There are still some big fish in there. Ive seen 10+ lbs cruising the shoreline from november until march. As far as I know negro bar is closed for launch ramp improvments, but willow creek is still open. I would double check though before you get your boat down there.

LordRooster
12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I've fished lake natomas a couple times from the shore witih powerbait and have done alright with a couple bows about 12 to 14in.

I've never seen anybody out fishing below rainbow bridge, is it still legal to fish there? Looks like there's some nice spots from the shore to throw lures from.

hopevalleyfisher
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
ive fished it and fished it and fished it. The only time I caught fish, i caught a 8" rainbow, a 9" bass and a sqawfish???, all in 10 mins one day out of the many Ive spent there. I got them all on the same firetiger rapala trolling around the island near that dock that isnt negro bar. Ive had better luck in the back shallow coves catching monster crawdads. People say theres big fish in there, but I guess thats why the lake produces "fish of a lifetime"- you gotta spend your life fishing there to get one.

hellbent
12-05-2007, 07:02 AM
They are all sitting above the cable gorging themselves. I have caught many fish up to 12 lbs and I check the release times for Folsom dam. When they start pumping water the fish stick to the sides of the banks and just eat, so i drift minnows or float a crawler to keep it away from the crawdads- I caught a ten punder with about 3 feet of line out just dropping bait into rock holes. If you hook them in the current from the bank be ready to follow them downstream because they will take off and cut you loose on the rocks.

Whats_on_tap
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I've also caught a few here. *One was on power bait/worm combo up the river near the cable, below the Folsom Zoo. *Another was in a 12' Valco bouncing a worm down the river also near the cable. *18 lbs. and 13 lbs. *I've heard that during winter when the water in the lake cools some fish will move into the main body.

Rich

LordRooster
12-05-2007, 12:54 PM
sounds like this time of year a little hike up above Rainbow bridge is the perfect place to go. Those of you that are using baits with the currents there must be drifting the bait? Are you using bobbers with a good size leader or just letting it float down?

Whats_on_tap
12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I use a 1 or 2 oz. pincil wieght on a slider with about 18" to 24" leader. *Inflate the worm and cast straight out. *Casting up river will resutl in a snag under the very large boulders. *Fill the weight bounce a couple times until it stops, then wait. *Take a net, there are some hogs up there.

Rich

Mr._Striper
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I could be wrong but I think the state record is now 32lbs and was cought at Lake Natoma

LordRooster
12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I use a 1 or 2 oz. pincil wieght on a slider with about 18" to 24" leader. *Inflate the worm and cast straight out. *Casting up river will resutl in a snag under the very large boulders. *Fill the weight bounce a couple times until it stops, then wait. *Take a net, there are some hogs up there.

Rich

will do. Thank you sir.

norcaltopliner
12-05-2007, 08:23 PM
When the rain finally comes to stay, the big rainbows come out to play. You'll definately have to put in your time though. Prepare to be in awe of the freaklike football sized planters on steroids. I've seen a 12 and a 10 pounder caught the same day by my buddy. Green power bait I believe. Was amazed how fat those fish were. Fish the coves up river from the bridge when the water is high. Good luck.

dave_in_el_dorado
12-06-2007, 08:21 AM
these are the kinds of stories and information i was hoping to get from starting this thread and i want to thank all of you who are participating......great stuff.

natomas just strikes me as a deep dark cold kind of mysterious place holding giant fish in the shadows.......i lost many pencil sinkers above rainbow bridge never hooking the big one but tyring really hard. i remember that crayfish were a problem below the bridge if you fished a worm near the bottom.

many years ago one time at night with my brother and a friend we went for BIG FISH using BIG BAIT. i basically rigged a surf rod w/ a huge sardine and chucked it out under the old bridge. about a half hour later something really BIG took the bait and almost got the rod (ripped it out of the rocks i had it in). i had it on line for about 10 seconds and it broke off (30 lb test) down deep.....big trout? big catfish?, i'll never know.

good luck to any who gets inspired by this thread (lordrooster) and gives it a try.....anybody else have stories or suggested techniques? keep addin on here.......and thanks again.

LordRooster
12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
providing weather permits I plan on giving it a shot Saturday afternoon. I will post on how it goes.

tcbritton
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey dave did you get a chance to head out to natomas this weekend?

LordRooster
12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I did not, my kids got sick and I was at home helping the wife do vomit control. I'm hoping next weekend.