PDA

View Full Version : Sat 12-8 DEL VALLE

tragedyspring
12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Got to the line of cars about 7am got trolling by around 7 30- trolled out of the marina area towards the narrows and swallow bay- nada. Back to the dam area until about 12 pm or so picked up 2 by the dam on a silver/red slingblade and natural RGT about 10" behind with/worm at 15 ft OTW. Back towards the marina trolling - nothing, not even a strike. Used all the regular stuff and then some. Saw all of the bankies cathing fish all day. *Decided to troll the VERY shallow area to the left of the marina if you were looking at the lake. The finder read 3.2 ft deep for most of this area. *At this point in the day it was windy about 130 pm, cold, not much sun. Anyway started trolling a custom apex I had bought this summer while kokanne fishing with Capt. Ken (much thanks) in the sierras......and landed this 9lb 14 oz beauty.......

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/345/delvalle10lberly4.jpg

it was kinda wacky how I rigged it up - check this out-

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/6070/luresjd9.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5296/lurewbaitsk1.jpg

I only had about 50 ft out when He struck- also- my cousin landed a 5 lb 9 oz er *with a similar setup. In total trolling that very shallow water over there we landed 6 fish in about 45 minutes, and lost another 8 lb+ right at the side of the boat. *Ended the day with 3 myself and limits for my brother and my cousin. A very grreat day on the water. Saw woody out there he was doing good-and looking sweet with that killer boat of his. Said that he caught several out in heron bay area. So in conclusion - if all else fails try to fish the shallow end. its only averages about 4 ft deep so topline with something that floats or is made of plastic so it wont sink and get snagged. They just planted again so fishing should be great for another few weeks at least.

heres one for perspective

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8285/monsterinsinkzt0.jpg

Good Luck sniffers! Ill be up at Amador next weekend.....

fishmaster
12-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Thats a beautiful fish! Your right, thats a strange setup. But whatever works, right! Congrats.

12-09-2007, 07:36 PM
WHAT EVER WORKS, GREAT FISH

Woody
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Tragedyspring I will have to try that next time I'm out. I haven't fished that end of the lake in a long time. I'm glad you caught fish and more importantly you put your buddies on fish, that is always fun. It was almost like a minifest on saturday with all the sniffers that showed up. I know there were a couple of sniffers up there today but I haven't seen any reports.

See you on the water.

Woody

Old_School
12-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh my god it was definately your day. Congrats! That thing is an absolute monster. Howd that thing fight? Thanx for the report.

tragedyspring
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Old School- it took three times to the boat to finally get him netted- you'd think it would be easier with it only being three feet deep and all. ;D But not only that fish- like I said we also caught another big one about 5 lbs and 4 other 1.5 to 2 lbers, and also lost an 8+ lber right at the boat. ALL IN UNDER AN HOUR! The late afternoon bite at DEL VALLE is phenomenal. A couple of weeks ago I caught a 6 pounder right in front of the marina too. On a different lure. Id be interested to know how the bankies did over there on the shallow side. there were a few people fishing it.

Old_School
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I usually pack it in about 1, but will have to hold out a little longer next time. especially during these winter months. Thanx for the tips! Again nice job.

firetrout
12-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Tragedyspring Thats a great fish and glad to see you guys are knocking them dead! :o *I have never tried my apexs, but will soon.

Woody what were you using to get yours this weekend? *I'll be trying to get on the water next week, I hope.

johnbfishin
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm glad you got a nice fish there TS, that's a beauty.
I thought you said you had a radio??...all morning long I'm on 69 saying "radio check"....."Tradgetysprings do you have your ears on"......nothing.......the one guy I do know that was out there with a radio was laughing at me.....he said nobody uses a radio on Del Valle.....guess he's right. :D ::) 8-)

Captain Compassion
12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Anyway started trolling a custom apex I had bought this summer while kokanne fishing with Capt. Ken (much thanks) in the sierras......and landed this 9lb 14 oz beauty...........

Yikes!! I'm on the wrong side of the mountains. 9 and 10 pounders all over the place. Beautiful fish sir.

CC

Seon
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
...all morning long I'm on 69 saying "radio check"....."the one guy I do know that was out there with a radio was laughing at me.....he said nobody uses a radio on Del Valle.....guess he's right. :D ::) 8-)

If that's the case, what was he doing answering you :o? ;D.

I had the same experience today in the Delta. I asked if there were any sniffers out in the area...no one answered but there was a lot of chatter otherwise.