PDA

View Full Version : New Melones TR

Fish_Bully
12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
This isn't the best report from the subject lake but after a drive through patchy fog I found myself launching at about 6:45 this morning. I held it gagged as I departed Glory Hole, and with the toboggan hat flying in the chilly air, I finally arrived at Parrtos Ferry bridge with a red nose and watery eyes. The water temperature was 57.0F and it warmed to a balmy 57.4 when I called it quits a few hours later.

I top lined one pole with Apex tipped with crawlers and put the other presentation out 80' behind my DR ball, which was 15' down. This second rig sported a Sepps 4/0 dodger with an orange Trible Teaser 12" back. Both presentations were soaked in ProCure Threadfin Shad bait scent.

I trolled for a good hour with nothing. I detected fish on the electronics but couldn't entice a bite. Then I caught a 13" planter, released, then another 14" planter also released. Then it got cold on me again until a big pole bender occurred...but it didn't release from the DR. I picked up the pole, released it and started reeling with absolutely no resistance. Then I felt a little tug and figured I had another dink. Irritated, I reeled it the remainder of the way back with no further resistance and when it got along the starboard side I discovered how big it was....a 20" beautiful rainbow. This was without doubt the most boring catch I have ever had, especially for a fish of that size. I caught two other bows in the 14" range.

I met a sniffer (Bretsky) at the launch ramp and when I returned there were more Sniffer stars parked in the lot, one that said "The Beast". Good luck and I hope you all can provide a better success story than I.

Tight lines,

Flip

johnbfishin
12-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Sounds like things are picking up.

I don't know who "The Beast" would be. I know Mickey T. and SuperDave are fishing Melones this weekend but I don't think it's either one of them ::) ;D.

Thanks for the report Fish Bully, a 20"er is a nice bow for sure. 8-)

B-RAN
12-08-2007, 05:53 PM
man too bad that 20 incher couldent fight better >:( but at least you didnt get skunked ;)

Brettskih
12-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Nice meeting you Flip We went up river and got 10 bows left about 3:00 We met up with Mickey,Frank,Robbie,Dave at the launch. I think the beast was probably Martinez Frank.Nice day but real cold!Hope to see you again, Brett

Seon
12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Nice meeting you.... I think the beast was probably Martinez Frank... Brett

A beast in what way *:-? ? *;D ;D.

I also met Frank and his wife yesterday when he was enroute to the lake. *He was kind enough to drop off his GPS/Finder that I bought. *His new boat looks great and I'm sure he'll drag alot of fish on it. *;)

Martinez Frank
12-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Nice meeting you Flip We went up river and got 10 bows left about 3:00 We met up with Mickey,Frank,Robbie,Dave at the launch. I think the beast was probably Martinez Frank.Nice day but real cold!Hope to see you again, Brett

A beast? you mean the best :D ;)

Captain Compassion
12-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Nice report Bully. Ill have to live vicariously through you Western slope folks for a little while longer due to snow conditions. Maybe Tomorrow afternoon I'll try ICR if it aint frozen. Pyeamid on Wednesday and/or Saturday. Nice Trout.

CC

Dennis
12-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I think 'The Beast' is on the back of SuperDave's Dodge 1 ton dually. ::)